Blood pressure and medical

Chall77

I had my medical last week and the doctor won't sign me off because they said my blood pressure was too high even though it was actually withing range of acceptability. I put this down to the stress of the day as I am really quite active. I ride mountain bikes and road bikes a lot and just ran my first half marathon in 1hr 51 minutes.

I've been referred to my GP by the clinic and I do take my health very seriously so if there is a problem, I want to do something about it and am already doing all I can in regards diet but regardless of how active I am and what I need to do, has any one had a similar experience and can offer any advice? Can I appeal the verdict of the clinic?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chall.

You probably had a case of White coat syndrome. I had it once. It's the one and only time that my blood pressure has been high. When I say high, it was 140/80 so not that bad. I have my blood pressure taken in work from time to time and its never above 110. Even on a really busy day when I feel stressed to death. I worry that when I go for my medical it'll be high because I'm in an unfamiliar environment. If that happens I'm going to ask them to retake it a couple of times before I go home so that it reflects a true picture.

Debs

Mine was sky high at the visa medical :err: I usually have low blood pressure 103/60. I got so worked up to absolute wreck lol then couldn't calm down.... Still goes up now when I get checked as it reminds me of that medical! Stupid :huh:

Youll be fine once it gets signed off by your GP/nurse.

Good luck

I had high blood pressure in UK (can't imagine how high it must be here in Oz ha) google ways in which you can reduce your blood pressure, less stress, less salt etc etc. maybe go on meds for a time to bring them down. Ask your gp if you can take a blood pursue machine home..record your results..take to your gp to show them..maybe white coat syndrome?.that's what I did as they wanted to out me on meds..but taken needs for other stuff since I was 14 so did not want to.

Thanks for everyone's comments hear. I have been drinking beetroot juice by the gallon and living like a monk for the last couple of weeks but as I said, I am fit and healthy generally. I've just done a 60 mile ride for pity's sake! Anyway, doctors on Tuesday which should hopefully be OK. This is the last step in my application so I think I was allowed to feel a little stressed!

Thanks again and all the best to everyone.

Guest littlesarah

If your BP is usually normal, it really comes down to you trying to get round the physiological effects of stress that cause the increase in BP at your medical. I would say to try the obvious, so arrive at your appointment in good time, and try to tune out to whatever may be going on in the surgery around you, take deep, slow breaths (with a longer breath out than in), avoid caffeine, alcohol & exercise in the hour or 2 before your appointment, & no talking while your BP is being taken.

Yes sounds like White Coat Syndrome! I get this too. I went in to the Dr about something else I was concerned about and they took my BP which was very high. They started talking about medication etc etc. Anyway the GP surgery gave me a monitor to take home for a week and take my BP 3 or 4 times a day and it was completely normal.

Yes, it's just probably a case of trying to feel relaxed before going which is easier said than done.

Blood pressure was tested yesterday at 120/90 which should be fine given that I had once again managed to turn myself into a nervous wreck! The things we do!!! Thanks for all the messages. Just hope that is it now!

Archived