Family visiting. What to do

VERYSTORMY

When my niece and nephew came to visit us in Perth they loved doing the simple things. Yours seem to have had exciting lives so far too, so maybe getting back to nature, camping etc might appeal to them too. I know it'll probably be hot in Feb, but kids who have everything and have every minute accounted for enjoy mucking about in the soil and using their imaginations. I wouldn't suggest it for the whole time they're with you, but you shouldn't wear yourself out unnecessarily!

I used to nanny in London where the kids went from play date to play date to music lesson, to gymnastics. When we took them away at the weekend they would disappear for hours grubbing around in the garden and building dens. They loved it, just being free to be children.

We are planning kings park.

We live in mandurah, so dolphins and things are on the list.

Don't think pinnacles will go down well (to be honest even as a geo they don't interest me let alone a couple of young kids)

It's the wrong time of year for whale watching (arriving early feb)

Have thought about Kalgoorlie but, it takes a fair chunk of time and their only here for 11 days.

Never heard of the ship wreck museum so that might be a good one. One of the kids is really into pirates.

I am very biased but Fremantle has a lot to offer including the Shipwreck museum (followed by lunch at Little Creatures!) but don't over think it, we are very well travelled but it's often the simplest things that give the most pleasure. And parents of 6/7 year olds are happy if their kids are happy and they can relax. I agree with everyone re: King's Park - the glass walkway to impress the parents and Sticky Beaks playground for the kids (plus coffee's!). AQWA and Hillary's generally.

The Swan Valley is another option - some lovely wineries for lunch, Supa Golf with the kids, the chocolate factory.

Whiteman Park - feeding kangaroos and cuddling a wombat is always on a tourists must do list :)

Perth Hills National Park Centre - go late in the day and watch the wild kangaroos come out once most of the day visitors have gone. You can do Mundaring Weir in the same day and there is a nice family friendly pub there.

Yanchep National Park - lots to do there, caves, aboriginal cultural show and kangaroos again at dusk

I don't think Pinnacles/Wave Rock are worth the trips - we did like the Pinnacles and our at the time 8 year old enjoyed it to (mainly because him and my OH played 'who can find the rock that looks most like a penis' game mind :rolleyes:) Wave Rock was the biggest waste of a 1000km trip ever.

If you do want to go further afield then the South West has a lot of appeal to first time visitors and you're already half-way there in Mandurah.

Let's face it, it's not like you're always banging on about how great the place is, you have no reason to impress them - they will probably come with their own ideas of what they want to see and do anyway.

(I had a weeks holiday in Middlesbrough recently and had a fabulous time so come on Perth isn't THAT bad :)))

I'd do the night time Fremantle prison tour, plus you have the dolphin watching tours from Rockingham, we did both theses with visitors and both were really good. As previously said I. Another post penguin island is good day out, take a picnic and some fishing rods do a check to see if there are any outdoor cinemas on in February as well. Or you have the Captain Cook winery and chocolate cruises, as well as perth mint, take a trip up the swan valley for a wine tour, I think they have some in horse drawn carts?

Ooh yes, the prison tour...although I don't think the night one is good for 6/7 year olds, the recommended age is 10 plus

Loads of fab ideas submitted already. if you can pick up some bargain flights and a scoopon offer too I would recommend flying to Exmouth, 3 nights at the Novotel Ningaloo and lazy days up and down the Ningaloo Reef, Sandy Bay is just breathtaking when the sea is a millpond!!!

Closer to Perth, the Pinnacles aren't a whole day but still well worth seeing, why not drive up to Wedge Island, take the snorkel, boogie board and a lovely picnic and have a relaxing day in a lovely unspoilt secret place, drive the car right up to the shore, walk across to The causeway to the little island and take in the awesome ambience of somewhere not many Perthites go plus the history of the Shacks, how they came to be, the endeavors of those in the 30's and 40's, and the fact they'll possibly be gone in a few years, as the sun sets head to the Pinnacles, 20 mins drive away and do the Pinnacles at sunset...followed by a lovely drive home while the kids are blissfully snoring away from all the sun, sea and sand... Done it many times, it's one of the best days out in summer and no matter where in the world your relatives have been I'm certain they will love this too.

You've made it sound so good I think I'll take my youngster soon. The road they have put through from Lancelin has made the drive a lot better and more interesting. We've been up to Jurien Bay a couple of times and taken the bikes a couple of times. Never made it to wedge yet, we'll have to give it a go.

they're coming to see you, not where you are. how about you ask them what they'd like to do? particularly if you don't think the beach/bush is necessarily 'their thing'. They may be happy to head into the city for a day while you take the kids to Rottnest, and all meet up for dinner...

Archived