WHV

Peter Randolph

Hey guys

Anyone who has been to Australia before on a WHV. Would you recommend it in the hope to find work or a Tourist Visa? Im heading that way in Oct but i'm abit confused with a depressing comment on this forum nd alot feedback about the WHV. is it just travel companies trying to rib you off on something that doesn't exist anymore. Cuz ive spent a fortune on this trip with them making it sound so easy rubbing these brochures in my face.

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Pete

I'm not sure what kind of advice you're looking for but you can't look for work on a Tourist Visa and with a WHV, you can only work for six months, the other six months is meant to be holiday. However, you can apply for a second year on the WHV. I think it would depend on your ultimate aims and goals. What are you hoping to achieve in the long term?

I've done it and didnt struggle finding work at all but that was 10 years ago.

I know a lot of people who have been over there on WHV's for the past 18 months and they are doing well...finding work, travelling around, even taking holidays in asia with some of the money they have saved.

Its perfectly possible still. You just need the right attitude - and a bit of money spare for those times when work isn't so easy to come by so that you can either up sticks and move to where the work is, or sit it out until something turns up.

If you're coming with the intention of taking a year out, seeing some of the country, meeting new and different people, staying in various hostels around Australia, then you'll more than likely not be disappointed. Generally, people on WHV's do bar work or waiting in cafes etc. You could travel about and prob get seasonal fruit picking etc.

If, however, you are looking to come over, get a great and well paid job, one that might provide a career, or permanent settlement, you are likely to be very disappointed.

The reasoning behind your proposed trip will largely depend on how you feel about your chances of enjoying it, and it being worth it overall.

I'm not sure what kind of advice you're looking for but you can't look for work on a Tourist Visa and with a WHV, you can only work for six months, the other six months is meant to be holiday. However, you can apply for a second year on the WHV. I think it would depend on your ultimate aims and goals. What are you hoping to achieve in the long term?
This is not correct- you can only work for 6 months for 1 employer. You could work the whole year if you want. If you complete the specific regional work you can work for 6 months for the same employer on your 2nd WHV as you did on your first.

From what I've heard off a few people I know who are there now, it seems really easy to find work. I think it just depends on what you are willing to do.

They have done door to door sales, worked for a carnival, office work, all sorts.

Seeing as a WHV is only a couple of hundred dollars you might as well get one. It far from guarantee's that you'll be able to find work but what is certain is that you will not be able to work without it.

The only thing to consider is that since you can only get it once, is there a possibility that you might want to use it in the future instead?

This is not correct- you can only work for 6 months for 1 employer. You could work the whole year if you want. If you complete the specific regional work you can work for 6 months for the same employer on your 2nd WHV as you did on your first.

Thanks for setting that straight, as I wouldn't want to give anyone the wrong info knowingly xx

Archived