457 visa with a child who has high-functioning autism

I'm concerned that my son's autism will mean we will fail to obtain a 457 visa.

His autism doesn't 'present a danger to the Australian community' or require medical treatment. He's very high functioning. However, he does attend a special school in the UK. I don't think he would fare well in a mainstream school, in the UK or Australia.

Can anyone advise on what options we have?

Yes, talk to an agent who specializes in disabilities. You may not be barred from a temporary visa but you would probably have to pay extra for any disability support he may need - you don't say which state but that could be over and above the regular fees imposed.

The fact that he requires the intensive support of a special school indicates that your chances of a permanent visa down the track are low.

George Lombard and Peter Bollard are the agents usually mentioned in this regard

• 1 year later...
I'm concerned that my son's autism will mean we will fail to obtain a 457 visa.

His autism doesn't 'present a danger to the Australian community' or require medical treatment. He's very high functioning. However, he does attend a special school in the UK. I don't think he would fare well in a mainstream school, in the UK or Australia.

Can anyone advise on what options we have?

Hello Captain maracas,

Were you able to get the medical approved for your son's 457 visa? Please let me know as I am also in the same situation and might need expert advise to get through.

Thanks.

Hello Captain maracas,

Were you able to get the medical approved for your son's 457 visa? Please let me know as I am also in the same situation and might need expert advise to get through.

Thanks.

Captain maracas hasn't posted for a while. They did get the visa but it wasn't without difficulties after they arrived. Have a look at this thread started shortly after they arrived

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/news-chat-dilemmas/205696-does-get-better-2.html

Why put your child through the upheaval for a temporary move?

Actually, I am expecting a job offer from Melbourne and will get 457 with family. My son has mild Autism and I am not seeing any light at the place where I am right now! That was the primary reason for me to plan this move and in turn, was the reason to ask for medical approval on 457 for such cases. Please suggest in fairness if I am going in the right direction.

Thanks.

Actually, I am expecting a job offer from Melbourne and will get 457 with family. My son has mild Autism and I am not seeing any light at the place where I am right now! That was the primary reason for me to plan this move and in turn, was the reason to ask for medical approval on 457 for such cases. Please suggest in fairness if I am going in the right direction.

Thanks.

The thing that you need to remember, is that the 457 is a temporary visa and you might not be able to progress to a permanent visa. Medical matters are considered on a case by case basis. So you need to consider the upheaval of moving and then, possibly, having to move back later on.

The thing that you need to remember, is that the 457 is a temporary visa and you might not be able to progress to a permanent visa. Medical matters are considered on a case by case basis. So you need to consider the upheaval of moving and then, possibly, having to move back later on.

Thanks Bungo, you are absolutely right but what can I do when I have no other option left! At least, 4 year visa of 457 will give me some space to put my son in the right set of treatment which should be good and quality oriented in Australia (hopefully!).

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Bungo, you are absolutely right but what can I do when I have no other option left! At least, 4 year visa of 457 will give me some space to put my son in the right set of treatment which should be good and quality oriented in Australia (hopefully!).

Have you researched this and found evidence that on a 457 visa in Australia you are going to get better treatment than in the UK? Or is it an assumption? It sounds a bit unlikely to me to be honest.

Have you researched this and found evidence that on a 457 visa in Australia you are going to get better treatment than in the UK? Or is it an assumption? It sounds a bit unlikely to me to be honest.

I was thinking the same, especially as there are far better funded services in the UK compared to Australia. I would never recommend for anybody to bring their child from the UK to Australia if they have any sort of special needs. I write from an educational perspective and a knowledge of the lack of services and funding available.

However, perhaps the OP is not living in the UK? If so, then Australia may well be a better option.

If you want it you might have to pay through the nose to get it. Some states charge temporary visa holders for special ed support whereas mainstream education may be free - you'd want to be sure that you weren't going to have to pay for it. Ball park for a kid with high support needs with autism can be $20+k pa and if they have high support needs there is buckleys chance of them getting anything permanent.

If you want it you might have to pay through the nose to get it. Some states charge temporary visa holders for special ed support whereas mainstream education may be free - you'd want to be sure that you weren't going to have to pay for it. Ball park for a kid with high support needs with autism can be $20+k pa and if they have high support needs there is buckleys chance of them getting anything permanent.

Thanks Guys. I had some reservations about Australia from the special education/needs perspective. However, I have recently got NZ immigration and I am planning to make a move. Since NZ lies in the same region as AU so I was wondering if they could have same or NO provisions for special needs children specially kids on Autism spectrum?!

Is there anyone on this thread who can educate us about NZ? Or if there is an online resource / personnel to whom I can reach for the info before I landed there.

Thanks.

Archived