Ceviche The cook book

VERYSTORMY

After the very successful launch of Ceviche UK restaurant in London, the cook book comes out this week.

Ceviche is Peruvian food and one of the best cuisines in the world. The beauty of it is that it uses clean flavors and fresh ingredients and is very simple and quick to make. Ideal for summer and BBQ's.

For details go to http://cevicheuk.com/

Has it got any guinea pig recipes in it? :wink:

Don't think I've ever had Peruvian - I'll go have a browse as sounds really unusual and interesting

Unfortunatly not. I like guinea pig. Ceviche is itself the best dish and takes about 5 mins to prepare and there is no cooking involved either. So, great for a lazy summer day. Lots of scewers of things as well for the BBQ.

This is a piece from London Metro

Lima-born Martin Morales is in his bustling pisco bar and kitchen, Ceviche, in London’s Soho. He’s explaining why Peruvian is so divine for summer eating. ‘We have the fresh ceviche [a seafood dish made with citrus juice],’ he says. ‘Peruvians barbecue a lot too – we have anticuchos [skewered beef grilled on coals], which has Afro-Peruvian origins.’ And there are salads. ‘A favourite is the quinoa, avocado and butter bean salad.’

Currently, Peruvian is a buzz cuisine and Morales is fast becoming famous for feeding Brits his food – not only was he on Sunday Brunch on Channel 4 last week, but he’s a hardback cookbook out and is going on a sensationally outre “pop-up tour” on Monday. ‘It’s never been done before,’ he explains. ‘Next week for ten days, we go to Aldeburgh, Brighton, Bristol, Cardiff, Padstow, Manchester, Edinburgh and more. It’s like a rock-band tour, we’re on the road bringing ceviche to Britain.’

To celebrate National Ceviche Day tomorrow, I’m here to learn about the daddy of all ceviches, his acclaimed Don Ceviche recipe. June 28 is a momentous day in Peru: ‘It goes crazy. We have celebrations of Gods of the sea and parties in different neighbourhoods and ceviche competitions,’ says Morales, who first slices and sprinkles red onion – ‘the name for this process is desmunazado,’. As he squeezes several limes – only two thirds of the lime so the bitter pith doesn’t overpower – he explains, ‘The trend for Peruvian has only really skimmed the surface.’ Next will be regional Peruvian food. ‘In the north, there is the town called Catacaos in the province of Piura, that has a ceviche culture. In Lima, we have another one, we tend to use ricoto, a strong red pepper more. Further south, you come to Huanchaco. Those guys are descendants of the Moche [some sources attribute the first ceviche to the Moche culture, a pre-Incan Peruvian tribe].’

Morales, who proceeds to show me how to slice the seabass fillet we’re using, never stops working it seems. Not only does he work 60hour weeks, but he has two young children. I don’t know how he does it. But I can guess when he adds conspiratorially, ‘The lime marination we’re making for the fish, we call it tiger’s milk. It’s supposed to make you stronger, give more energy and is an aphrodisiac.’ I watch him knock back a shot glass. Does it work? He rolls his eyes, avoiding the answer but adds gleefully, ‘We also have panther’s milk in Peru, which has Pisco in it.’

The piece de resistance is the fish: ‘Slice at 45degrees so you have a rhombus shape and obviously, look your fishmonger in the eye and ask him for the freshest fish possible, you want it day fresh.’

By now of course, it’s “cooking” time and he plunges the seabass briefly in our lime elixir [see below for the full recipe]. It may sound strange to novices but the lime cooks the raw fish with the citrus. The process takes 2 minutes before he muddles in a little coriander, the onions, some cooked sweet potatoes. We guzzle and muse. ‘For me,’ he concludes, ‘The exciting thing with Don Ceviche is the chemical reaction, the flavours released are like fireworks. Anything with less immediacy is a salad really, not ceviche.’

Can you do it in a Thermomix?

After the very successful launch of Ceviche UK restaurant in London, the cook book comes out this week.

Ceviche is Peruvian food and one of the best cuisines in the world. The beauty of it is that it uses clean flavors and fresh ingredients and is very simple and quick to make. Ideal for summer and BBQ's.

For details go to http://cevicheuk.com/

I love ceviche...I've only tried doing some of the simpler ones at home but they're super easy to do and delicious to eat!

Highly recommended!

Try the Don Ceviche recipe in the book. It is fairly simple and Time Out in London named it the best dish of 2012. We do it for BBQ's as a side / starter. There is a video of Martin making it on line from when he was the guest on channel 4's Sunday Brunch a few weeks ago

Mmmmm, sounds yum!

But it would be wasted on me at the moment as I can't get fresh enough fish here. Maybe I will treat myself when we move back to the uk

Probably the best fish in the world to do it with is Sea Bass which is great in the UK.

Guest The Pom Queen
Try the Don Ceviche recipe in the book. It is fairly simple and Time Out in London named it the best dish of 2012. We do it for BBQ's as a side / starter. There is a video of Martin making it on line from when he was the guest on channel 4's Sunday Brunch a few weeks ago

I think he should come on and give us some cooking tips and recipes :wink:

Can you do it in a Thermomix?

Not sure how you could make ceviche in one as there is no cooking involved.

But there are probably recipies in the book that you could. The recipies are not all ceviche - they cover the spectrum of Peruvian food, including food from the mountains and jungle and from some of the cultures that have mixed with Peruvian such as the afro/peruvian and japanese/peruvian who have each ended up with unique dishes that are different from the home foods

• 4 months later...

Archived