A great plan: How to open a UK bank account when living in Aus

kaztin

We (me and hubby) needed to open a UK bank account but living in Aus, this seemed so hard. My brother had a great idea so I wanted to share this with you.

During my trip to the UK this year, me and my brother (who lives in UK) went to Santander (who he currently banks with).

We opened a joint account! Using his address but in both of our names. It was easy and simple, but obviously only a good idea to do this with a trusted family member or good friend!

Within a week I had a debit card and I've now registered for online banking.

I deposited 50 pounds and the account is active.

My brother remains a "silent" bank partner, the account is effectively mine! he will let me know about any correspondence etc.

When we get back to the UK (whenever that may be....) my husband will take over the account from my brother and we have our UK account!

It's good to have this in place for the time when we would need to transfer any funds.

Wanted to share this great idea with you all!

But remember, you have to be really sure who you do this with, because that other person would have full access to the funds as well :)

That is a great idea, unfortunately I didn't think of it when I was last there in 2011. Next time I go back, it'll be for good, so I have to figure out another plan.

Why don't you give me your bank account details Simmo, presume you have online banking, so can you give me your login details (for monitoring purposes only of course) and I'll arrange a transfer.

I looked at something similar and without making judgment (you can always claim the Peter Mandelson precedent :biggrin:) I believe you are still making a false declaration because you are not living in the UK or at the address at the time of the declaration. My reasoning is that if you made the same declaration, you could still use the same details and open the same account online from Oz and never go near the bank.

One possibility I'm looking at is to open up an offshore account in GBP. These accounts are generally based somewhere in the Channel Islands and similar to the UK, have deposit guarantee schemes up to a reasonable amount. I do assume that any account with your name on it doesn't negate the need to declare it to the ATO.

We opened a UK bank account while in Australia. It was the NAB migrant banking who own Clydesdale and Yorkshire banks here in UK. Easy to do and now in the UK didn't take long to get our bank cards.

When did you do that? I spoke last week to the RBS and while I have had an account with them for 20+ years, the interest currently is 0.1%. I've a sizeable sum and I wanted to move it into one paying slightly more which although not exactly a fortune, 1.5% or thereabouts is better than the 0.1%. Simply put, they refused...got nowhere and not holding out hope of having a senior manager calling me back as was promised. They said I was not permitted to open a new account; something to do with different codes but it made no sense as I already have the open account I regularly use.

Guest sidster

Just dont close your account before leaving UK ! Lot easier to change address to a helpful relative or even your Australian address as we have with Natwest And lloyds .

I looked at something similar and without making judgment (you can always claim the Peter Mandelson precedent :biggrin:) I believe you are still making a false declaration because you are not living in the UK or at the address at the time of the declaration. My reasoning is that if you made the same declaration, you could still use the same details and open the same account online from Oz and never go near the bank.

One possibility I'm looking at is to open up an offshore account in GBP. These accounts are generally based somewhere in the Channel Islands and similar to the UK, have deposit guarantee schemes up to a reasonable amount. I do assume that any account with your name on it doesn't negate the need to declare it to the ATO.

I have made no false declarations to the bank. They know I live in Australia. My brother is an existing customer, therefore everything was under his address. It is all above board.

i was just trying to share what I think is a good idea.

I have made no false declarations to the bank. They know I live in Australia. My brother is an existing customer, therefore everything was under his address. It is all above board.

Oh really.. Section 2 of the Santander General Terms & Conditions for having a Current account

To qualify for an account

Summary: there are a number of requirements you must meet before you can

open an account.

You must permanently reside in the UK (excluding the Channel Islands and the Isle

of Man). If you are a Crown employee serving overseas or are married to or in a civil

partnership with a person who performs such duties, you must retain a permanent

residential address in the UK for the account to remain open. You must not use the

account for business purposes.

Just sayin...

When did you do that? I spoke last week to the RBS and while I have had an account with them for 20+ years, the interest currently is 0.1%. I've a sizeable sum and I wanted to move it into one paying slightly more which although not exactly a fortune, 1.5% or thereabouts is better than the 0.1%. Simply put, they refused...got nowhere and not holding out hope of having a senior manager calling me back as was promised. They said I was not permitted to open a new account; something to do with different codes but it made no sense as I already have the open account I regularly use.

link for opening a UK account is here: http://www.cbonline.co.uk/private/offshore-migrant-banking/migrant-banking-private/apply-for-a-uk-bank-account/

Oh really.. Section 2 of the Santander General Terms & Conditions for having a Current account

Just sayin...

