What is it you miss living in Canberra?

Maggie2012

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, Koko Black choccies are very good - too good perhaps - and contributed significantly to the burgeoning waistline! Their iced chocolate is to die for!

The organic local stuff is better than Koko Black stuff. It definitely isn't pommy vegolate!

• 2 months later...

Galaxy chocolate. We had a chocolate tasting day at work and all the Aussies preferred UK chocolate. Bloody wish they hadn't as I ended up giving away most of my last care package.

Poms are you aware there is a sweet shop in Gold Creek selling UK and US sweets, drinks and Chocolate. More expensive than Woolies but a bigger selection.

• 2 months later...
but how can one miss the sunshine?

Very easily. I've lived in Australia 35 years but ever since menopause hit (which is several years now!), I can't handle the heat. Add to that the fact that my husband had a basal cell carcinoma removed from his cheek last year, and you'll understand why summer has become a nuisance for us rather than a blessing. He's worried about exposing his skin to the sun, and I'm a puddle of sweat!

Very easily. I've lived in Australia 35 years but ever since menopause hit (which is several years now!), I can't handle the heat. Add to that the fact that my husband had a basal cell carcinoma removed from his cheek last year, and you'll understand why summer has become a nuisance for us rather than a blessing. He's worried about exposing his skin to the sun, and I'm a puddle of sweat!

Yup! I don't miss the heat either as I've got older. Anything over 25C and I'm wilting!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Lots of discussion about chocolate, I could assume there is lots of comfort eating.....

To answer the OP - I miss ...

The isolation, (generally) unfriendly people, awful ettiqutte on the roads, electric garage door syndrome, appaling manners (especially at super market check outs.....10!... 10 what? Oh sorry, you mean "that's 10 dollars please"?), lack of sense of community, boredom, loneliness, total lack of anything interesting to look at on the landscape, deathly trees and straggly flora, flies and killer magpies, a pulse, cheer, existing,..god do I continue.....and its meant to be Australias capital city?????? Aldrin and Co must have felt like this on the moon.

Seriously though, Quoll, I admire you (and anybody else) who did a significant stretch in this place. I don't how you did it.

Lots of discussion about chocolate, I could assume there is lots of comfort eating.....

The isolation, (generally) unfriendly people, awful ettiqutte on the roads, electric garage door syndrome, appaling manners (especially at super market check outs.....10!... 10 what? Oh sorry, you mean "that's 10 dollars please"?), lack of sense of community, boredom, loneliness, total lack of anything interesting to look at on the landscape, deathly trees and straggly flora, flies and killer magpies, a pulse, cheer, existing,..god do I continue.....and its meant to be Australias capital city?????? Aldrin and Co must have felt like this on the moon.

Seriously though, Quoll, I admire you (and anybody else) who did a significant stretch in this place. I don't how you did it.

LOL Bora - and it's one of the better places in Australia to live! At least it sort of has seasons!

Too right about the comfort eating! 50kg of it!

• 1 month later...

not sure we're living in the same city, Bora. I have an over-full life, feel surrounded by friends, regularly watch cracking sunsets over the hills from my back deck, and love the ever-changing seasons and colours in the landscape. I think it's a great city (though I'll agree with you on the driving etiquette!) :)

• 4 months later...
not sure we're living in the same city, Bora. I have an over-full life, feel surrounded by friends, regularly watch cracking sunsets over the hills from my back deck, and love the ever-changing seasons and colours in the landscape. I think it's a great city (though I'll agree with you on the driving etiquette!) :)

sunniecat I couldn't have put it better myself! Each to his own and I can fully understand that, while I love the heat and the endless blue sky days, for others its misery. However, apart from Canberra drivers, whom I've learned to laugh at, I don't see any of those things Bora has mentioned in my new home. Its been over 3 years now and I have a full and happy life with a new set of hobbies and wonderful and supportive friends and neighbours, blinding views of the Brindabellas to wake up to each morning and the sight and sounds of a whole new set of wildlife. I've no idea what 'electric garage door syndrome' is but my remote controlled, huge, 2-car garage, certainly beats the crap out of the damp, single car garage, that flooded in the rain, with a wooden door, too narrow to actually park in that I used to own!

I miss the Lake District, but that's ok, I can still visit.

I miss fish and chips

I miss the pub (but not much - and the George does Old Speckled Hen which is good enough)

I miss its 'oldness'

I don't miss the grey, suffocating skies and 6+ months of depression each year

I don't miss the stupid property market or the stupidly tiny proportions of most houses

I don't miss the M4 (or the M3 or the M25 or the M42 or the M6 or the M62)

I don't miss sodden fields, knee deep in mud and horses with mud fever and frozen troughs and frozen hands and frozen legs

I shall stop now :cute:

Guest krackajak
sunniecat I couldn't have put it better myself! Each to his own and I can fully understand that, while I love the heat and the endless blue sky days, for others its misery. However, apart from Canberra drivers, whom I've learned to laugh at, I don't see any of those things Bora has mentioned in my new home. Its been over 3 years now and I have a full and happy life with a new set of hobbies and wonderful and supportive friends and neighbours, blinding views of the Brindabellas to wake up to each morning and the sight and sounds of a whole new set of wildlife. I've no idea what 'electric garage door syndrome' is but my remote controlled, huge, 2-car garage, certainly beats the crap out of the damp, single car garage, that flooded in the rain, with a wooden door, too narrow to actually park in that I used to own!

I miss the Lake District, but that's ok, I can still visit.

I miss fish and chips

I miss the pub (but not much - and the George does Old Speckled Hen which is good enough)

I miss its 'oldness'

I don't miss the grey, suffocating skies and 6+ months of depression each year

I don't miss the stupid property market or the stupidly tiny proportions of most houses

I don't miss the M4 (or the M3 or the M25 or the M42 or the M6 or the M62)

I don't miss sodden fields, knee deep in mud and horses with mud fever and frozen troughs and frozen hands and frozen legs

I shall stop now :cute:

Own a horse(s) here?

Guest krackajak

Go away and fast!

Own a horse(s) here?

Not at the moment krackajak. Been too many things going on and I want to wait until I'm on a decent sized property before I dive back into horses again. Probably another year or 3 yet before we look at moving out of Canberra.

Guest krackajak
Not at the moment krackajak. Been too many things going on and I want to wait until I'm on a decent sized property before I dive back into horses again. Probably another year or 3 yet before we look at moving out of Canberra.

The ACT has the highest horse ownership per head in the country so you're in the right area. Land around Canberra is expensive though.

• 3 weeks later...
Go away and fast!

Jees Krackajac I was having a krackers day wasn't I? I just seemed to go on and on and on and on and on till there was nothing nice to say. I hope I didn't touch on anything.

Don't worry no fear of bumping into me - I did go away and I went very fast !

Guest Stansted
Jees Krackajac I was having a krackers day wasn't I? I just seemed to go on and on and on and on and on till there was nothing nice to say. I hope I didn't touch on anything.

Don't worry no fear of bumping into me - I did go away and I went very fast !

Always good when a stinkin' pommy bastard leaves.