Which Bank to use

Guest Mrs C

Guest Mrs C

Hi All,

Mr C has asked me to rack your brains!

Any recommendations for Ozzie Banks. When we sell the house, will need to open an account and are thinking of doing so over here.

Are there any banks to stear clear of? etc etc.

all your help would be appreciated.

April

Guest Liz and Paul

Hi,

We opened a bank account with Westpac while we were still in the UK - you can do this online on their website, we had our bank account number sent to us within a week and used HiFX to transfer our money to Oz - supposedly offer a better rate of exchange than the UK High street banks. Online we were able to select the branch we wanted our account held and when we got to Oz we just had to go in and show id and were able to access our funds immediately, just had to wait about a week for our debit cards, but we could withdraw money over the counter in the meantime. The staff in our local branch are really friendly and Westpac is one of the largest banks in Australia so there are cash machines everywhere. You are charged over here if you use another banks cash machine, so its useful to find them everywhere.

Other major banks here are ANZ, Commonwealth, St George, can't remember any others off top of my head.

Liz

Guest Mrs C

Hi Liz

Thanks for the info, just something else to thinks about..............

Need to sell the house first......lol

We have got some paperwork on ANZ and there is a branch up at Canary Wharf! But just wanted a bit of input from the guy's on here first.

Thanks again

April

Guest Mrs C
Hiya we used ANZ ,they have been great so far ,and ive no complaints.The account was very easy to set up from the uk and you just visit a branch here on arrival to activate it for withdrawals,hope this helps a bit

Cal x

Thanks Cal,

Will pay them a visit I think! Get some more info etc.

Guest Mrs C

Thanks Everyone,

I have opened a can of worms here! Will have to get Mr C to put the thinking cap on again....lol

Hi April, We have been pondering this one too!! I know we see lots of Commonwealth Banks in Australia, thats the one that stands out in my mind the most.

I was thinking it may also be an idea to think about where you are going to be settling and making sure that the bank you choose has a branch nearby - maybe!!

Will keep an eye on this thread to see what other peeps experiences / thoughts are

Guest Mrs C

Oh Kim

As ever your wise words are much appreciated..

It is just a thinking point at the moment, but when we sell the house we'll need to think more about which bank to use.

There is soooo much to think about....lol

If you are arriving new in the country then I can recommend Bank of Queensland which has branches in every state and is growing. It is a second tier bank but the service is first class as each Branch is owned by the Manager and he/she gives personal service and you get their mobile number as part of that service guarantee! Bank of Queensland Australia. Banking and finance.

Nice to have a manager willing to sit with you and help with bank accounts, credit cards, home loans etc in person and in plain english!

best wishes

Liam

Guest JoanneHattersley

Just be VERY aware of the bank charges here. For some banks they can be very high. You get charged for EVERYTHING here unike the UK where there are no limits on the amounts of bank transactions per month. We are with a "certain bank" who we went with as we were recommended to them. We got their credit card in order to gain points. What they never told us was, once you reach a certain number of points you cant claim any more until the year is up! Now that was a con to me!

Have a good shop around before you make a choice

Just be VERY aware of the bank charges here. For some banks they can be very high. You get charged for EVERYTHING here unike the UK where there are no limits on the amounts of bank transactions per month. We are with a "certain bank" who we went with as we were recommended to them. We got their credit card in order to gain points. What they never told us was, once you reach a certain number of points you cant claim any more until the year is up! Now that was a con to me!

Hi Jo,

Uuummmmmmmmmm you do have to be careful, im with Westpac and they charged me 65cents for a mini statement from a westpac atm ............... we also have a ANZ account where we suppose to pay $5 month and unlimited transaction but we still seem to get charges there too - what bank was it - bankwest im gonna have a look at that, thanks for the tip

gizmo

Guest JoanneHattersley
what bank was it - bankwest im gonna have a look at that, thanks for the tip

gizmo

I know that there is a branch in the city near Eagle Street. As far as I am aware there are no bank charges and they give you quite a high percentage on your savings!

Bloody shame really tho as I am having some building work done! Got no savings now!

Guest theblueboy1969

Hi guys,

Use to work with Westpac for 3 years and they are pretty good for access and what you get for your money, also good internet banking. I have most of my accounts at NAB as i have my loans with them and they are good as well. Bankwest are certainly growing and are owned by the UK bank HBOS, they are really competitive and offer some great deals. Overall all banks here charge you for whatever they can get away with. Banks in the UK are much better but life here is wonderful !!!! Good luck :smile:

Guest Pinhead

I have an account at CBA and only have good things to say about them (had it about 5 years now).

No problems maintaining it etc even from the UK.

Guest Pinhead
Can anyone advise as to which oz banks are not affiliated with any uk banks as i am a bankrupt? thanks!:no:

I don't believe CBA are affliated with any bank in the UK.

CBA London office couldn't even access my oz account so I very much doubt they are in communication with any UK bank check on your financial status.

You could always drop them an email and ask. Not from the the standpoint of a bankrupt but from someone who wishes to do cross border business.

Guest silversurfer 16

We are with Commonwealth Bank opened it in UK found the staff very helpful & nice It all depends what bank you have near you bear in mind if the cash machine isnt your bank they will charge for withdrawers & if you have a cheque book they will charge for every time you write a cheque

Guest Mrs C
We are with Commonwealth Bank opened it in UK found the staff very helpful & nice It all depends what bank you have near you bear in mind if the cash machine isnt your bank they will charge for withdrawers & if you have a cheque book they will charge for every time you write a cheque

Oh Hi

Thanks for that bit of info, it is similar to my account here in the Uk as it is a business account.

There is so much to think about isn't there!

April

Guest Pinhead

If you keep $20K in your CBA account they don't charge you any bank charges.

Guest JoanneHattersley
If you keep $20K in your CBA account they don't charge you any bank charges.

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Alright if you have $20K!!!!

Guest MikeCormack
:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Alright if you have $20K!!!!

Exactly. And if you do have a spare $20k you would be better off putting it in an interest yielding account earning $100-150 per month instead of saving $5 per month on fees!

Archived