How to read visa grant letter

peterjoel76

My wife has been granted a visitor visa but I am not sure how to read the grant letter.

Below are details from grant letter.

---------------------------------

Visa grant date 1 August 2013

Last Date to arrive 1 August 2014

Stay For/Until 3 months

Entries Multiple

Visa Stream Tourist

Below are details from VEVO.---------------------------------

Visa grant date 1 August 2013

Visa expiry date 2 December 2013 (She arrived here on 2nd September 2013)

Visa status In Effect

Entries allowed Multiple entries to and from Australia during the validity of your visa

Must not arrive after 1 August 2014

Period of stay 03 months

I am not sure if she can remain in Australia for a maximum of 3 months with multiple entries

OR

She can remain here with multiple entries of maximum 3 months each and the last entry could be before 1 August 2014?

Isn't the expiry date on VEVO the expiry of her current 3 month stay? The grant letter and VEVO both give a latest entry date of Aug 2014, and the grant letter says multiple entries with a maximum 3 month stay each time.

Isn't the expiry date on VEVO the expiry of her current 3 month stay? The grant letter and VEVO both give a latest entry date of Aug 2014, and the grant letter says multiple entries with a maximum 3 month stay each time.

That's what i am confused about. There is no line in grant letter which clearly describes it.

The grant letter does give a latest date of entry, says the visa is valid for multiple stays and that the maximum length of a stay is 3 months

My experience with a similar visa is that each stay can be up to the maximum length, not the total time spent in Australia can be no more than that length.

My understanding is that she has 3 months from the first day she arrived and during this period she is allowed multiple entries, however being out of Australia does not mean that counting stops. After 2 December 2013 she will not be allowed an entry with the current visa.

Stay For/Until 3 months - this sounds like 3 months in total, not 3 months per entry

Must not arrive after 1 August 2014 - this means that the starting date of the 3 months visa should be made before 1 August 2014

P.S. This is just my opinion, I might be wrong.

I held a 1 year visitor visa before which in reality meant I could stay for 2 years as I was allowed re-entry, so in effect I could stay for 364 days, leave then arrive on the last day of my visa and stay for a further year.

I understand that your wife's visa means he can stay a maximum of 3 months but she can immediately return for 3 months and can do that until the visa expires. Each time she re-enters Oz they may ask her to prove how she will pay for her stay i.e. no work. The more time she spends in Oz the more likely they are to look into it.

I am not sure if she can remain in Australia for a maximum of 3 months with multiple entries

OR

She can remain here with multiple entries of maximum 3 months each and the last entry could be before 1 August 2014?

The second one applies. She has a multiple entry visa so can come and go multiple times within the year that the visa is valid for.

She needs to leave by 2 December 2013 as that's when her current 3 months expires - but she can return the following day for another 3 months, if she wants to.

She could even arrive on 1 August 2014 and get a three month stay.

Of course, as Flatpack says, she needs to prove to Immigration that she's still a genuine tourist each time she arrives. They don't like people 'living' in Australia on tourist visas.

The second one applies. She has a multiple entry visa so can come and go multiple times within the year that the visa is valid for.

She needs to leave by 2 December 2013 as that's when her current 3 months expires - but she can return the following day for another 3 months, if she wants to.

She could even arrive on 1 August 2014 and get a three month stay.

Of course, as Flatpack says, she needs to prove to Immigration that she's still a genuine tourist each time she arrives. They don't like people 'living' in Australia on tourist visas.

Thanks NickyNook, did you have such an experience or is it just a guess. I still can't figure out cause half of the people are saying one thing and half are saying the other. I am trying my best to call DIAC today.

Ok, Here is an update. I just rang DIAC. They said she can come back multiple times before 1 August 2014 but she can only stay for a max of 3 months each time. Even if she comes back on 1st of August 2014, she can stay for 3 months!!

Thank you so much for your help guys!!!!

• 4 years later...

Hi All

I have the same problem.  I have visa 476 and I'm living in Australia now . and I wanna go to my home country(on 26 March 2018) . but I dont know I can do it or not based on my visa information. if you have any idea pls help me.

Information of my visa grant notice:

visa grant date: 28 June 2016

must make first entry to Australia before: 11 June 2017

must not arrive after: 28 December 2017

travel facility: Multiple

---------------------------------

Information of my VEVO:

visa grant date: 28 June 2016

visa expiry date: 06 December 2018

initial stay date: 06 December 2018

must not arrive after:  06 December 2018

enter before date: 11 June 2017