Some concerns about immigration

pashton86

Hey folks,

I've been a viewer of the site for a while and have finally spurred myself to join. Admittedly over a matter of self interest!

A bit of background, my partner (Australian) and myself (British), are not yet in the position to apply for either a skilled migrant, or partner visa for me to move out on a permanent basis, been working for the government here, but that's wrapped up now and the new job will allow me to apply for either.

So over the last 2 years, I've visited her on an ETA a number of times, normally with gaps of at least a few months, and I've never been able to stay longer than 6 weeks due to work. She moved up to Darwin recently, and I flew over in July to visit, was quizzed by a second person about my plans etc and finance, found it a bit worrying but took it as a spot check and was allowed to carry on my way.

I flew out again to return back to blighty 36 days later, and the odd thing was that on exit the chap at the desk scanned my passport on 2 machines and then made me wait while he called immigration, before dismissing me with a cheery "it's all good mate". No idea what the issue was!

This was even more disturbing as I'm sure you can imagine! So on returning home I applied for a new ETA which was granted in the customary 15 mins so I'm probably worrying about nothing. However I'm flying back to visit again on Friday, as I've been given 6 weeks leave from the new job (already I know! But the perks of working at sea!) and I'm a bit concerned about whether I'm doing something wrong.

I've always stuck to the terms of the visa, never stayed more than 7 weeks (no where near the 3 months), don't work out here etc. I have got a bank account, purely to make spending money cheaper, but that's apparently not an issue according to DIAC.

I guess I'm just looking for reassurance from anyone that's been through something similar, I've nothing to hide, but I wouldn't want to muddy the pitch given that if they find something wrong then I'm unlikely to see the girl I love for quite some time!

Cheers in advance for the advice!

Archived