Health Insurance & dental cover for braces

Sulac

Hi we are recently arrived from the Uk. We are here as permanent residents and need advice on medical care. Our children were all told in the Uk that they would need braces in a year or two. We want to sign up to medical cover which includes dental cover which will eventually fund children's braces in 24 months or so. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sulac

You won't find one that will totally fund the full cost of braces but you'll probably get back about 1/3 IIRC. If you pay up front you will also exceed your Medicare threshold for the year and can claim that as a tax rebate at the end of the year which will give you a bit more back. We used HCF for years, it was ok.

As you are a permanent resident you can access domestic health insurance products so there is a wide range of choice and providers available including Bupa, Medibank, Iman, Ahm just to name a few.

Your best option may be to look for just an extras cover on its own or you can also find packages which combine hospital and extras cover.

Depending on the cover and the provider, the extras cover will be where you'll get coverage for orthodontic work. There is often a waiting period before you can start claiming on this so wise to shop around now as the waiting periods can often be around 12 months.

Typically depending on the level of cover you'll be able to claim up to a certain amount each year and then there might be a lifetime limit or maximum. e.g. $1000 annual limit and lifetime maximum able to claim $2200.

I'd suggest getting your orthodontist to put together a rough quote and to take that to the health insurance providers when you are shopping around to determine where you are going to get the best value.

I can put you in touch with someone at Bupa if you'd like some more specific information thats relevant to your needs.

• 3 weeks later...

The son of my best friend has just had braces put into his mouth. The total cost is about $12,000 of which she will be lucky to get even $2k back from BUPA. My husband needed a root canal, which cost a couple of thousand for that and a few other bits and pieces- think we got just under $300 back. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I don't really see the point of having private medical, other than to avoid paying the Medicare Levy Surcharge. Sure, you get to beat the long waiting lists for elective surgeries, but even then your out of pocket expenses can be quite hefty. If you are healthy and under the threshold for the medicare levy surcharge, a better option would be to stick a couple of hundred dollars into a high interest online bank account and let it accumulate for in the event of a medical emergency.

As you are a permanent resident you can access domestic health insurance products so there is a wide range of choice and providers available including Bupa, Medibank, Iman, Ahm just to name a few.

Your best option may be to look for just an extras cover on its own or you can also find packages which combine hospital and extras cover.

Depending on the cover and the provider, the extras cover will be where you'll get coverage for orthodontic work. There is often a waiting period before you can start claiming on this so wise to shop around now as the waiting periods can often be around 12 months.

Typically depending on the level of cover you'll be able to claim up to a certain amount each year and then there might be a lifetime limit or maximum. e.g. $1000 annual limit and lifetime maximum able to claim $2200.

I'd suggest getting your orthodontist to put together a rough quote and to take that to the health insurance providers when you are shopping around to determine where you are going to get the best value.

I can put you in touch with someone at Bupa if you'd like some more specific information thats relevant to your needs.

Thanks for that - I think you are probably right - I have heard so many different thing about private medical insurance. Thanks for the advice.

The son of my best friend has just had braces put into his mouth. The total cost is about $12,000 of which she will be lucky to get even $2k back from BUPA. My husband needed a root canal, which cost a couple of thousand for that and a few other bits and pieces- think we got just under $300 back. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I don't really see the point of having private medical, other than to avoid paying the Medicare Levy Surcharge. Sure, you get to beat the long waiting lists for elective surgeries, but even then your out of pocket expenses can be quite hefty. If you are healthy and under the threshold for the medicare levy surcharge, a better option would be to stick a couple of hundred dollars into a high interest online bank account and let it accumulate for in the event of a medical emergency.

• 1 month later...

I would be a bit bothered about getting quotes before you effect private medical insurance, because surely the malocclusion could then be regarded as a pre existing condition.

I am pretty sure you can "pay as you go" at the orthodontist.

I think when I was looking at "extras" with my medical insurance it was actually only ever going to give me back my own premiums, so I didn't bother.

I would be a bit bothered about getting quotes before you effect private medical insurance, because surely the malocclusion could then be regarded as a pre existing condition.

I am pretty sure you can "pay as you go" at the orthodontist.

I think when I was looking at "extras" with my medical insurance it was actually only ever going to give me back my own premiums, so I didn't bother.

Orthodontists all have payment schedules available, whether upfront or spread over a number of months.

Personally, I think it makes no difference to have dental cover as it barely offers anything in return. Putting money aside for dental costs is the way I go.

Archived