Worried about taking my French Bulldog to Auz with the heat?

Kealey

Hi guys,

I'm worried about taking my gorgeous French Bulldog George to Melbourne due to the heat, these types of breeds don't seem to handle heat too well. And George can't even cope with the English summer. We have already booked him on his flight, but I don't want to be cruel to him as he doesnt seem to handle the heat well? Has anyone taken a snug nose breed to Melbourne, and are they coping well? Do you have any tips on keeping them cool? Or any thing you can buy to keep them cool?

We bought a house in Melbourne that has aircon and tiled flooring to keep him cool? But I don't want him confined to the house all day?

Thanks in advance.

Heat won't be a problem for most of the year. And for those months when it might - December to March - he should be fine with aircon and a tiled floor. If your house doesn't have a pool you could always buy him a child's paddling pool to splash around in. :biggrin:

Frenchies don't cope in heat. It's a well known fact with the breed. No getting round it.

Do things like walk him very early in the morning or later in the evening before the heat kicks in or when it's past. Plenty of shade and so on at home. Cool places to sleep. No car trips in the day when warm/hot or if you must with him air con on and in a shaded spot in the car.

Frenchies don't need long walks anyways. Short walks a few times a day and if its hot, more important to keep them cool and prevent overheating than taking them for a walk.

People keep these breeds in Aus but are probably more on the ball and more aware of the proper precautions they need to take to keep their dogs well.

If you are worried about him being stuck in the house all day, I'd not. Best place for him. I tend to think Frenchies are better in pairs than on their own as they are companion dogs and thrive having another 4 legged friend Frenchie around.

Who is he flying with out of interest? As many airlines don't fly them now and it needs careful planning for refuels and so on so not to be stuck on tarmac too long in heat when flight lands or some such. I'm sure you've planned it all to a T, would like to hear about it so can point others in the right direction in future.

Frenchies don't cope in heat. It's a well known fact with the breed. No getting round it.

Do things like walk him very early in the morning or later in the evening before the heat kicks in or when it's past. Plenty of shade and so on at home. Cool places to sleep. No car trips in the day when warm/hot or if you must with him air con on and in a shaded spot in the car.

Frenchies don't need long walks anyways. Short walks a few times a day and if its hot, more important to keep them cool and prevent overheating than taking them for a walk.

People keep these breeds in Aus but are probably more on the ball and more aware of the proper precautions they need to take to keep their dogs well.

If you are worried about him being stuck in the house all day, I'd not. Best place for him. I tend to think Frenchies are better in pairs than on their own as they are companion dogs and thrive having another 4 legged friend Frenchie around.

thanks Sniffer, some good advice. Yeah we are thinking of getting him a little friend when we settle in and have decorated the house so he can run around, he will have lots of space to play so he should be ok and he has so many toys, and he loves to eat our shoes so I'm sure he will love being home to eat them!

We just got a bit worried as he was way too hot yesterday in the shade and it was only 25 degrees and he wasn't running around. I've been told you can get these cool coats for them, so I'm going to look into that too.

I'm surprised you even got your dog a flight. We had to leave our frenchie behind. We're in Perth and seen a couple so I think your be ok in Melbourne.

Oh god that's awful! You poor things! Yeah we are flying to Melbourne, they have restricts on what times of the year we can fly, but apart from that they seem ok.

The final straw for us was our vet he strongly advised us against taking him so we got him rehomed , only flight we could source was via Canada to Sydney but couldn't fly him Sydney to Perth so that was that really.

Who is he flying with out of interest? As many airlines don't fly them now and it needs careful planning for refuels and so on so not to be stuck on tarmac too long in heat when flight lands or some such. I'm sure you've planned it all to a T, would like to hear about it so can point others in the right direction in future.

He is booked on a flight with emirates. You can only fly them during October to March. He's been looked after by a company called PBS, they have excellent reviews and you can read everyone's reviews on Facebook which gave me comfort as I was worried about the long flight. Just for the flight it cost us £1700 and then we pay for quarantine at the other side which we have been told is around 400. We have a calendar with everything on it of what needs to be done when so it's all good on that front. Has anything been announced further about changing the quarantine time from 4 weeks to 10 days?

Yeah that's so long for him, you did the right thing, but I can't imagine how you must have felt. But at least you found him a nice new loving home. My parents have offered to take George in if anything changes with the flying of snub nosed breeds, but I'd still be heart broken to leave him and my family behind.

