189 Visa and Step-son

tina0101

Hi

Can anyone clarify the position with moving out to Australia on a 189 Visa with family. My husband is applying for the visa (he's a teacher) with me and my son as the additional family members.

On the Australian Government website it says the following:

'You must prove that a dependent child is:

• your child, or
  • a stepchild from a previous relationship.'

My husband has never adopted my son and he is a stepchild from a previous relationship of mine - and it's not my visa we're going on.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm a bit worried now that we're going to have a problem!

Edited by tina0101

Hi

Can anyone clarify the position with moving out to Australia on a 189 Visa with family. My husband is applying for the visa (he's a teacher) with me and my son as the additional family members.

• your child, or

My husband has never adopted my son and he is a stepchild from a current relationship, not a previous.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm a bit worried now that we're going to have a problem!

Surely the child is a step-child from a previous relationship? A previous relationship of yours? If the child was as a result of the current relationship (i.e. you and your current partner) he would not be a step-child.

Hi

• your child, or

My husband has never adopted my son and he is a stepchild from a current relationship, not a previous.

He is a stepchild from your previous relationship....

Sorry, I've updated my question. He is from a previous relationship of mine - and it's not my visa we're going on.

This is not hard. He is your husbands stepchild and obviously from your previous relationship, if he were from your husbands previous relationship then he would be the child of the applicant, not the step child ...

Cheers Rupert. Sorry for the confusion. We were only worried because there is no paperwork linking him to me other than our marriage certificate as we never went through adoption process.

We we weren't anticipating an issue but saw a thread or paragraph somewhere which was a little ambiguous. :-). Just threw us.

Cheers Rupert. Sorry for the confusion. We were only worried because there is no paperwork linking him to me other than our marriage certificate as we never went through adoption process.

We we weren't anticipating an issue but saw a thread or paragraph somewhere which was a little ambiguous. :-). Just threw us.

Well if he was adopted he wouldn't be a stepson either, that would make him "son".