Boarding school experiences

Cerberus1

Has anyone any experience of boarding schools ? - did you attend boarding school, are you a parent who's children go / went to boarding school? Interested in hearing experiences from both sides of the fence. Were children reluctant to go, did they view it as a punishment etc?

Reason I ask if that we've long pondered moving to a more rural location where in all likelihood, boarding school would be the only realistic option, however, we've never made that step as I've no doubt the reaction of our youngest son (aged 12) would be that it would be viewed as some form of punishment, we don't love him any more etc. and to be perfectly honest, the reality of him not being at home during the week may hit us hard. So please share your experiences, good or bad.

My father was in the Armed Forces so grew up moving from place to place. As kids my sister and I were given the option of going to boarding school. The subject was bought up on a few occasions but us kids flatly refused to go. I would have been heart broken if my parents sent me against my will, however.....I know now that it would have been far better all round for our education and to a certain degree stability if we had of gone. My education suffered a great deal due to all the upheaval.

So I would say that it's really a fine line whether you send them because you know it will be for there own benefit in the long run or you go along with what your kids want if they don't want to go ( which I suspect they won't). It's a very hard choice of which I'm not sure I could do even now.

Best of luck x

Guest The Pom Queen
Has anyone any experience of boarding schools ? - did you attend boarding school, are you a parent who's children go / went to boarding school? Interested in hearing experiences from both sides of the fence. Were children reluctant to go, did they view it as a punishment etc?

Reason I ask if that we've long pondered moving to a more rural location where in all likelihood, boarding school would be the only realistic option, however, we've never made that step as I've no doubt the reaction of our youngest son (aged 12) would be that it would be viewed as some form of punishment, we don't love him any more etc. and to be perfectly honest, the reality of him not being at home during the week may hit us hard. So please share your experiences, good or bad.

I've struggled letting go of our eldest who is nearly 20, I would feel a really sh1t mother to be honest.

My brother went to the top UK boarding schools, mixed with Princes and Celebrities, he always seemed happy, whereas me, my parents sent me to the local government school so I was the one who felt punished.

Guest Guest16631

.......I went to boarding school.......as did my sister.....

.......we were sent to the UK as living in Borneo the schools back then were too lacks in my fathers books.....

.......we were 8 and 9...... And on the whole loved it......

.......it's a very different atmosphere to day school........

.......ours was quite small .......chosen for its reputation on the well being of the girls.....as well as its academic achievements......

.......we only went home twice a year ......Christmas and summer holidays......

........other school breaks were spent with an aunt or within the school........

........I formed so e wonderful friendships there......

........yes there were negative points........

..........but if you choose the school with care it's a wonderful experience for a child IMO.......

..........it's how you sell the experience as well that counts........

I went to a boarding school in Oxford many years ago........fortunately I was a day pupil. My friends who were boarders had mixed views. In those days the school had a big snooker room and the over 16's were allowed to smoke and go to the pub in the senior forms.

many were from overseas and only went home once a year so missed their families a lot......although many went to visit the day boys at weekends which they seemed to enjoy.

I don't think many of them would have attended by choice but they mostly coped OK.

I went to 5 primary schools before I was 10, including Germany, because my father was in the army. Then luckily stayed in 1 place for senior school, but like others my education had plenty of gaps, my parents split up before I went to senior school so boarding school didn't feature, but I think it could be very disruptive to move during senior school years.

my husband went to boarding school from age 7, because it was what was done then where he lived, I think he missed out on family life.

My husband was in the RAF when we married, so history repeats, moved ours several times during primary school, but he left before they were senior school age, so older 2 went to day school for senior years.

then moved to Borneo, older 2 at university, youngest daughter had to go to boarding school, actually ballet school, very unhappy, moved her before she had real health problems, bordering on anorexia, but that was partly due to the dance pressures, eg body shape etc. so like Tink spent some holidays with her guardian, and flew home for the main ones.

she then went to a boarding 6th form college.

so no answers, everyone has to do what is right and in some cases necessary, but in an ideal world I wanted my children to go to a good local school and come home at night, but of course life is never that simple.

Tink fascinated you live in Borneo as well, we were in Brunei, and my step sister was in Sarawak in the 1960's.

Where and when where you there? We were there from 1993/2003

Guest Guest16631

.......hi ramot .........moved to sandakan in 1969............( ish.....so long ago lol...)

.......did go to the local primary for a while sung siew primary.......

........but spent to much time on languages ........so off to boarding school......

.........loved sandakan.........saw the beginning of the sepilok orang-utan sanctuary.......

..........we became rather wild children ...........the main reason for boarding school........

..........I think the huge contrast may have played a part in our love for the school.......

...........the ordilyness.......and a good age with a thirst to learn.......

........still maintain,chosen with care it's a good experience for many.......

.......hi ramot .........moved to sandakan in 1969............( ish.....so long ago lol...)

.......did go to the local primary for a while sung siew primary.......

........but spent to much time on languages ........so off to boarding school......

.........loved sandakan.........saw the beginning of the sepilok orang-utan sanctuary.......

..........we became rather wild children ...........the main reason for boarding school........

