university

pearler

Hi i am a registered nurse who has permanent residency status in Australia. I am looking to do a psychology degree perhaps on open university and im wondering if anyone has any advice on the cheapest way to go about it. A friend told me today that i could do it through open university in the UK? What do you think? Could this be an option?

I am assuming you are in Australia?

If so, then the open university in UK will be quite expensive as you won't get the domestic rates, plus you would need to fly over for exams and things. I believe Australia lso has an OU, maybe that would make more sense.

When courses are studied online you certainly do not have to fly overseas for the exams, they are simply arranged in the country of your residence.

However, if you did the course here via one of the universities that offers it through the Open University, or even one that has no links to OU, but offers it online ( or internally) then it may work out cheaper as you will pay domestic rates as opposed to international.

When courses are studied online you certainly do not have to fly overseas for the exams, they are simply arranged in the country of your residence.

However, if you did the course here via one of the universities that offers it through the Open University, or even one that has no links to OU, but offers it online ( or internally) then it may work out cheaper as you will pay domestic rates as opposed to interantional.

When I did my first degree through the OU in the UK the only people that could get exams arranged overseas were people in the armed forces...

When I did my first degree through the OU in the UK the only people that could get exams arranged overseas were people in the armed forces...

Interesting, ok it must not apply to the UK?

Here in Oz there are people that study all around the world through many different Australian universities including OU. They can do all of their exams with a supervisor in their country of residence, whether that ay be the UK,US or Russia etc.

• 2 weeks later...

As has already been said, sure you could do it through OU UK but that might only work out to be cheaper initially.

As a Permanent Resident in Australia you don't get HECS, so you'd have to pay up-front at the start of each Semester. However, as a PR you would pay domestic fees so you've got that too. Possibly better to pay Aus domestic fees than pay through the nose and then some for UK int'l fees if they determine you to be a int'l student at the UK's OU.

Aus has its own OU. Some Universities also do fully online degrees (USQ) and many are introducing more external study modes and 'blended' (mix of online/on-campus).

In terms of paying the Aus rates, at the moment for Psychology, it's about $751 per subject/unit/course (terminology varies) so you'd be looking at ~$3000 twice a year, for a full-time undergrad Psychology degree (with marginal annual increase, and that excludes Student Services and Amenities Fee aka SSAF)

If you obtain citizenship while you're still in University studies you can defer on HECS from when you present your citizenship certificate to the University and complete a new form to change your fee paying status.

Hope that helps a little.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.. I'm 19 years old and I'm emigrating with my parents on PR visa to perth from The UK. I'm intending to go to Uni in perth. Will I be entitled to a student loan or any other financial help ??? Also do I pay domestic fees only?? Any help would be appreciated:)

Hi.. I'm 19 years old and I'm emigrating with my parents on PR visa to perth from The UK. I'm intending to go to Uni in perth. Will I be entitled to a student loan or any other financial help ??? Also do I pay domestic fees only?? Any help would be appreciated:)

You won't get any help other than you can pay domestic fees.

That is what I was told when I looked into it too. I was also told that they don't send materials overseas and I would have to arrange for them to be deliver to a UK address and then be sent on. Of course I could be misinformed by the person that happened to pick up the phone that day.

if you can wait until you get citizenship then you can get a student loan (HECS). if not make sure you are charged the lower "skilling up" rate. Any UK qualifications should not count in terms of fees if you do not have any Aussie qualifications. One of the only advantages of being an immigrant over being an Aussie!

if you can wait until you get citizenship then you can get a student loan (HECS). if not make sure you are charged the lower "skilling up" rate. Any UK qualifications should not count in terms of fees if you do not have any Aussie qualifications. One of the only advantages of being an immigrant over being an Aussie!

What's this "skilling up" rate you speak of, boganbear??

If you are an Aussie and gone through the education system you can only get the lower domestic rate if you are going for a higher qualification or skilling up.

if you are from abroad and have PR or citizenship the same applies but as you have no Aussie qualifications your first qual will be skilling up anyway, even if you have higher foreign qual such as a degree. If you have a cert 3 and go for a cert 4 you are still skilling up but if you have a cert 3 and go for another one you are not.

If you do not have PR or citizenship you will be charged international fees which are the highest so it is best to wait until you get PR or citizenship then get the lower domestic rates

There is no such thing as a 'skilling' up rate.

There are domestic fee paying courses for PR holders and citizens. Then there are international rates for non PR holders and non citizens.

Also, some courses are commonwealth supported ( only for PR and citizens) which means fees are lower, others are full fee paying ( again for pr holders and citizens.

Most universities have a number of commonwealth supported places.

International fees are way higher and neither of the above applies to them.

There is no such thing as a 'skilling' up rate.

There are domestic fee paying courses for PR holders and citizens. Then there are international rates for non PR holders and non citizens.

Also, some courses are commonwealth supported ( only for PR and citizens) which means fees are lower, others are full fee paying ( again for pr holders and citizens.

Most universities have a number of commonwealth supported places.

International fees are way higher and neither of the above applies to them.

Perhaps you ought to tell a number of universities that then. I have been told my explanation is correct by Victoria, Melbourne and Deakin universities

I work in education.

All the questioner can do is contact a number of unis and find out what the fees would be for their circumstances. That's what I did, and as I said in in earlier post, all of the unis I contacted said the same thing and specifically mentioned 'skilling up' which was confirmed in writing but if you know better than the admissions staff at 3 different universities then I bow to your greater knowledge.

In regards to OU after months of speaking to OU UK and OU Australia the consensus was you can study OU abroad (but not in Australia) but you can study OU Australia anywhere in the world. I don't know if this was course specific but we triple checked this as it has led to my OH dropping his Engineering studies with OU UK as when we emigrate he will only be able to claim a percentage of his credits if transferring them to a course in Australia.

I hope that makes sense. So, if you are thinking OU (UK) then speak to them several times before committing to anything.

As it happens I am training to be a MH nurse (entering 3rd year) and would love to do something in Psychology afterwards so good luck. Have you done any additional training ie BCT or CAT etc?

Archived