Heat won't be a problem for most of the year. And for those months when it might - December to March - he should be fine with aircon and a tiled floor. If your house doesn't have a pool you could always buy him a child's paddling pool to splash around in. :biggrin:

thanks Skani, we are having a pool put in, but frenchies hate water and they can't swim due to their build. We will get him a cool coat that you can buy though! :)

Thanks for all the advice guys, and if anyone knows about if quarantine will change from 4 weeks to 10 days let me know? Thanks again

Not happening any time soon. If you are using a shipping agent I am sure they will let you know if the time frame changes.

I don't have a French Bulldog, I have a Beagle and a terrier cross. Hope these tips might help you little one. We live in Spain at the mo and it is the middle of the summer here - 40 outside in the sun during the day. I keep my two inside during the day (not much effort, they put their noses out of the door and run back inside til about 10pmish). I use bottle water for them and keep it in the fridge to keep it cold and also put ice cubes in their water bowl. I put wet towels over them when they are asleep on the tiled floor. I put the air con for them too if really really warm. I am finding that mine don't want to go for too long a walk in this heat either.

• 2 weeks later...

As you will find there will be a few threads in dog forums devoted to keeping dogs cool in summer.

If you can get a place with a doggy door and keep air con on, then he can go outside to releave himself and come in when it is too warm. I used to leave frozen water bottles around the sun room for my dog before I stayed home as a dog walker.

I still shave my dog down very short in summer and go out at the end points of hot days to avoid my spoodle overheating.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! My French Bulldog is 5 yerrs old. She started travelling with me when she was 3. She travelled from France to Reunion ( about 10h flight).

Then she travelled from Reunion to Perth during summer with 5 hours transit in Mauritius. So for the last plane, she was awake because nobody could gave her another medication. Above all, she couldn't travel with towel or toys with her. But she was alive when she arrived in Perth. She spent 1 month in quarantine there. And she travelled again and without medication from Perth to Alice Springs in summer! I know it's a little bit stressful when you need to travel with your dog but after a vet checking nd if your dog is energic, I'm pretty sure everything will be alright!

Hi there we have a dogue de Bordeaux and really don't want to leave him behind when we go to perth has any one had any problems with that type of breed while flying and quarantine and the heat etc he is three years old healthy but not very good with hot weather thanks

Hi there we have a dogue de Bordeaux and really don't want to leave him behind when we go to perth has any one had any problems with that type of breed while flying and quarantine and the heat etc he is three years old healthy but not very good with hot weather thanks

I'd really talk to a good pet shipper and discuss the ins and outs. Basically there are a limited number of flights etc and you can plan which time of year to travel etc and the least amount of time sat on the ground in transit or waiting for a refuel etc in Asia.

Pet Air are highly recommended. They also have their own forum on here so you can ask them questions.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/shipping-pets-ask-pet-air/

As for hot weather, you'll probably be looking at tiled floors, air con and a paddling pool in a shady spot for dog to lie in when he wants to cool off. And walking early in the morning and later in the evening and so on and in places where there is perhaps a sea breeze to help keep him cool.

He is booked on a flight with emirates. You can only fly them during October to March. He's been looked after by a company called PBS, they have excellent reviews and you can read everyone's reviews on Facebook which gave me comfort as I was worried about the long flight. Just for the flight it cost us £1700 and then we pay for quarantine at the other side which we have been told is around 400. We have a calendar with everything on it of what needs to be done when so it's all good on that front. Has anything been announced further about changing the quarantine time from 4 weeks to 10 days?

Hi Kealy,

I was interested to read your post as we have a cross Shihtzu/Llahso Apso who will be coming to Perth with us. We have been advised that the ONLY airline that will take her now is BA, flying LHR to SYD then 30 day quarantine before flight from SYD - PER. Did you book this flight recently?

Thanks

Mrs K x

Hi Tony,

Don't worry, there are lots of snub nosed breeds in Australia! I bought my pug 14 years ago from a breeder just outside Melbourne.. and he's still in perfect health.

You'll see lots of pugs and frenchies in Australia.

It is true, you have to keep them out of the heat and the sun, walks in the early morning and late evening, but then they're fine sleeping during the hot parts of the day.

Mine even lived for a while in Townsville in Far North Queensland and he was fine! So Melbourne will be no problem! You will need your Winter clothes!

And yes I have heard those cool coats do work well. You can even get ice ones I believe! I just used to wet a towel and put it on the tile floor for him to lie on or wrap him in it!

Good Luck!

• 10 months later...

Hi Kealey, can you please let us know how you got on with importing your French Bulldog? I am currently living in Sydney and making plans to import mine but I am still not 100% sure due to the high risk. I'd be interested to hear how you got on. Thanks!

Archived