..........I think the huge contrast may have played a part in our love for the school.......

...........the ordilyness.......and a good age with a thirst to learn.......

........still maintain,chosen with care it's a good experience for many.......

You were in Sandakan about the same time I was in Zambia, but I was working there.

have visited Sandakan several times, love the Sepilok sanctuary and went to turtle island a few times.

I'm sure you have read the book series Land Below the wind by Agnes Keith.

as you say what memories. Been very privileged to live in several countries.

Again sorry everyone that this is off the boarding school thread, but fascinating where some of us have lived, but ended up in OZ.

I went to a catholic boarding school and so did my siblings. At that time the troubles were at their peak in Northern Ireland. As both my parents were lawyers dealing with some controversial cases and it had been found that home was not the safest place to be. Many of the other children at my school were in a similar situation. It was a very positive experience; the nuns were strict but very caring and I made some great friends. I guess health and safety was not so prevalent then as we were trusted to use the laboratory bunsens to heat up baked beans and cook sausages at night for supper. Now that I teach science myself I cringe when I think of that. Anyone over 16 could smoke in the sixth form common room. :eek:

Millie x

My husband went from age 9 and absolutely loved it - if you knew his family you'd know why!! His parents moved all over the world, so there really wasn't an alternative. He had fabulous holidays in amazing locations and went back to school for some stability afterwards. He also managed to get himself across some dodgy locations too - Beirut being one!

He would say that it was a positive experience, but one thing I have noticed is that he needs a lot of reassurance that we love him and he tells us he loves us all the time. Maybe that's a bit of insecurity from it? He also used to hate it when our girls argued when they were smaller and I had to tell him that it was a normal part of family life and growing up (his two sisters are a lot older than him so he didn't have sibling fights).

My oldest wanted to go when she was 13 (she didn't), but the younger two would hate it. I think it depends on the child really.

I work in a girls boarding house at a school in Victoria, we also have a boys house. Boarding schools in Australia don't seem to have the same clintel as in the uk. A lot of our students are from rural locations and education wise this is the best option for them. This is my 1st experience of working in a school and I absolutely love it and our 70 girls. I loved it so much I am about to finish my teaching qualification. If you have any other specific questions I will try and answer them.

All 5 of us went to various boarding schools in the UK, I boarded from 8-18yrs.

I loved prep school until I was in my final year. By aged 12 I stopped automatically doing as I was told, I think I may have out grown prep school by then, and was 'asked to leave' about half way through the final year.

I tried my local state secondary but really struggled to make the transition as it was such a different world. I couldn't believe how nasty some of the children were towards each other, how disrespectful they were towards the teachers, and how most weren't motivated to learn. So I played truant for a term and my parents didn't really mind, I'd already learnt everything on the syllabus for that term anyway.

Then I went to a little known secondary boarding school from 13-16 which I enjoyed - like prep school everyone was basically nice to each other, the extra curricular opportunities were brilliant and I did sport every day. (It was only once a week at state school!)

Then I did my A-levels at one of the famous public schools. I got on fine here, but being a scholarship kid from a middle class background, or perhaps a lower middle class background, rather than from the aristocracy or upper class, I have to say that by the time I got to Uni I realised that 90% of the kids I did my A-levels with were arrogant *****, and I became a bit of an inverted snob!

Thank god I've escaped the British class system by emigrating to Australia! Heh!

The public school I went to have some kind of ex pat society here in Sydney, they probably find each other jobs etc, but I wonder touch touch it with a barge pole!

Hubby and his four brothers went to boarding school, in Rep of Ireland, he loved it. He made a lot of friends, ate well, played a lot of sport and did well at school. His parents worked long hours so it was a good option. He would love to send our boys to boarding school, but our eldest 15 will not entertain it. I would hate them being away, but a lot of kids here in rural NSW go to boarding school.

HI

It was important to us that our daughters grew up with a strong Australian identity as a means of achieving this we sent them to boarding school in Australia

we will not be arriving in Australia until mid 2014, so three years ago our twelve year old arrived in Australia to board and last year when her sister turned 12 she joined her. the girls, who have very different personalities have loved it, they are hugely enthusiastic, and though very close to their family, will be sad to swop from boarders to day girls when we arrive in Perth. The other parents have been hugely supportive and can't do enough to help. The school has strong pastoral links and all the boarders see themselves as sisters. As parents we have found it incredibly difficult to be without our girls only time will tell if its the right decision.

Our nearly 15 year old returned this term with an Australian accent, it seemed really wierd!

I think it is really important that you choose a school to fit the child not fit the child in to a school you like. Hope that makes sense. Have a really good look at what the child is interested in, is he academic or more of a sporty kid ? Some boarding schools take day, weekly, and term boarders. Have a family member in the mines in WA and there child flies to QLD to go to boarding school as it fits the child. Childs grades have gone from C and D to A and B in 9 months. Boarding schools today are very different to the "old" days. Most children love it, once they settle in. All there friends do the same things, movies, trips away, so no fighting with mum or dad about going out with mates. Send for lots of information and go through it with your child so the decision is made together not made for them.

Archived