10 Pound Poms Wanna come back,HELP!

clara111

Hello Everyone,

Im not sure how common this question is but here you go….

A friend of mines parents come over to Western Australia around 38 years ago and had their PR visas,After a few years they returned back to the UK without being made citizens. They are still there in the UK but my friend their son has lived here for over 8 years and has been a citizen for a good few years too. His parents are getting older and come over at least twice a year and they are desperate to come back and live near to their son.

With them already having PR in the past is there a way they can return without putting in thousands and thousands and thousands.

Ive done a bit of research and thought the 155 visa maybe an avenue they could go down but im not sure?

Can anyone advise me?

Thank You

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I'm not certain about this, all I will say is this is quite common, a lot of folks emigrating and returning back home before getting citizenship and later on wanting to return. I hope it works out for them.

Hi Clara,

The rules about Holding a PR visa have changed considerably over the years and the expiry of these visas can have different conditions than today's visas.

I think you will need to contact a Good agent to find out what chance they have of getting back. I have heard of visa holders from years ago and because the visa was issued under different circumstances they could come back to Australia to live. Contact a good agent such as " Go Matilda " or " Visa Bureau" and get to talk to someone who knows about the ins and outs of visas issued many years ago.

We were in Oz on a PR Visa for 4 years and left over 20 years ago still on the PR. We have recently applied for a RRV, on our own no agent needed. After 20+ years we have both been granted RRV's. They have a good case if their son is a citizen I think well worth a try

Sorry need to clarify last statement just re read your post. If they have been over on holiday visas this means their PR visa has been officially cancelled as their holiday visa has now taken precedent and cannot be reinstated. Nearly 99% sure on this. Sorry

Im not sure what visas they have been coming over on actually,i will ask this but im guessing its a holiday visa. So you think that because new visas such as the holiday visas have been issued that there PR would have been cancelled?

This doesnt sound good does it!?

Putting there case to an RMA would be the best thing they can do. An agent can look through facts of case and be able to tell them

if its worth putting in an application.

The amount of time they have been away they have likely lost any pr status they may have had. There maybe other options for parent visas. Go Matilda have fact sheets on parent visas and could be good agent to contact.

Hi Clara/All

My mum and grand parents went over April 1970 grandad returned 1 year 11mths later, although my gran came back a bit sooner there is no record of her every leaving Australia!!

My mum spent two years and 4 days in Australia before coming back home and never returning to Oz. They were on the 10 pound pom scheme. I'm trying to find out if mum can return and the details of the assisted passage conditions etc. Hoping I can have some sort of claim to residency. Trying to find out the details of her status I'm hitting dead ends, but do have proof of her being there from passenger records. It appears the department of immigration borrowed their original assisted migration documents in 1971 for reason unknown and they were never returned. I'm trying to find out why immigration wanted them back then. I hope it was to process citizenship applications as mum remembers talk about citizenship although there is no record of them ever being citizenship. She was classed as a minor due to her age the time 19 years.

Have you got any further with your question?

Mum remembers grandad voting over there. From what I understand PR's are not allowed to vote so I hoped they had citizenship, but the archives have said no. At the same time archives website says they may well of had it but there is no guarantee that a record would exists.

Could anyone shed any light on this bit??

Richard

Hi Clara

No need to go to expense of agents just ring the embassy in London and make the enquiry direct. We found them very helpful. We had not been back since we left Australia hence had not used any other Visa except our original PR one. But had applied for a holiday visa when we found our our original Visa might be still Valid. When we contacted the embassy they told us if we used/activated on entry the holiday Visa we had been granted we would automatically legally cancel the PR Visa and this would never be able to be used again legally, end of story.............so no doesn't sound very good. the only other options would be the Contributory Parent Visa at a huge cost. But to put your own mind at rest maybe you should give them a ring

just to clarify that point......hope this helps

Temporary Residence

Migration Branch

Australian High Commission

The Strand | LONDON | WC2B 4LA

Tel: +44 (0) 20 7887 5981 Fax: +44 (0) 20 7887 5775

Mum remembers grandad voting over there. From what I understand PR's are not allowed to vote so I hoped they had citizenship, but the archives have said no. At the same time archives website says they may well of had it but there is no guarantee that a record would exists.

Could anyone shed any light on this bit??

Richard

I can. Prior to 1984, Permanent Residents could be on the electoral roll (and thus were able to vote). From 1984 onwards, only citizens could get on the electoral roll. So today some long-term PRs are able to vote.

Unfortunately for you, you cannot conclude that because your grandfather voted in the 1970s, he must have been a citizen.

Archived