3 Weeks - 3 States - 3 Blokes - 2 Sheilas and a dog

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Phew I am exhausted just writing the title.

I have lots to share, took over 1000 photos but I won't bore you with them all.

I was suppose to fly back last Friday but when I collapsed in Kununarra we stayed an extra few days then travelled all the way through to Darwin which knackered me up again. Anyway Rob stayed with me until I was stronger. He left at 6am this morning for the drive home and I leave on a flight tomorrow night at 8pm, would you believe Qantas came in cheaper than Jetstar

I have so much to tell you all and will probably do this in different threads to break it up, but firstly I want to say a huge thank you to Bob, Jo and PJ without them this trip would not have been so special, they were saints putting up with me and working their holidays to allow me to split my time between camping and cabins.:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::wubclub:

Sshhh don't tell Bob but I got quite emotional leaving them. They are the best people you could ever want as friends.

A quick break down of the trip was:

Cairns to Agate Creek

Agate Creek to Richmond

Richmond to Ranken (sp)

Ranken to Gemtree

Gemtree to Alice

Alice to Churchills Head

Churchills Head to Mataranka

Mataranka to Katherine

Katherine to Duncan Road

Duncan Road to Kununarra

Kunnunarra to Keep River

Keep River to Kununarra

Kununarra to Wyndham

Wyndham to Kununarra

Kununarra to Palmerston

Palmerston to Darwin

Darwin for me flight home

Darwin to Three Ways

Three Ways to Richmond

Richmond to Cairns

Total distance covered 10,050 km (6,244 miles)

triproute.png

It was a very rewarding camping trip...in more ways than one (Katie :arghh:). Met really beaut people who fitted in with the scheme of things so well.

Squillions of mineral specimens, squillions of pics, Squillions of native stingless bees!...And a beaut barra!:laugh:

A truly fascinating adventure, indeed!

Cheers, Bobj.

Only a few of the pics, Cerberus has the rest;

'Triple' sunrise, Keep River estuary, NT.

Camping89to3102013022_zps70a56557.jpg

A metre plus barra. Difficult to photograph in 41 C temps and slippery mud bank

Camping89to3102013019_zps468d8ffe.jpg

Threadfin salmon, better eating than barra. Both fish returned safely.

Camping89to3102013027_zps39e2e2b2.jpg

Jabiru out in the middle of the Keep River estuary.

Camping89to3102013024_zps729d8bba.jpg

Brolgas out in the middle etc...

Camping89to3102013028_zps0aaaffcd.jpg

Pelicans out in the middle etc...

Camping89to3102013009_zpsb4ac7915.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

A bloke whom we met out on the Keep gave us a barra; only a tiddler at 78 cm. It was despatched and a few fillets put in the frypan...The frame was left out for the buzzards (wandering kites) to pick clean.Camping89to3102013066_zps66832517.jpg

An Australian bustard near the quartz patch, Duncan Rd, NT.

Camping89to3102013034_zpsba75d378.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Pom Queen

image.jpg

Lol a trip never passes without our faithful 4x4 ending up in the repair shop, thankfully this time it was the boot that wouldn't open and nothing mechanical. Toyota at Charters Towers were superb, they dropped everything and sorted it out straight away, what is more they only charged $50

image.jpg

What a wonderful and tire-ing trip it was:SLEEP:

but I'll tell you what the minerals I found

was the best I've got in my whole life thanks

to a very special beaut old bloke :wubclub:

lovely campsites lovely people nice and quiet

how much better can it get?:biggrin:

but what's best is after a hard day digging the

ground what's best just to sit under the stars and relax:cool:

Old Bloke Leaves Beaut Pommy Family In Desert...

Hot off the press! An old bloke was showing a beaut young pommy family a fossicking area along the Duncan Road, some 65 km south of the turn-off with the Victoria Hwy in the Northern Territory desert. It was at least 39 C in the waterbag and he suggested that they all have lunch in the shade at the Behn River, "the big dip", about 2 km away. The old bloke and his wife thereupon left the scene to look for a good, shady area.

Now, this road is 'off the tourist track' and only about 6 vehicles travel it on any given day. So, the old bloke was off the road by about 70 metres and his wife mentioned to get back on the Duncan, "just in case they (the pommy family), miss us", At that moment, the old bloke saw a shower of dust as a vehicle went charging past. The dilemma for the old bloke was, 1, that musta bin the pommy family and the beaut Mrs Pommy was suddenly taken crook. 2, that musta bin the pommy family and they missed the old bloke off to one side of the road or 3, could it have been another vehicle in that deserted desert?? Nah, no one was behind the old bloke. Musta bin the pommy family.

