Official explanation from ACS regarding "Skill Level Requirement Met Date"

mcgyver

Hello Everyone,

First of all, I would like to thank the forum visitor, by the name "pattern", who sent me the useful link below to the official explanation made by ACS regarding the Skill Level Requirement Met Date:

http://www.acs.org.au/migration-skills-assessment/news-and-updates

Kindly have a look at the link and please scroll down to the correct section. It is an excellent piece of writing and the scenario shown as an example clearly explains what the Met Date is and what years will be included or excluded for points calculation, beyond all doubts.

But, the problem is, the EOI does not ask anything about the Met Date. Rather, it simply asks about the start date of the first job. If someone puts the start date, the EOI rewards more points to the candidate.

That may (in favour of the candidate) reward more points and make the invitation more probable. But, later on, a Case Officer from DIAC will calculate the points based on the Met Date and reward less points than previously calculated by the EOI based on answers given by the poor candidate to questions that the EOI system itself asked him/her. The rejection then becomes inevitable due to the discrepancy in points.

I know it is not ACS's responsibility to make comments on the EOI, but I do not know where to get official sources on how to exactly address this issue while filling out the EOI properly.

Please comment; anyone.

--- mcgyver

Hello again,

Someone gave a very interesting solution to the following problem below, in relation to my original post. Please have a look and share your comments.

Problem scenario:

Suppose I have been working for company X for 8 years as an Abcd Engineer, with the start date being Jul, 2005 and end date being Oct, 2013. And suppose I have a single reference letter from my employer mentioning these dates in it. Also, I receive a positive assessment from ACS stating that I am deemed "skilled" from Jul, 2007.

Now, how do I fill out the EOI if my assessment body is ACS? Do I split my job into two distinct segments whereby I show it as two different jobs?

Solution:

Some say that the current practice is to tick the "not related" check-box on the EOI form for work experience periods for which I don't want to claim points - for example, because it is before the ACS "skilled" date. The wording "not related" is definitely not ideal. (After all, the work experience is relevant but part of the ACS requirement to reach the "skilled" level.) But there isn't any better solution either!

So, the solution is to split the job duration into 2 parts and show the parts as jobs;

Job1 having the end date coincide with the "skilled" date and labelling it as "not related to ANZSCO"

Job2 having the start date coincide with the "skilled" date and labelling it as "related to ANZSCO"

Job1: Abcd Engineer

Company1: X

Start date: Jul, 2005

End date: Jul, 2007 (the date I am considered skilled)

Is this employment related to the nominated occupation? No

Job2: Abcd Engineer (same job)

Company2: X (same company)

Start date: Jul, 2007 (the date I am considered skilled)

End date: Oct, 2013

Is this employment related to the nominated occupation? Yes

One may wonder why it is necessary to mention part1 (job1) at all, since it will not be used in calculating points, but the argument goes that a candidate is supposed to mention the complete history of all jobs done within last 10 years.

Hello Everyone,

First of all, I would like to thank the forum visitor, by the name "pattern", who sent me the useful link below to the official explanation made by ACS regarding the Skill Level Requirement Met Date:

http://www.acs.org.au/migration-skills-assessment/news-and-updates

Kindly have a look at the link and please scroll down to the correct section. It is an excellent piece of writing and the scenario shown as an example clearly explains what the Met Date is and what years will be included or excluded for points calculation, beyond all doubts.

But, the problem is, the EOI does not ask anything about the Met Date. Rather, it simply asks about the start date of the first job. If someone puts the start date, the EOI rewards more points to the candidate.

That may (in favour of the candidate) reward more points and make the invitation more probable. But, later on, a Case Officer from DIAC will calculate the points based on the Met Date and reward less points than previously calculated by the EOI based on answers given by the poor candidate to questions that the EOI system itself asked him/her. The rejection then becomes inevitable due to the discrepancy in points.

I know it is not ACS's responsibility to make comments on the EOI, but I do not know where to get official sources on how to exactly address this issue while filling out the EOI properly.

Please comment; anyone.

--- mcgyver

Hi Mcgyver, Im having a similar dilemma. Have you had any other info on this... I already have a Skills assessment (issued on 2/8/11 and re validated in August last year for 2 more years as 262113 (Systems Admin) though it doesn't include the 'Skill Level Requirement Met Date' so I assumed and still assume that I can use the original 5 years of experience (I needed to qualify for the skills assessment) for both the skills assessment and for points..? I'm considering applying for a second skills assessment as a network admin(263112) as this is on the state list I want to apply to though it looks like I wont now be able to use the 5 years from now on and there doesn't seem to be a cut and dry answer in that scenario as to how you would submit the EOI anyway! Are positive skills assessments (pre 'Skill Level Requirement Met Date') still valid for both points and the positive assessment anyone know? Thanks

• 11 months later...

Good day,

I want to apply for the assessment for 261111 - ICT Business Analysts for the purpose of Independent Subclass 189. I have 7.5 years of work experience and 16 years of qualification as:

- Bachelors of Arts 2 years completed in 2007

- MBA 2 years completed in 2012

Moreover, I am a PMP certified Project Manager by PMI, USA.

My degrees don't have ICT units and I started my professional career in 2007.

There is a confusion in ACS Skill Level Requirements.

1- In the Skills Assessment Guidelines for Applicants document (on page 5) it states experience prior to the degree and experiences right after the degree is not countable/ eligible for migration points test.

2- But in ACS Summary of Criteria Requirements for a Suitable ICT Skills Assessment Result document it states if you have a bachelors degree or higher with Minor ICT content & not closely related to the nominated occupation, candidate should have 6 years relevant work experience completed anytime in past work history.

Please guide me as a major part of my experience is in between by BA (2007) and MBA (2012). Do I qualify to apply for assessment according to second point or not according to 1st point.

Thank you very much!

Thanks Ozee for your response.

After doing BA in 2007, my qualification was of 14 years. and I did MBA from 2010 to 2012 and it became 16 years. Now the confusion is in the following two things:

1- In the Skills Assessment Guidelines for Applicants document (on page 5) it states experience prior to the degree and experiences right after the degree is not countable/ eligible for migration points test.

2- But in ACS Summary of Criteria Requirements for a Suitable ICT Skills Assessment Result document it states if you have a bachelors degree or higher with Minor ICT content & not closely related to the nominated occupation, candidate should have 6 years relevant work experience completed anytime in past work history.

Please help me if my experience prior to MBA is countable or not.

Hi Mcgyver, Im having a similar dilemma. Have you had any other info on this... I already have a Skills assessment (issued on 2/8/11 and re validated in August last year for 2 more years as 262113 (Systems Admin) though it doesn't include the 'Skill Level Requirement Met Date' so I assumed and still assume that I can use the original 5 years of experience (I needed to qualify for the skills assessment) for both the skills assessment and for points..? I'm considering applying for a second skills assessment as a network admin(263112) as this is on the state list I want to apply to though it looks like I wont now be able to use the 5 years from now on and there doesn't seem to be a cut and dry answer in that scenario as to how you would submit the EOI anyway! Are positive skills assessments (pre 'Skill Level Requirement Met Date') still valid for both points and the positive assessment anyone know? Thanks

Logged your application as Skilled and provide all evidence. At the middle of evaluation if the ACS feel that you have lagged with the relevant qualification they will give you an option to change the application type to RPL and then t submit the RPL.

This happen to me. So most likly they will not assest your BA toward the skill employment. (OK what will happen they will state in your letter that the BA and MBA is equivalent to Bachelor so you can claim 15. But the date of skill employement will be something lesser. )

Archived