Remember to check your skin!

LKC

I had to go and have a small lesion removed from my chest today. I had noticed a small and flat bump on my skin, which occasionally bled and then crusted over, so I thought I should get it checked out. It was an actinic keratosis, which is thought of as a pre-cancerous lesion, and about 10% can turn in to a squamous cell carcinoma. It was frozen with liquid nitrogen, it didn't hurt, but I am so glad that I keep a careful eye on my skin and picked it up. Who knows, it could have been one of the 10%. I use sunscreen, cover up when I can and don't sit in the sun, but according to the doctor I am more prone since I have very fair skin, dark blonde hair, and green eyes.

So, just a reminder to keep an eye on your skin, and to take care in the sun. Maybe this will persuade my OH to be more careful :realmad:!

Glad your ok and caught it early, my Hubby burns himself to one extent or another every weekend :chatterbox: I have told him I don't know how many times but still it happens! This weekend it was his right arm that he burnt whilst driving. But he clearly knows best :nah:

Glad your ok and caught it early, my Hubby burns himself to one extent or another every weekend :chatterbox: I have told him I don't know how many times but still it happens! This weekend it was his right arm that he burnt whilst driving. But he clearly knows best :nah:

There have been a number of incidents of this for my hubby too. He is fairer skinned than I am, and I don't understand why he doesn't understand the consequences. I bought him some spray on no-rub sunscreen, but even that seems to be too much bother :frown:.

There have been a number of incidents of this for my hubby too. He is fairer skinned than I am, and I don't understand why he doesn't understand the consequences. I bought him some spray on no-rub sunscreen, but even that seems to be too much bother :frown:.

Hes getting better, cos I nag him :laugh: But not careful enough. He also has fair skin, lots of freckles and moles so the worst kind of skin......he thinks he doesn't have to apply sun screen to his legs cos his leg hairs protect him :eek: ....men.....

I have fair skinned, that burns easy, freckles and blue eyes and hubby is fair skin that tans easy, blue eyes.

he cooks himself and aims for a tan and I avoid getting a tan, slip slap slop etc wear sunscreen in a moisturiser every day

we have regular skin checks and one in 2010 picked up a melanoma on the inside of my arm - it looked like a tea stain, flat, light brown - but I noticed a slight change.

now I have check ups every 6 months, next one coming up.

it really is not worth the risk not to use protection when it is needed - I look like an idiot in a hat but I always wear one if out in the sun during high UV

Get the sun smart app from sunsmart - would you believe that today protection was needed from 9:40 to 4:40 UV high was 8

even on an overcast day the UV can still cause damage

I have fair skinned, that burns easy, freckles and blue eyes and hubby is fair skin that tans easy, blue eyes.

he cooks himself and aims for a tan and I avoid getting a tan, slip slap slop etc wear sunscreen in a moisturiser every day

we have regular skin checks and one in 2010 picked up a melanoma on the inside of my arm - it looked like a tea stain, flat, light brown - but I noticed a slight change.

now I have check ups every 6 months, next one coming up.

it really is not worth the risk not to use protection when it is needed - I look like an idiot in a hat but I always wear one if out in the sun during high UV

Get the sun smart app from sunsmart - would you believe that today protection was needed from 9:40 to 4:40 UV high was 8

even on an overcast day the UV can still cause damage

I don't have that app. I will get it, although OH doesn't have a smart phone, and he is the one who doesn't use sunscreen. I use WillyWeather app for my weather, and there is a UV index thing on there too.

Guest Guest16631

.......having lived most of my life in sunny climes......

.......and way before sunscreen became a must........

........I have over the years had various bits of skin removed.........

........but beware of becoming vitamin d deficient......

.........due to illness recently I haven't been outside much...( over a couple of years)...

.........and have ended up severely deficient in vitamin d ......living in qld....!

..........and all the things that go with it.......

..........it is a quite common problem......

...........going to far the other way.......

............it's finding that happy medium......safety.......!

.......having lived most of my life in sunny climes......

.......and way before sunscreen became a must........

........I have over the years had various bits of skin removed.........

........but beware of becoming vitamin d deficient......

.........due to illness recently I haven't been outside much...( over a couple of years)...

