Which suburb of Brisbane??

Seanlyndsey

Hi there, I'm hoping some of you can give us some advice. Me, my husband & 2 children are emigrating to Australia next April & after a lot of time have decided to go to Brisbane. We have heard the northern suburbs are really nice but without coming over and looking around are finding it really hard to decide which would be best for us. I am a nurse so a hospital within a 20-30 drive is essential. My husband is a car mechanic. My children are 1 & 4, so good schooling for them is my priority. I love shopping and an area with a lot of young families would be good. All info much appreciated.Share

Try to find a job first and then go and live near to where you work. Nursing jobs in Brisbane are a bit thin on the ground.....Metro North are currently asking for nurses to volunteer for redundancy....there have already been many redundancies all over Brisbane

Wow so much for needing nurses!!! Thanks.

Aged care has an insatiable demand. But quite often the money won't be the best, and you may be put on casual contracts.

I don't know how far down the process you are, but you might have noticed that immigration is an industry. So there are lots of sources that promote immigration that basically have a vested interest. For this reason you have to do your own independent research. But you've started early, which is good.

Back to your question, I would recommend living fairly close to where you might be working. Unlike the UK, Australia doesn't really have sink estates to avoid. In any suburb, or any street, you'll find a mix of nice and not so nice houses. So, the good bit of a bad suburb can be nicer than the bad bit of a good suburb.

With schools, I don't know why people get so hung up on finding a "good school". Most of the schools are pretty good.

Since you've got a fair while to go, I would start thinking about:

a) How far out would you want to live. Outer suburbs are cheaper.

b) How far inland do you want to live. More inland is also cheaper, generally.

Then you can use realestate.com.au to check out what kind of house you get for your money.

Don't forget that you're not obliged to stay in the same place forever.

But, as has already been posted, spend as much time looking for a job as looking for a house. With a job in mind, everything else will fall into place. Without a job, everything else will fall apart.

Best of luck.

Start with a job, then draw a radius around that which takes into account your maxiumum travel commute time... what ever suburbs fall into the circle, look at more closely. No good living North if you work South and have to cross the bridge everyday... things like that add considerable time and stress to a journey and inevitably eat into your own time.

I agree with Flathead & Tickled Pink. Try to find a job first & let work dictate where you live. Your prob best trying to find work in the private sector if you can. I am one of the unlucky ones employed by Queensland health that may lose my job! I hope to god I don't, but times are very uncertain at the moment & it's been going on for over a year. We already lost 4 from our department & have been told to axe more jobs!! We stopped recruiting & hiring agency staff to cover shortages about 6-8months ago....sounding all to familiar like the NHS!

We did tons of research before we came and had visited before so had a rough idea of where we wanted to be. Then when we arrived we have ended up no where we had even looked at, so i wasted all that time doing all that internet research.

Im a midwife and jobs are very thin on the ground in Brisbane, many more in NSW and Perth (when i'm doing job seaarches any way) so you might want to see where the work is and head there.

Good luck Tina

Hi SeanLyndsey, My OH and I lived in Brisbane for 2 1/2 years (moved back in 2011). We were living in Bulimba. Trust me, definitely the best place we lived in Brisbane. It's a little expensive if you stay right in the heart but there are a few suburbs close by like Hawthorn or Balmoral which are still quite nice.

Bulimba has a high street with bars, cafe's, restraunts, supermarket, bottle shops, parks, schools, cinema, church, everything you can possibly want with a lovely atmosphere, and it's on the river! You will need to visit it to appreciate it. Hospitals are only a city cat trip away, (river boat/catamaran-great way to travel to and from work) closer to the city. There is a small car mechanics on Love Street (just off of the Bulimba high street) that may be worth trying. The guy who owns it is very approachable and even helped me start my car one morning free of charge! (I did offer to pay). There are also plenty of car mechanic or tyre places not to far away.

We regularly reminisce about how lovely it was and should we go back!

Should you have any questions, feel free to message me.

Thankyou very much LJL, we have heard that Bulimba is really nice and will definetly look at places to rent there. Lyndsey.

Largely if you work near the CBD, north or south doesn't really matter, however you want avoid commuting across the CBD to get to the other side is generally a nightmare (done it).

As for best suburbs, depends what you want, apartments or don't mind old housing then inner city suburbs, if you prefer new larger modern houses then go to the housing estate suburbs. Being further out doesn't necessary always mean a longer commute, can be situational. Really you need to detail what you are after so people can recommend based on your criteria, most people will recommend the suburb they live in, they like it that's why they live there (presumably).

I think any of the Inner Suburbs are pretty nice.

