holidays in december

norah9

we are planning a holiday to possibly bali/vietnam in december and wondering if anyone has been there at this time of year.i believe it can be quite wet in bali then but as we are living in wa we are looking for somewhere that wont incur hours and hours on a plane. we have 4 children youngest being 10 and they would be up for visiting somewhere different. anyone got suggestions? thanks,

Skiing in Japan? It will be a nice respite from the heat.

Bali is not to everyone's taste and personally there is nothing that would have got me there. The friends I have that enjoy it essentially go for cheap food and drink, unfortunately the visitors from Australia have pretty much destroyed any other reason to go. I think there probably are still unspoiled places but you'd have to do your research well, we almost got tempted and then found the road to the place we were looking at could have featured on the 'worlds most dangerous roads' and in rain we'd have been cut off. Unspoiled tends to mean lack of infrastructure too.

Vietnam would be a preferable option (based again on friends reports) but no idea about the impact of the rain.

To be honest the lack of places I'd be interested in traveling to that I could actually afford was a contributory factor in the decision to return.

My wife went to Bali. Her view was that the beach areas where most of the tourists go are vile - make Benidorm look appealing. She enjoyed her time in the hills - she was a long way from anywhere, but there would be limited things for a family. She was at a ladies health / yoga retreat.

it depends on if you go to North or South of Vietnam. I went in November (2009) and it was really rainy in the south (Nha Trang downwards) but much brighter and no rain the northern parts. And when I say really rainy, I mean rain like I have never seen before (flip flops floating off down the street, etc)!

• 3 months later...

Bali is range of destinations that suit young visitors looking to party and the more serious travellers looking to soak up the fascinating culture and distinctive artwork, there are Bali holiday packages to suit everyone.

it depends on if you go to North or South of Vietnam. I went in November (2009) and it was really rainy in the south (Nha Trang downwards) but much brighter and no rain the northern parts. And when I say really rainy, I mean rain like I have never seen before (flip flops floating off down the street, etc)!

Maybe you were unlucky or I was lucky. I also visited Vietnam in November and it was lovely. :biggrin:

Archived