.........and have ended up severely deficient in vitamin d ......living in qld....!

..........and all the things that go with it.......

..........it is a quite common problem......

...........going to far the other way.......

............it's finding that happy medium......safety.......!

I agree. When we first moved here I followed the 'Slip, slop, slap' thing religiously. About 1.5 years after we had been here, I was diagnosed with Vit D deficiency, and recommended to get about 20 minutes of sunshine daily. Three years after that I have to have a pre-cancerous lesion removed. I use sunscreen when I go outside, unless it is just going to be for a few minutes, hanging the washing out for example. If I am out longer I use sunscreen or I cover up. It can be difficult to find the happy medium.

There is a doctor in Mornington who takes photos of all our moles and keeps them on file.

Every six months we go back in for a comparison.

Any that change get scraped off with a blade.

I have been lucky as I have done 28 years in Australia yet had none removed, but the wife has had 3 removed after only 4 years here.

There is a doctor in Mornington who takes photos of all our moles and keeps them on file.

Every six months we go back in for a comparison.

Any that change get scraped off with a blade.

I have been lucky as I have done 28 years in Australia yet had none removed, but the wife has had 3 removed after only 4 years here.

It is most likely to do with skin type. I am very fair. I have dark blonde/light brown hair (although dyed dark), very fair skin and green eyes, and from what the doc said today, it seems that my colouring is most prone.

Glad it was caught early LKC.

I have my annual check on Friday. I have hundreds of moles so need to be vigilant. I follow the UV alert and the rules (10 minutes a day during that time without sunscreen) to the letter for myself and the kids. I wasn't so careful when I was much younger though and spent a year here virtually on the beach when I was on a WHV.

My DH is the same as some of yours - has to be nagged to wear sunscreen etc. His face never ever tans (just goes red) so I have absolutely no idea why he keeps trying :mad:

It is most likely to do with skin type. I am very fair. I have dark blonde/light brown hair (although dyed dark), very fair skin and green eyes, and from what the doc said today, it seems that my colouring is most prone.

Sickly white Yorkshire Lass until she got here.

She slathers on sunscreen every day but is still getting a bit of colour.

Sickly white Yorkshire Lass until she got here.

She slathers on sunscreen every day but is still getting a bit of colour.

I was born in Birmingham, but mum and dad were both Yorkshire! I thought there was something in it!

Good thinking LKC, if in doubt, have it taken out :biggrin:

I can`t think of any man in my family that cares ( husband, dad, brother) :mad:. I do put on sunscreen and so do the kids but my husband keeps saying he won`t get sunburn having dark skin (olive toned) :swoon:. Of course he got burned badly on occasions. I work in an oncology hospital and I`ve seen melanoma in every single skin type, including black .

LKC and I are alike: fair skin, dark blonde hair, and green eyes. I’m a white man : )) And I have many birthmarks.

“doesn't have to apply sun screen to his legs cos his leg hairs protect him” Obviously (men) : ))

So pleased to hear that because of your vigilance you caught it early LKC. It really is a worry and I always ensure that the kids are suitably covered in factor 50+, however, I need to be a bit more consistent when it comes to applying my own sunscreen. Hubby is always reminding me to apply my sunscreen prior to going running and I have to admit that I avoid doing it sometimes. Your post has given me the wake up call I needed. Thank you.

We try to avoid heading out in the sun as much as possible and stick to shade etc. I've heard quite a few stories since being here about the rate of skin cancers - some even in teens!! Makes me glad my kids are all grown up and still in the UK I would be worried sick if they'd been here.

• 2 months later...

Where do you go to get checked? I've been wanting to do so since I got here, just not sure where to start!

I have hundreds of tiny moles all over my body and can't even vaguely keep track of them. New ones do appear wherever I've caught the sun... there are about 11 on the 3x1" strip of thigh where I 'missed a bit' last summer.

this is a big worry for me about moving to oz , however when on reccie last year i did comment to my husband how pale alot of ozzies looked - they looked like they had never set foot in the sun. i didnt see many people sun bathing ( odd few only ) either ... mostly in wetsuits etc , or covered up in light clothing and hats .. alot seemed to be very sun/ uv aware!

Archived