Cat Leads

Chortlepuss

My cat is a bit nervous, but desperate to go outside. Mainly to kill things I suspect. Has anyone tried a cat lead to walk their cats round the garden? I'm not sure he'll be too happy wearing one tbh and it seems a bit odd, but may be one way of getting him out. :animal-cat:

Hello,

There are two people in my neighbourhood who do this. One has a Siamese, and the other a very hairy cat! I do not know the breed. They take them around the local streets.

Both animals seem perfectly happy and clearly enjoy their walks. These people have won a lot of respect around here for doing this. A neighbour is also going to do the same thing when her new cat arrives. It is starting a trend which is good.:smile:

My cats are perfectly happy wearing the harnesses. I let them play around the house to get used to them first, but once outside they don't want to go where you want to go lol. I gave up in the end.

I have an outdoor cat run where they can get outside but not catch birds. :-)

chesterlead.jpg

We did when we first moved here. To be honest, our cat was not best impressed with it, but it was better than being shut inside and he soon got used to it. I knew several people in the UK who got their cats used to it so that they could go for walks (for instance, someone who went caravanning a lot). Generally, the younger the cat is, the more quickly they get used to it.

If you do decide to do it, get the cat used to wearing the harness indoors first. start with short periods, then build up. Once it is used to the harness and lead, then start going outside.

chesterlead.jpg

My cat is a bit nervous, but desperate to go outside. Mainly to kill things I suspect. Has anyone tried a cat lead to walk their cats round the garden? I'm not sure he'll be too happy wearing one tbh and it seems a bit odd, but may be one way of getting him out. :animal-cat:

I attempted it with my cat once. He immediately lay down and made himself a dead weight. I tried tugging him round the garden hoping he might get up but no, he was having none of it. That was 3 years ago and I am laughing even now at the memory!

:biglaugh:

When we first adopted Chester at 8 months old, I wanted to keep him indoors - but he had other ideas and would yowl for hours by the door! I got him a harness and leash, which he resisted at first but soon happily let me put on him as he knew he was getting out. After a few trips out though, he would go back to his yowling as soon as he got in - and would attack me quite nastily 'cos he wasn't getting his way. He seemed very unhappy... So eventually I started letting him have supervised runs around the garden without the leash.

All cats are different and some will take to a leash better than others - Chester was kind of halfway between deadweight and happily compliant! Chortle, I recall you are/were in Brisbane. You can borrow/have Chester's leash if you want? I live Northside and work in the CBD :o)

When we first adopted Chester at 8 months old, I wanted to keep him indoors - but he had other ideas and would yowl for hours by the door! I got him a harness and leash, which he resisted at first but soon happily let me put on him as he knew he was getting out. After a few trips out though, he would go back to his yowling as soon as he got in - and would attack me quite nastily 'cos he wasn't getting his way. He seemed very unhappy... So eventually I started letting him have supervised runs around the garden without the leash.

All cats are different and some will take to a leash better than others - Chester was kind of halfway between deadweight and happily compliant! Chortle, I recall you are/were in Brisbane. You can borrow/have Chester's leash if you want? I live Northside and work in the CBD :o)

That is a great offer Paisleylass - and thanks everyone for replies. I actually purchased a cat lead yesterday and am building up to testing it..... My moggy is not as bright as a Siamese, or as compliant as a ragdoll - but I can but try. I have only my scratch free arms to lose!

Why cant u just let it out? We just used to leave the window open n let the cats come n go as they wanted n when they were ready...is it to do wth where u live or something? Just curious..thinking about getting another one but dont fancy putting a lead on them..

Why cant u just let it out? We just used to leave the window open n let the cats come n go as they wanted n when they were ready...is it to do wth where u live or something? Just curious..thinking about getting another one but dont fancy putting a lead on them..

Many reasons. They might get hit by a car, attacked by dogs (happens a lot here as so many people keep their dogs outside), shot by cat haters (there are lots here also, luckily mostly not that mad, but there are some). The life span of an indoor cat is much higher than an outdoor one. Someone was telling me just on Friday about how they will aim for a cat if if is in the road!

Also, cats here kill native animals, some which are struggling as it is. Many people feel it is their responsibility as a cat owner to stop that happening.

Many reasons. They might get hit by a car, attacked by dogs (happens a lot here as so many people keep their dogs outside), shot by cat haters (there are lots here also, luckily mostly not that mad, but there are some). The life span of an indoor cat is much higher than an outdoor one. Someone was telling me just on Friday about how they will aim for a cat if if is in the road!

Also, cats here kill native animals, some which are struggling as it is. Many people feel it is their responsibility as a cat owner to stop that happening.

Also, in many places, they are also at risk of being bitten by a snake. We have a cat proof fence around back yard. It's the ideal solution - cats get fresh air, sunshine and exercise but without the risks. However I realise this is difficult if you are in rental accommodation.

I forgot all about snakes!

I just looked up the council area I am looking to move into and it says cats are fine outside UNLESS there has been a complaint about them going onto neighbours properties. In that case they have to stay on your own property.

Where we used to live had a high density of cats and my cat nearly always seemed to come off worst in any altercations. But it's the killing that gets to me, pointless teasing and killing, especially of gekkos/lizards. We also have a beautiful skink that lives in the drainpipe in the garden. I don't think the cat would touch it (it's big), but you never know. My cat is also pretty dim (for a cat that is), and I reckon wouldn't cope well with crossing roads... I did see a cat playing with a brown snake once, just tossing it in the air - cat was still there a few days later which surprised me!

Archived