Are CPC & AAT Qualifications transferable?

Burmans

Hi All,

Posted this on PerthPoms last night and realised I should have put it on PIO for a wider audience - hope someone can help. Thanks WB

Anyway, my question is, does anyone know if my qualifications count for anything in Oz? I have a CPC National in Road Haulage Operations (Certificate of Professional Competance), which is what you need to be a Transport Manager on a UK Haulage Operators Licence and I also have the Association of Accounting Technicians qualification which gives me MAAT after my name, but which is basically halfway to being a 'proper' accountant.

I need to know if these quals are recognised at all in Oz and/or if I have to do anything to 'convert' them or are they just no good at all. Other than these two certificates and a bunch of decent grade GCE/CSEs from school (almost 30 years ago), I am qualified by experience really and I have nearly 30 years of that and worked my way up etc.

I was born in Brisbane so don't need a visa or anything (except for the missus), so its not a question about qualifying for that, its more about how employers look at UK qualifications.

I am a director at a medium sized logistics firm with a heavy bias into general business and financial management (the FM reports to me). Its a job that I really enjoy and I would love to get a similar job in Oz, but its taken me a while to work my way into this job and I am worried that I might not find anything suitable in WA and might end up driving a van or something. There's no shame in that of course and I have done plenty of that too, its just that that wouldn't do it for me money-wise due to the house prices in WA.

Anyone in finance or logistics that can shine any light on any of this?

Thanks folks

Wayne

:smile:

• 2 weeks later...

I asked my husband who is ACCA qualified and also did his AAT some years ago. He didnt think AAT was recognised as not professional body as such like ACCA/CIMA/Chartered. You could always speak to an agent to check and would recommend speaking to Go Matilda see if they can suggest anything further. Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - Visa, Tax and Financial Planning for Australia we are using them as our agents.

Thanks for the reply. I have since managed to find out that there is an AAT in Australia and they will let me apply for membership as I have the UK one. I think I may also be able to get NIA recognition by taking three more papers but I am unsure how high the NIA is recognised. I get the impression it is a poor relation to the 2 main Aussie qualifications.

All the best,

Wayne

If you have AAT quals and can find an employer in regional Australia who is looking for an accountant one pathway may be via a regional 457 visa (long term temporary residency visa), or the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (permanent residency visa).

As it happens I am looking for an accountant presently to work with us in Geelong ... feel able to send me your CV if you are interested (alan - at - gomatilda - dot - com).

Best regards.

• 1 month later...
Guest Mike Robbo

I am a Transport Planning Manager with over 10 years experience and am needing to find out more about working in a similar role anywhere in Oz. I have passed the initial assesment but don't want to take it further at the moment without any research into the job prospects over there.

Guest Pete.R

Hi

Although we have already been granted our visa's through my husband as a skilled independant visa, I have a CPC in Road Transport which I passed some 20 years ago whilst in the transport industry, it would be very interesting to see if this certificate is valid in Oz

Wendy

Alan - Sorry only just seen your reply for some reason... I don't need a visa I have an Aussie passport (in my original post), also, thanks for the offer to submit CV, but we are headed for WA, so Geelong is no good for me. Thanks anyway.

Mike / Wendy - I have found no more info on CPC in Aus. Although my experience has mostly been in transport companies, my career path has taken me away from the transport side of things within those companies and more into the financial/commercial management area, so I guess I am less worried about the CPC and more about the finance side of things.

As the AAT is not a very high qualification in finance (more a junior qualification or a stepping stone for trainees), I am going to be concentrating on promoting my finance/business management experience to start with and see where that gets me. Wish me luck!

Cheers all,

Wayne

Archived