189 visa

davidbeag

Hey all.

As this is my first post on this i will try and keep it as short as possible.

I am going to apply for the 189 visa

My name is Dave and i am based in Leeds but originally from Ireland. My wife and I are hoping to emigrate to Perth next year.My trade fibrous plasterer (dry liner/ceiling fixer in UK) is on the list and i have done some of the online points calculators and am hitting 65 without doing my English test.

I am hitting high points as i have a Bachelors Degree in an unrelated subject (business management). Not sure if this will be good or bad for my application?

My wife is a primary school teacher which is not on the list.

I still have to undertake my AQF 3 and sit my English test.

Any advice regarding 189 visa will be appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

Shame on you Rupert, you've shattered all of my illusions of your knowledge wealth!! Lol!!

AQF is the Australian Qualification Framework, it's a bit like our NVQ. Some of us take these as TRA for one will recognise them as a trade qualification with no requirement for post qualification experience if you gain your AQF mainly through RPL (recognised prior learning). Taking mine was the difference between getting a positive skills assessment now or waiting three years for my NVQ to be accepted.

Sorry Rupert I should of explained that I got my high points on an online visa points calculator. I get high points as I have a bachelors degree.

cheers

dave

Sorry when I said where did you get the points from, I meant it might be worth providing the breakdown just so that someone can check it makes sense. As I mention it is unusual for anyone to get 65 points without anything for IELTS.

Closest I can get: 30 pts if you are between 25 and 32 yr old, 15 points degree, 15 points for 8 years work experience. Still only 60..?

Hey all.

As this is my first post on this i will try and keep it as short as possible.

I am going to apply for the 189 visa

My name is Dave and i am based in Leeds but originally from Ireland. My wife and I are hoping to emigrate to Perth next year.My trade fibrous plasterer (dry liner/ceiling fixer in UK) is on the list and i have done some of the online points calculators and am hitting 65 without doing my English test.

I am hitting high points as i have a Bachelors Degree in an unrelated subject (business management). Not sure if this will be good or bad for my application?

My wife is a primary school teacher which is not on the list.

I still have to undertake my AQF 3 and sit my English test.

Any advice regarding 189 visa will be appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

Some online points calculators are misleading and unreliable.

From what you have posted, you could not have achieved 65 points.

Any qualification (in any discipline) that is recognised as comparable to an Australian degree is worth 15 points. You cannot be awarded more than 15 points for academic qualifications.

If you get it wrong you are likely to waste considerable time, effort and money and be refused a visa.

May I suggest that you consult a registered migration agent for an assessment before you commit to course of action?

AQF 3 would provide 5 points once passed if he's included that as it's classed as a qualification from an Australian Institute.

They cannot claim the 5 points for this as well as the 15 points for the degree. They can only use the highest of the two, the degree, for the points.

They cannot claim the 5 points for this as well as the 15 points for the degree. They can only use the highest of the two, the degree, for the points.

On the skillselect points chart Educational Qualifications section is separated from the Australian Study Requirements, where the 5 points is allocated for the diploma/degree/trade qualification. Does this not mean you can qualify for both?

Edited by Gareth 666

On the skillselect points chart Educational Qualifications section is separated from the Australian Study Requirements, where the 5 points is allocated for the diploma/degree/trade qualification. Does this not mean you can qualify for both?

You can only claim points for one qualification. I believe there are an extra five points if the qualification was obtained in Australia, but that is not the case here.

You can only claim points for one qualification. I believe there are an extra five points if the qualification was obtained in Australia, but that is not the case here.

Yeah, just read the study requirements in more detail. Maybe it's changed since I did mine as I had mine granted on the basis of RPL and both skillselect and my CO recognised it. I was just trying to see where he had possibly got the extra 5 points from.

Rupert. You have hit the nail on the head. I have totally miscalculated somewhere along the line. I am just wondering now if i can actually use my degree at all as it is totally unrelated to what skills select will be assesing me for. I am confused though as they state to put down the highest qualification that you have. Any advice anybody?

Cheers Dave

Hey Wrussel

Thanks for the reply.

You are definitely correct about the online points calculators. I have not achieved the 65 points which i originally stated and i am going through the process of getting my aqf which starts on Monday. Its such a minefield of information out there. I may yet decide to go with a migration agent but i have heard some horror stories from those who have used them but also horror stories from those who done their own applications.!

Cheers

Dave

Rupert. You have hit the nail on the head. I have totally miscalculated somewhere along the line. I am just wondering now if i can actually use my degree at all as it is totally unrelated to what skills select will be assesing me for. I am confused though as they state to put down the highest qualification that you have. Any advice anybody?

Cheers Dave

There is no requirement for the degree to be related to the nominated occupation in the points test.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, Im extremely desperate now and really really need your feedbacks from anyone who knows the right answer.

My case is I completed the Bachelor of science in the University of Queensland, then I also completed the Foundation level of Cpa (which is 8 subjects in total) and got my positive skill assessment from Cpa as an accountant.

I lodged my EOI with 65 points,nominated skill as Accountant, claiming 5 points toward Australian study requirement as my Bachelor degree was done in Australia and took 3 years. I got invitation at 1st round and already lodged my application.

Now, one of my friend showed me the link http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/2-year-study.htmwhich says I can only claim 5 points from Australian Study requirement only if my Bachelor is closely related to my nominated occupation, and in my case Bachelor of science is no related to nominated skill as an Accountant. Is it true that we can only claim 5 points if the study is relevant? I rang up Diac and told them abt the link and they even couldnt give me a straight answer, the lady told me that she needed to check it again and would get back to me in a week.

Anyone used to claim points from unrelated qualifications? please please let me know. I would appreciate sooo much !!!!

If I cant claim those 5 points, i have to withdraw the application, lose all money and start over again. I dont want that and im so stressed now.

Cheers Dave

Yes you can use an unrelated qualification for points purposes. Its important to remember though that the unrelated qualification should still be assessed before you claim the points for it. This can be time consuming and expensive so sometimes isn't worth doing if you have enough points from other factors.