Northside:

New farm

Newstead

Teneriffe

Clayfield

Ascot

Wooloowin

Wilston

Newmarket

Southside:

Bulimba

Hawthorne

Coorpooroo

Morningside

Norman Park

Greenslopes

Holland Park

West:

Paddington

Ashgrove

Bardon

Chapel Hill

St Lucia

Indooroophilly

I could live in any of these. Just pick accordingly for your work. Lots i've probably missed too

Northside:

New farm

Newstead

Teneriffe

Clayfield

Ascot

Wooloowin

Wilston

Newmarket

Southside:

Bulimba

Hawthorne

Coorpooroo

Morningside

Norman Park

Greenslopes

Holland Park

West:

Paddington

Ashgrove

Bardon

Chapel Hill

St Lucia

Indooroophilly

I could live in any of these. Just pick accordingly for your work. Lots i've probably missed too

Yea see personally I hate older QLD housing in which make up most of the areas you listed (I call them substandard overpriced shacks on stilts) with the exception of the rare TRUE Queenslander not those wooden boxes pretending to be Queenslanders. Also hate those chain link fences you see everywhere in the inner suburbs, some people love the inner suburbs but I am not one of them, which is kinda my point about what each individual wants.

I would be more like

North Lakes (North)

Mango Hill (North)

Forest lakes (South)

Springfield/Springfield lakes (new private Hospital being built now). (South)

Middle Park (South)

Augustine heights

Plenty of others with modern housing but a few to steer clear of imo like Redbank planes.

Yea see personally I hate older QLD housing in which make up most of the areas you listed (I call them substandard overpriced shacks on stilts) with the exception of the rare TRUE Queenslander not those wooden boxes pretending to be Queenslanders. Also hate those chain link fences you see everywhere in the inner suburbs, some people love the inner suburbs but I am not one of them, which is kinda my point about what each individual wants.

I would be more like

North Lakes (North)

Mango Hill (North)

Forest lakes (South)

Springfield/Springfield lakes (new private Hospital being built now). (South)

Middle Park (South)

Augustine heights

Plenty of others with modern housing but a few to steer clear of imo like Redbank planes.

I live in a Unit so don't have to deal with the bad pretend Queenslanders. I don't know the outer suburbs very well so can't really comment. People from my work who live in North Lakes seem to really like it though.

I live in a Unit so don't have to deal with the bad pretend Queenslanders. I don't know the outer suburbs very well so can't really comment. People from my work who live in North Lakes seem to really like it though.

Fair enough, probably age comes into it a bit as well, Inner city is great if you are in say your 20's and renting a apartment simply more closer to do, but a 20 year old is likely to die of boredom in some of the housing estates.

I lived in the Western Suburbs of Brisbane for 20 years and just loved it, had a big old Queenslander and picket fence, loved the big old trees, top schools, coffee shops, shopping centres and would go insane in a brick box 2 inches from your next door neighbour so yes you really have to work out what you like and Real estate.com.au is great for that as you can look at the different types of houses. Wesley Hospital is great and 10 minuets from the city centre on the western side of town. Try http://www.whereis.com/ it allows you to key in any suburb and brings up a map of the surrounding area, then click directions and key in a different suburb and it will tell you directions and time to the other suburb so helps you to work out time to work or schools and the like. As others have said avoid having to cross through the city at peak hour especially the Story bridge, and Coronation drive again on the western side is also pretty bad in peak hour, mind you there are great train services from the west into Brisbane. A very different lifestyle but if you cant find work in Brisbane give some country cities a thought like Toowoomba, wonderful big country town just 2 hours from Brisbane, use to be the place all the farmers sent there kids to boarding schools so wonderful schools and good hospitals, just a thought. still some work around up there.

Northside:

New farm

Newstead

Teneriffe

Clayfield

Ascot

Wooloowin

Wilston

Newmarket

Southside:

Bulimba

Hawthorne

Coorpooroo

Morningside

Norman Park

Greenslopes

Holland Park

West:

Paddington

Ashgrove

Bardon

Chapel Hill

St Lucia

Indooroophilly

I agree, my list would be similar. As well as many of them having lots of beautiful character queenslander homes :), they also have more history, lovely old churches on your street corner, little shops along the next street, lovely old parks with history, "old" gardens and houses with generations of families lives played out, huge old lovely trees, on average better schools, universities dotted around, cemeteries, sports stadiums, nicer shops, more street life, people out walking/eating at night, less driving, better public transport, within commuter cycling distance, more events, better access to facilities, feel connected to city life and the river...the distant suburbs just don't feel like Brisbane to me but I'm from Brisbane and places now classed as Brisbane didn't exist when I was a child, or if they did we only went on day trips to them but now they're all called Brisbane even though they are quite often mostly disconnected from it. Obviously not for me but many of these newer places tick a lot of the boxes for others with different priorities to me, and they offer more affordable housing as well, so one size does not fit all.

I agree with Battleneter. People have such different priorities...things that are important for some are pointless to others so hard to recommend objectively as things I love others may not understand at all.

Archived