Is camping popular in Australia?

Bouncy

Just wondering if camping is something that is popular in oz? We love camping and have all the gear, is it worth bringing it over? Also we've been thinking about buying a trailer tent, is it ok to put these in a container? Any issues with transporting a trailer tent from the uk to oz?

Thanks for any replies!!

Enjoy camping back here in UK, but wife not too keen on sharing campsites in Oz with BIG spiders. Is it a concern there?

People ask about spiders all the time and the answer seems to be that most se eno more spiders here than in UK. I would maintain that once more. I look out for snakes though, although I think this is pretty rare too.

People ask about spiders all the time and the answer seems to be that most se eno more spiders here than in UK. I would maintain that once more. I look out for snakes though, although I think this is pretty rare too.

My son found a python in his tent whilst camping with the scouts. A lesson to zip on exit if ever there was one!

We have discovered camping since living here in Aus and love it! There are so many lovely camping grounds to choose from and nearly all have great clean facilities. We are going on a 4 days trip to Bunderburg this week end (Bagara) and can't wait.

Spiders are not really a problem unless your bush camping within the trees but depending where and when your camping, you do have to watch out for snakes a little. :wideeyed: If you liked camping in England...you'll have a ball here!

Happy camping x

Yes, camping is very popular - unless you have super duper stuff though I'd think twice about bringing it, camping equipment is going to result in AQIS inspection and it would have to be 100% clean (preferably cleaned with a MAFF approved disinfectant) because of the UK foot and mouth problem they are very hot on anything used outdoors. Camping equipment is plentiful in Australia and one of the few things I found cheaper. i actually begged my OH to buy a really good tent to bring back but as he pointed out they are designed differently to ventilate the heat rather than keep out the rain which is probably another reason to buy there.

We took sleeping bags, camping cooker etc. with us but left the tent and bought new there, just a cheap one which we have brought back. No absolute reason not to take it though - we took bikes which get equal scrutiny but they were easier to clean of course.

Our movecube has just arrived with our tent in it, so I am looking for a nice place to go camping within a few hours of Melbourne, any suggestions? Preferably a european style camp ground with green grass, not wild looking ground due to girlfriend being affraid of camping due to snakes/spiders :).. want to ease her in... I saw a camp ground on the great ocean road with a beautiful lawn

Archived