Registering a relationship - useful or not?

kazzo96

I was recently told about the ability to register a relationship in your chosen state (for me NSW) this process provides you as a defacto relationship for the purposes of any given law... I.e the defacto / spouse visa. This sounds wonderful although I wanted to know if anybody had done this and how much it had impacted on your visa applications.

The other thing is that me and my Australian boyfriend are going back to the UK for Christmas, in which time ill be applying for an offshore defacto visa, both he and myself will then reside there until I am given any confirmation. Does anyone know if registration of our relationship is processed before we go back to the UK is worth it or a waste of time as ill be applying for an off shore visa?! I'm still going to wait for the 12 month requirement but wanted to register for the purpose of a bit more security and evidence that we are serious.

what are people's thoughts on this process?!?!

Thanks!!!

I would also love to see some examples of it in practice, nobody ever comes back to tell us if they got a visa.

Will definitely pass on any news if and when there is any in my daughters application. Application wasn't rejected when submitted late dec. after relationship registered in Sydney. No news so far, but as she has lived in several countries before coming to Oz, the police checks aren't straight forward especially from Mexico (past a joke) !!! She has been contacted by CO about the latter and also had her work restrictions lifted, so has had contact from CO. don't know if it speeds up or helps the application to register, but if you are running out of time to be allowed to stay in OZ, then it makes sense if your relationship is serious to register it so you can lodge your application, and stay here legally,

Further to the above, out of interest, does already being married speed up the application? Or does nothing make a difference, married, in a de facto registered relationship, or 12 months together does your application just goes in a queue irrespective of your status?

I had relationship registered in QLD. This waived the 12 months (had only been 9) and I got granted in a couple of weeks.

Just to add I applied onshore in Brisbane

Edited by Guest

Guest GeorgeD
I had relationship registered in QLD. This waived the 12 months (had only been 9) and I got granted in a couple of weeks.

Just to add I applied onshore in Brisbane

Bugger...wish I had seen this post...I've spent the last hour on and off at work searching for this link http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/162498-registering-relationship-partner-visa-2.html#post1936130543

I knew there was someone who had definitely posted about it!

Further to the above, out of interest, does already being married speed up the application? Or does nothing make a difference, married, in a de facto registered relationship, or 12 months together does your application just goes in a queue irrespective of your status?

Doesn't make a jot of difference as I understand it.

The only difference can be in getting a temp visa or PR visa from the off. That can depend on length of time together, children together and other things.

I registered our relationship, made no real difference - still took 11 months to get my visa and still sent heaps of other evidence too. Remember there is a 28 day cooling off period before they send you the certificate too. I did it as a safeguard a we'd been living together in Aus for 11 months 28 days, and also on and off in the UK. I think it's mostly useful if you don't meet the 12 month living together criteria or if its a bit sketchy. Otherwise I'd save the $140ish cost.

Guest GeorgeD
Doesn't make a jot of difference as I understand it.

The only difference can be in getting a temp visa or PR visa from the off. That can depend on length of time together, children together and other things.

As snifter says, it only changes which visa you may be eligible for...the procesing time doesn't vary based on your circumstances