UK Child Benefit - Living in Australia on 457 Via - Entitled to any benefits?

naibsel

Hi Guys,

I am hoping someone can either help me out or at least point me in the right direction.

I have been living in Australia for 5 years and am on a defacto 457 visa (My partner is English too). I have a 17 month old who was born here and another baby due any day. Financially things are tight as we're kind of in limbo and aren't entitled to anything here in Aus like the baby bonus or child care rebates as we aren't permanent. My friend today suggested that we should be entitled to child benefit from the UK as we are citizens there. Does anyone know if this is true and how we go about it?

Thank you so much in advance

Not entitled that I know of. Need to be resident in the UK to claim. Once you move overseas you have to stop claiming it.

Thank you guys, I've since found this link and you're right, I'm not entitled to anything. Oh well ;)http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefit/start/who-qualifies/live-work-abroad.htm#4

I didn't have a baby to get benefits so it's no biggy, I was just wondering.

Do you have any options to apply for a PR visa as this will obviously give you more options if you are on a lowish income.

Archived