I just want to go home NOW!!!

Guest Guest55385

Guest Guest55385

I've hated Perth since we got here for a whole load of reasons. We put off going back home for a visit so we could settle, but we never have done. We got back from our visit 4 weeks ago, having made the decision whilst in the UK that we would be returning. The problem is, my hubby has a job to start in Jan 14 so we have to stick it out here in Perth for the next 5 months :(

I'm so unhappy. Every day is groundhog day and I just want to go back. I would catch a flight tonight and leave all our possessions here. They seem worthless in comparison to my sanity.

My middle child who attended a school here in Perth - but homeschooled now - is over a year behind his British counterparts and I feel totally overwhelmed in trying to teach him to read etc. I'm so worried that I'll fail and when we go back he'll just be seen as the dunce of the class :(

My eldest managed a term of Aussie school and has been homeschooled now for 14 months, I have no real concerns because she has managed to keep up with the English curriculum. My youngest is streaks ahead of her Aussie counterparts and will have no problem adapting I don't think.

The waiting is unbearable. Anybody else feel similar?

I think now you have made the choice to return you should relax and take time to enjoy the remainder of your time in Perth. I believe its important to make peace with Australia before you leave. Don't worry to much about the kids schooling, the system here is well equipped for getting kids upto speed. My kids both have had foreign speaking kids join there classes and within months they have them upto speed with the help of teaching assistants.

I know 5 months sounds like forever but it's only 20 weeks, less than 150 days. You can do it! It could be a lot worse, could be 5 or 50 years :elvis:

Anyway, now you have the escape route, you could start on the WA bucket list - all those things you probably should do in WA before you shake the dust from your feet. Start decluttering - eBay, Gumtree, garage sale, Freecycle etc.make a list of what you will need to do to facilitate your move when the time comes then get a calendar and a big red pen and cross off the days! The time will fly, honest! Then when you get down to 3 or 4 weeks you'll be chasing around trying to get everything done!

Alternatively, you could head off with the kids to get the new place set up and leave your DH to clear up in Aus!!!

goid luck with the move forwards!

Try to enjoy the rest of your time in Oz. maybe even a holiday to NZ or somewhere where you're unlikely to get to once back in UK. I am returning to Oz in Sept after a 5 month break in UK. If it was my choice I wouldn't be going back. But have promised hubby & kids I'll see it out to Dec 2014 at least when youngest finishes school. My sentence is almost a year more than yours! And many people with feelings similar to yourself can never afford to come home. 5 months is no time really. Good luck!

I feel so much, for the ones who cant afford to go home and the ones that get stuck here forever, for one reason or another,

I know how you are feeling Chocolate Orange,,we dont know how long it will take to sell, but once we do, we are on the first plane out of here

It drives me nuts though, but I just have to try and keep occupied, until I can leave.But it is really hard and I know what you mean about everyday being Groundhog day.

I get up everyday with hope that maybe this will be the day something positive happens and we sell, and every evening I go to bed feeling like absolute c**p because nothing good has happened

Just try to keep busy,,,easier said than done, but it will all be worth it in the end x

I know a guy here a manager in his job who would dearly love to go home but cannot leave his kids and grandkids. such a shame and waste of a life, he looks 20yrs older than he is, a life of purgatory for him it must be..

Sapphire as others have said, get some time to visit places and tick them off as you will not be coming back, take the photos, even the cdb at night and when in a few short months you are settled back home you can look at the pics in a different light and smile at your adventure, kids will adapt to any environment

Guest The Pom Queen

:hug: like others have said you only have 20 weeks left, and you are going to be very busy organising your move back and Christmas around the corner. Why not use this time as a holiday, travel around Oz and see some sights, it may help you pass the time.

Guest Guest55385

Cheers for all the responses guys; I know only 20 weeks and I'm trying really hard to see it like that. 4 down 24 ish to go....

I think the problem is we can't afford to do anything. The moment we set foot outside the front door we incur costs- that we can't afford. We haven't had a proper holiday since we got to WA (nearly 2 yrs ago) as our living costs have been so extortionate. I'd love to take the kids up north but even the camping fees are ridiculous.

We will be selling pretty much everything to avoid shipping fees and luckily we're still on a 457 visa so we will be repatriated :))

Cheers for all the responses guys; I know only 20 weeks and I'm trying really hard to see it like that. 4 down 24 ish to go....

I think the problem is we can't afford to do anything. The moment we set foot outside the front door we incur costs- that we can't afford. We haven't had a proper holiday since we got to WA (nearly 2 yrs ago) as our living costs have been so extortionate. I'd love to take the kids up north but even the camping fees are ridiculous.

We will be selling pretty much everything to avoid shipping fees and luckily we're still on a 457 visa so we will be repatriated :))

Evenings are lighter now and temps are warmer but more comfortable, keep posting on here say every friday keep us updated. The time will fly by and before you know it you will have a posting headed ' I cant believe we are heading home this week'.

I know a guy here a manager in his job who would dearly love to go home but cannot leave his kids and grandkids. such a shame and waste of a life, he looks 20yrs older than he is, a life of purgatory for him it must be..

I can relate! I just had coffee with another PiO member today and showed her the "me in Aus" pic and I think she was a tad gobsmacked! I most definitely was old before my time because I saw myself shackled! It really is very hard when you feel trapped - no one loves a jail even though, if course you do the very bet you can!

OP, hang in there - I quite see that your bucket list has to be minimal but maybe some early judicious ebay-ing might give you a bit of pocket money for the odd special event! Now nearly 23 then huh!!!

Hang in there Chocolate Orange, it really will fly. Great advice to use the time to get selling and sorting! Another thing that we did was take a lot of photos and videos of our neighbourhood and local parks and the beach etc. our daughter was born in Australia and is technically Aussie so we really wanted to be able to have some footage and pics of where she lived etc. its something you could do with the children, and then do a scrap book or something to bring back with you. A piece of family history and memories to bring back with you! Good luck with it all. The time does fly, we decided in March we would return and 5 months later we are back, it can be done x

Guest Guest55385

Gosh, re-reading this I do feel a bit of a spoilt brat lol.

Thank you for all the inspirational messages. MrsLZB - great idea. I had already thought of photographing the houses we had lived in - as the younger kids do get confused about which country they're in and where they were etc. That will give me something to do!!

One of the counties we're thinking of returning to are being a bit difficult, so there's a chance me and the kids might be leaving in 6 weeks. EEK!!! I'm hoping that we can reach an amicable solution about tests and entrance etc.

Guest Guest55385

Well, more news :)) We're going in 7 weeks. Just decided that we can't keep hanging around and we desperately need to get the kids into school this side of Christmas. We'll be leaving the first week of October. Loads to get done but I'm very happy. Thanks for all the support guys :))

Well, more news :)) We're going in 7 weeks. Just decided that we can't keep hanging around and we desperately need to get the kids into school this side of Christmas. We'll be leaving the first week of October. Loads to get done but I'm very happy. Thanks for all the support guys :))

Dont Forget the headline post the day before 'Finally going home'

Archived