English Section in the supermarkets

Geraldine

:laugh:.....your right dmjg, what was I thinking off............have the same problem as we type , im trying to watch Aussie All Stars v man utd but too early for twins to go to bed , gutted its on Aussie tv I cant tape it and have to sit n watch early plus I don't start drinking till 7pm have to wait 10 mins .........:chatterbox:

Its nine here, started hours ago!

Plus, drinks can start once the sun is over the yardarm.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hell yeah! Bisto gravy, marmite (of course) and just recently Coleman's mint sauce, it's soo nice. Bisto is my most frequent purchase though :) I was giddy with excitement to see they had chicken & mushroom Pot Noodles a while ago - I was a big pot noodle fan when I was younger - but I just couldn't bring myself to spend nearly $4 on one, lol.

Pot Noodles don't taste the same as they used to wherever you eat them. I've had one here and had one when back in the UK. They've obviously had to cut out some chemicals or reduce salt or something and they're totally bland in comparison now.

Shame, I owe everything I am today (obese, low concentration span, infertile) to Pot Noodles.

Yesterday I bought a Wispa from the IGA, and a can of Dr Pepper. From Coles I often get Dr Pepper, mint sauce, occasionally mushy peas for me and Marmite for OH. Last year I picked up about 10 boxes of stuffing for 80c each, bargain, that stuff never goes off! Still got 8 packs left...

The IGA selection is very good, includes Revels, Fry's Peppermint and Orange Creams, quite a few different sauces and wotnot. We also like Junior Mints from the American section and pear Appletizer from the South African section. The Wispas are in the Irish section. Very multicultural here you see!! Don't get anything from the Kiwi section but it's very popular, half the population here is kiwi.

I would like to find Strawberry Ribena but no luck so far...

Fourcorners - which side of the country are you on? Our locals IGAs (and I frequent several) don't seem to have half the range that your one does (which makes me suspect you may be over on the East Coast?)

In Kalgoorlie! 6 hours drive from Perth if you've got a spare 3 day weekend. If you haven't been here yet, it's actually not a bad destination for 3 days. Got lots of history, lots of old sites to visit, Superpit lookout, a very good museum. The IGA in questions is a SupaIGA, but I think they stock more international foods here because half the population of Kalgoorlie is international. In particular all the South Africans live in the suburb closest to this particular IGA, they were all elated when Nando's opened a year or so ago!

The IGA also stocks 'Irish Bacon' and black pudding. The bacon is much more like UK bacon, has the raw texture rather than the pre-cooked Australian bacon. Very tasty and can be used to wrap stuff properly whereas Aussie bacon just 'springs' off again.

Hey boganbear, if your in/near Brisbane there is a shop near the Logan hyperdome called Syds pies which have loads of English products including black pudding, bacon, sausage haggis etc. - it's a little bit pricey but great for a treat!

The only thing that I miss (right now) is cold original Lucozade from a fridge. Our local Coles stock it, but it is on the shelf, and it doesn't taste the same.

Buy it and stick it in the freezer for 30 minutes or leave it in the fridge overnight (and turn the temperature down). Lucozade is on offer in Woolies at the moment (both the original and the orange flavour one - think that may be a trade descriptions act one but that is by the by!).

Archived