The old bloke and his wife agreed that the pommy family had (a), missed the old bloke, or (b), gone to Kununurra in a hurry.

So, the old bloke set of lickety split after the cloud of dust quickly receding to the north. The old bloke got to the WA/NT border and had to go through the border patrol and get searched for any foodstuff. While there, he asked if a beaut young pommy family had just been through. The border chappie had not seen any one fitting that description so...

The oldies turned around and headed back to the Duncan and the "big dip". Some way down that road, they came across the BYPF stopped at the side of the road.

And we all lived happily ever after.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Pom Queen
Old Bloke Leaves Beaut Pommy Family In Desert...

Hot off the press! An old bloke was showing a beaut young pommy family a fossicking area along the Duncan Road, some 65 km south of the turn-off with the Victoria Hwy in the Northern Territory desert. It was at least 39 C in the waterbag and he suggested that they all have lunch in the shade at the Behn River, "the big dip", about 2 km away. The old bloke and his wife thereupon left the scene to look for a good, shady area.

Now, this road is 'off the tourist track' and only about 6 vehicles travel it on any given day. So, the old bloke was off the road by about 70 metres and his wife mentioned to get back on the Duncan, "just in case they (the pommy family), miss us", At that moment, the old bloke saw a shower of dust as a vehicle went charging past. The dilemma for the old bloke was, 1, that musta bin the pommy family and the beaut Mrs Pommy was suddenly taken crook. 2, that musta bin the pommy family and they missed the old bloke off to one side of the road or 3, could it have been another vehicle in that deserted desert?? Nah, no one was behind the old bloke. Musta bin the pommy family.

The old bloke and his wife agreed that the pommy family had (a), missed the old bloke, or (b), gone to Kununurra in a hurry.

So, the old bloke set of lickety split after the cloud of dust quickly receding to the north. The old bloke got to the WA/NT border and had to go through the border patrol and get searched for any foodstuff. While there, he asked if a beaut young pommy family had just been through. The border chappie had not seen any one fitting that description so...

The oldies turned around and headed back to the Duncan and the "big dip". Some way down that road, they came across the BYPF stopped at the side of the road.

And we all lived happily ever after.

Cheers, Bobj.

:laugh: :laugh: Come on Bob you had enough of us and was looking for a quick escape :wink:

This pommy family reached the Behn River searched both sides and no sign of Bob and Jo so we thought we must have had it wrong and he said bend in the river, so off we started back to our old camp, half way there we thought no sod it he must have said the Behn River so went back again still couldn't find him, so decided he was either a) hiding very well, b) meant last nights camp or c) he had done a runner.

So we headed back up to the camp, again no sign, we waited there a while but then were worried that something had happened to Bob or Jo at this time we had no fuel and 2 empty fuel cans on top. We knew he hadn't passed us so he must have been back down there. Rob said well we can get there but probably won't get back, I said I don't care we need to see if they are ok, so we started going down the track again slowly to conserve fuel when behind us appeared a white car and Rob shouts its BobJ.

It turns out that like Bob says there was a car in between us and it confused us all. Either that or Jo told Bob he couldn't leave us after all and he had a change of heart :wink:

:laugh: :laugh: Come on Bob you had enough of us and was looking for a quick escape :wink:

This pommy family reached the Behn River searched both sides and no sign of Bob and Jo so we thought we must have had it wrong and he said bend in the river, so off we started back to our old camp, half way there we thought no sod it he must have said the Behn River so went back again still couldn't find him, so decided he was either a) hiding very well, b) meant last nights camp or c) he had done a runner.

So we headed back up to the camp, again no sign, we waited there a while but then were worried that something had happened to Bob or Jo at this time we had no fuel and 2 empty fuel cans on top. We knew he hadn't passed us so he must have been back down there. Rob said well we can get there but probably won't get back, I said I don't care we need to see if they are ok, so we started going down the track again slowly to conserve fuel when behind us appeared a white car and Rob shouts its BobJ.

It turns out that like Bob says there was a car in between us and it confused us all. Either that or Jo told Bob he couldn't leave us after all and he had a change of heart :wink:

My story is better...:laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Pom Queen

Ok now Rob has shown me how to get the photos, I will post some more.

After we finally caught back up with BobJ he took us to a place called Secret Gorge, I have to say it was beautiful, I could live there in a little tent (would have to have a proper bed, bathroom and aircon though)

IMAGE_960.jpg

IMAGE_959.jpg

IMAGE_967.jpg

IMAGE_960.jpg

IMAGE_959.jpg

IMAGE_967.jpg