Scottish not British...

whichway1

Well, with the Kingdom of the Netherlands, there are 12 provinces or counties. 2 of those counties are, North Holland and South Holland, Those along with 10 other provinces (and a couple of Caribbean islands) make up the Netherlands.

So, it would be kind of like, people outside England, calling the whole of England Cornwall, just because there is a county in England called Cornwall.

Does that make any sense? I hope so, sometimes I'm not too good at explaining things. Hope it helps anyway. :-) x

It does, thank you :)

Are the two "Holland" counties historically the dominant counties that make up much of the country or something ?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It does, thank you :)

Are the two "Holland" counties historically the dominant counties that make up much of the country or something ?

Well, dominant I suppose, yeah they could be. Both The capital city, Amsterdam; and the seat of the Government and royal palace, which are in The Hague are in the Hollands, so is Rotterdam and they are both fairly prosperous, so Yeah, I see what you mean, I'd never really thought of it like that.

They don't take up much of the country though, space wise. There is much more of the rest of the Netherlands, than there is of just "Holland."

But the whole place is pretty small anyway, but I'm still proud of it! :-) x

When you say 'people who are FROM THE UK persist in calling me English' where are 'they' from?

Typically, they are from England. I used to flat share with and English woman and an Irish man. The English woman always used to ask me when I was going back to England, and lots of questions about when I lived in England. She knew I was Scottish and didn't live in England, I'd told her several times. The only reason you wouldn't notice it if you were English is because you are English, people are not going to say so when are you going back to Scotland.

My flat mate is an example. People I used to work with do it, people I would meet who detected my British accent would do it, some people you would correct and they would say things like "Britain, England same thing". This has nothing to do with a prejudice of a nation on my part or others. This has to do with a certain ignorance of some people - who wouldn't even know they were doing it until it was pointed out.

People are taking this entirely out of context, I am not talking about people who mistake where I am from. I don't mind at all being asked where I am from, if I am talking to a Scot I'll tell them the town, if I am talking to a Brit I'll tell them I am from Scotland if I am talking to a kiwi or an Aussie I'll probably say the UK or Scotland. It's like how people say the Queen of England (now for all I know that might be her official title) but it's ignoring all the other countries in the UK. Do you see what I am talking about?

Well, with the Kingdom of the Netherlands, there are 12 provinces or counties. 2 of those counties are, North Holland and South Holland, Those along with 10 other provinces (and a couple of Caribbean islands) make up the Netherlands.

So, it would be kind of like, people outside England, calling the whole of England Cornwall, just because there is a county in England called Cornwall.

Does that make any sense? I hope so, sometimes I'm not too good at explaining things. Hope it helps anyway. :-) x

This is so what I am talking about. I used to call the Netherlands Holland until I was educated otherwise. This is exactly what happens when people call the UK England - especially English people. Just wondering do people form Holland ever refer to the Netherlands as Holland.

What the English forget is that without the rest of the countries that make up the UK they would be irrelevant on the world stage. Hence why the UK government does not want to lose Scotland.

No your right they don't want the paper making industry going down the gurgler when anyone north of port Patrick gets their free prescriptions.anyway sticks and stones and all that.i have Scottish ancestry my Grandad was a graham but I was born and bred in England I have been called Scottish/irish.Does this bother me in oz no way.ii am English and proud.i love both countries and people.

This is so what I am talking about. I used to call the Netherlands Holland until I was educated otherwise. This is exactly what happens when people call the UK England - especially English people. Just wondering do people form Holland ever refer to the Netherlands as Holland.

I guess some refer to it sometimes as Holland when speaking to Foreigners, which doesn't help matters, but when Dutch people are speaking with other Dutch people, no. Never.

It also winds me up when people call the whole of the UK as England. I've got family in Scotland and my Mammy is Irish so I'm lucky that I have been educated. It's great having parents from various countries! :-)

As a Dutch speaking/Dutch citizen though, I'm ALWAYS getting mistaken for a German in the UK. Now that winds me up! So I understand where you are coming from.

Archived