Clearly you have plenty of time on your hands to do the research. I am just sharing what I know to others on here.

I had forgotten why I don't post on these forums....you have just reminded me ......

We (me and hubby) needed to open a UK bank account but living in Aus, this seemed so hard. My brother had a great idea so I wanted to share this with you.

During my trip to the UK this year, me and my brother (who lives in UK) went to Santander (who he currently banks with).

We opened a joint account! Using his address but in both of our names. It was easy and simple, but obviously only a good idea to do this with a trusted family member or good friend!

Within a week I had a debit card and I've now registered for online banking.

I deposited 50 pounds and the account is active.

My brother remains a "silent" bank partner, the account is effectively mine! he will let me know about any correspondence etc.

When we get back to the UK (whenever that may be....) my husband will take over the account from my brother and we have our UK account!

It's good to have this in place for the time when we would need to transfer any funds.

Wanted to share this great idea with you all!

But remember, you have to be really sure who you do this with, because that other person would have full access to the funds as well :)

A very very risky idea if you have a large amount of money to transfer.It's much easier to open your own joint bank account from Australia by phoneing Barclays International.They will fill your application form in with you over the phone,and send it to you in Australia for signing. Waiting for mine to arrive.You can then open a account in your home town when you arrive.Then transfer your money to whatever account that suits your needs.

Just sayin...

I bank with Santander and I called them a few days ago about changing my address, they are only to happy to change it to an Australian one, so I don't think that rule is enforced all the time. They told me they have no issue with me having an Australian address.

I bank with Santander and I called them a few days ago about changing my address, they are only to happy to change it to an Australian one, so I don't think that rule is enforced all the time. They told me they have no issue with me having an Australian address.

Not to change the address of an existing account. You try and open a new account with an Australian residential address and I think you'd get a different answer.

It says "to open an account" yours is already open :wubclub:

I understand completely where you are coming from and share the frustration but the acid test is: do you think if you had presented your Australian address along with your brothers UK address you would have got the account opened? You don't think so otherwise you would have used the Australian address. You did what you did and I'm not knocking you but the way you did it I don't think you really needed to go into the bank. Personally I find it a bizarre and unfair rule where there are circumstances that a person can have existing accounts registered to overseas addresses and simultaneously be subject to UK tax returns yet not be allowed to open a new account.

Personally I find it a bizarre and unfair rule where there are circumstances that a person can have existing accounts registered to overseas addresses and simultaneously be subject to UK tax returns yet not be allowed to open a new account.

Starting to wonder if you have your fingers in your ears going la-la-la not listening. Try clicking this link: http://www.cbonline.co.uk/private/of...-bank-account/

It says "to open an account" yours is already open :wubclub:

No.

It says you must 'retain a permanent residential address in the UK for the account to remain open.'

I am not going to have a permanent address in the UK and they are happy for it to remain open.

The point I am making is that sometime banks have terms such as this in their T&Cs that are not enforced. Trust me on this, I do it for a living.

Starting to wonder if you have your fingers in your ears going la-la-la not listening. Try clicking this link: http://www.cbonline.co.uk/private/of...-bank-account/

haha....and perhaps it would have been better for you to have read what I wrote on page 1 instead of a smart ass reply. I've got existing accounts but considering my circumstances, need/want an account paying more than 0.1%. You might also liked to have read this part from the link you supplied:

Once you have your account number you can transfer money straight into your account. Please note that you will not be able to access any funds deposited in the account until you have arrived in the UK and completed the identification formalities as required by UK anti money laundering regulations. We will be unable to accept cheques or cash for credit to your account until the identification formalities have been completed and until this time funds should be forwarded by Telegraphic Transfer.

Effectively you have a frozen bank account....not really any good is it?

Edited by le petit roi

Just have to be very careful with this because of the anti money laundering laws not only in UK but for Aus too, if you have large amounts of money and you are transferring out the country frequently you are effectively avoiding paying tax on the interest, very risky!