IELTS general letter writing

jen140977

Hi.

Good luck with the IELTs.. I passed 5th time around! :mad:

During your letter writing exam, it is more about the opening of the letter, the structure of the paragraphs, and the way you conclude the letter.

I wouldn't add date and address, unless you are struggling to reach the target word count..

Hi.

Good luck with the IELTs.. I passed 5th time around! :mad:

During your letter writing exam, it is more about the opening of the letter, the structure of the paragraphs, and the way you conclude the letter.

I wouldn't add date and address, unless you are struggling to reach the target word count..

Also, leave a clear line between paragraphs, so it doesn't look like one big block of text.

(Space like this between para's)

It is a test on how you write and layout your letters, good punctuation and grammar are a must,

regardless of your knowledge on the subject matter..

They don't need the date nor the address on the letter, only the begging "Dear ..." and the ending "Best Regards," and write your name afterwards.

Although it might be late but this site is very useful for preparing http://www.ielts-blog.com/ you'll find tips for every part of the test and also recent tests from all over the world.

The main advice though is don't be nervous, you're just attending the test to know where you stand and whats your level, its not a battle, if you didn't get the result you want know your where your culprits are and try again.

Just remember a simple rule if writing a formal letter: Never mix your s's.

So if you start the letter: Dear Sir, you must end it, Yours faithfully.

If you start the letter; Dear Fred/Mary/Mr X/Mrs S, you must end it, Yours sincerely.

Sir and sincerely do not go together.

Kind regards/Best wishes etc only go on letters to close friends and family.

My mother was an English teacher and drummed this into me at an early age.

Archived