Where best to settle in Melbourne???

The timpsons

Hi there,

We have recently submitted our application to Victoria for state sponsorship to obtain a 190 visa. We ideally do not want to be too far away from CBD as I will more than likely need to travel here for work. Ben however is a Plumbing and Heating Engineer, so location is not so much of an issue for his work arrangements.

We like the look of Beaumaris, Mentone, Parkdale etc but can only do so much research and real opinions would be really appreciated.

As we have two daughters aged 11 and 9 we are hoping to live close to good schools and reasonably close to the beach. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Haley & Ben Timpson:smile:

Hi there thanks for your reply.

I have been having a look at rental prices and yes Beaumaris does look quite pricey! As we have two daughters we are looking to somewhere with a nice feel to it if that makes sense and I particularly like the look of Mentone its just difficult when you need to find good schools and you are clueless to the areas.

Hopefully it shouldn't be too much longer now until we get a response from the state and we can really get cracking then, the waiting is so frustrating.

Thanks

Haley & Ben:smile:

Mentone is lovely, we've been here for around 20 months now and are really enjoying it. We can walk to the beach and my husband gets the train to work each day. The shopping area has pretty much all you need, along with some lovely cafes. As far as schools go, there are plenty in the area but my children are 2 and 6 months so I'm probably not the best to advise! Would you be looking at private or state schools? Mentone Grammar has a great reputation, and I regularly walk past girls from Mentone Secondary who are pretty well turned out and polite (I was a secondary teacher in the UK so notice these things!)

Beaumaris is lovely, but you'd need to get to Mentone/Cheltenham to catch the train in so that's worth considering if you want an easy commute.

If you are interested in those areas I agree with the previous poster you really need to stay close to the Frankston train line for ease of commute or travel. Otherwise you would need to have a car or take a bus to the train station which makes for much longer time traveling. Beach side of the Nepean Highway is the nicest as its close to the train line and close to the beach. The further south you go i e Mordialloc, Aspendale, Edithvale, Chelsea the closer you will be to the beach and the train line. I lived in Edithvale for 11 years and liked it and we only moved because we worked in the area and it was not giong to be a long commute from the Mornington Peninsula where we now live. There are stations on the line where the express trains stop and Mordialloc Cheltenham Moorabbin and Caulfield are the ones to be near if heading to the city. Below Mordialloc the trains stop all stations so its not a problem, just getting on the trains can be a problem as they fill up and seats are gone by the time they get to Seaford and Carrum from Frankston.

The express train also stops at Mentone - have a look at this website to give you an idea of travel times http://www.metrotrains.com.au/lines/frankston

The further down the line the cheaper the rent will be - in my honest opinion I wouldn't really like to live further south of Mordialloc, as the areas feel a bit out of the way to me. I'm sure plenty of people who live that way will say otherwise, but that's just my opinion.

Mentone is handy as you are close to Southland (big Westfield shopping centre) and there are a couple of leisure centres nearby http://web.kingston.vic.gov.au/Page/Page.asp?Page_Id=403&h=1.

We have recently submitted our application to Victoria for state sponsorship

might have a problem with the commute

At least you've not lost your sense of humour. :cool:

Hope you enjoy Melbourne. I liked St Kilda but it gets busy on a nice day but is close to the beach, is pretty lively and has a lot of restaurants and pubs within easy walking distance. Good public transport links too.

I liked St Kilda but it gets busy on a nice day but is close to the beach, is pretty lively and has a lot of restaurants and pubs within easy walking distance. Good public transport links too.

Bit of a grungy area for a family with two young girls I reckon, unless you want to bring up your kids "streetwise". The areas mentioned are much better for families.

BB

Thank you for all your responses, there are some things we will need to consider before we make our final decision and the information has been very helpful, things seem a long way off just yet but hopefully the SS confirmation will be finally arrive and we can get things moving.

:biggrin: Haley & Ben

Archived