Cost of living in Melbounre

RNB31

Hi,

Looking at the cost of living in Melbourne suburbs for me and my wife plus a baby. I have spent a bit of time looking in costs of living and think I am nearly there with the below, can anyone advise?

Our set up would be renting a 3 bed house somewhere like point cook, with me working full time, my wife working 2 days a week and our kid in nursery 2 days a week. Running 1 car at the moment and buying the cars outright i.e no loan

I have not taken any child benefit or rebate into account as this can be an extra

So just a run down again...This is based on monthly outgoings to live a fairly ok lifestyle in a 3 bed house at $400 a week, family of 2 plus baby working 1 x full time and 1 x part time

Please let me know if something is too high, too low or if I've missed anything

Rent $1,733 ($400 a week)

Water $70

Elec $93

Gas $50

Foxtel $60

Broadband/phone $60

Food & Toiletries $1,000

Rates $0

Life Insurance $75

Mobile x 2 $120

Car Payment $0 (bought for cash)

Home Insurance $60

Health Insurance $40

Child Care $650 (2 days a week at at $75 a day)

Travel Fares $170 (traveling point cook to city)

Car Maintence/INS/Road Tax $200 (1 car)

Money for work $150

Fuel $200

Cash $800 (this is spending for all of us a month on activities, clothes, going out, day trips, hair cuts...your everyday stuff)

Savings (whatever remains at the end of the month)

Hey,

Thanks for that, so helpful. If you dont mind me asking what is your daily rate for nursery before anything is taken off for one child are you about $75 a day or more like $100?

Just looking over it briefly just now the figures appear there abouts and you said you have already deducted the child rebate and benefit....one thing that seems way off on mines then is you have private health insurance at $230 a month and I have it at $40... not sure how I have gone so wrong?

I live in point cook and before any rebate is deducted the daycare rate where my son goes is $94 a day. Just a tip, get your child's name down now. There is massive waiting lists on child care in point cook. I know at mine there is over a 6 month waiting list for both the baby and toddler rooms and I know that most others are similar even for a couple of days.

Hi,

Looking at the cost of living in Melbourne suburbs for me and my wife plus a baby. I have spent a bit of time looking in costs of living and think I am nearly there with the below, can anyone advise?

Our set up would be renting a 3 bed house somewhere like point cook, with me working full time, my wife working 2 days a week and our kid in nursery 2 days a week. Running 1 car at the moment and buying the cars outright i.e no loan

I have not taken any child benefit or rebate into account as this can be an extra

So just a run down again...This is based on monthly outgoings to live a fairly ok lifestyle in a 3 bed house at $400 a week, family of 2 plus baby working 1 x full time and 1 x part time

Please let me know if something is too high, too low or if I've missed anything

Rent $1,733 ($400 a week)

Water $70

Elec $93

Gas $50

Foxtel $60

Broadband/phone $60

Food & Toiletries $1,000

Rates $0

Life Insurance $75

Mobile x 2 $120

Car Payment $0 (bought for cash)

Home Insurance $60

Health Insurance $40

Child Care $650 (2 days a week at at $75 a day)

Travel Fares $170 (traveling point cook to city)

Car Maintence/INS/Road Tax $200 (1 car)

Money for work $150

Fuel $200

Cash $800 (this is spending for all of us a month on activities, clothes, going out, day trips, hair cuts...your everyday stuff)

Savings (whatever remains at the end of the month)

Hi family of four (two young kids under 5)

I have put down my figures next to yours (plus comments) for a new 4 bed single story house in Point Cook. I have one large american fridge 3 TV's (plus all the usual home entertainment stuff) I work from home 3 days a week so my home server and laptops are always running.

Rent $1,733 ($400 a week) - $1620

Water $70 - $100 per quarter

Elec $93 - $150 this month $125 last month (we purchased a tumble dryer last month which probably explains the increase)

Gas $50 - $130 per month at the moment but approx £30 per month in the non winter months

Foxtel $60 - $120 (2 x HD subscriptions all channels but no movies or sports)

Broadband/phone $60 -$110 (100MB fibre optic 500GB cap plus net phone with iiNet)

Food& Toiletries $1,000 (this is about right, but I would budget $1200 for the first few months whilst you learn where to shop and especially if buying nappies and restocking of toiletries)

Rates $0

LifeInsurance $75 - I have a policy which work pays for

Mobilex 2 $120 $80 (Telstra for a new smart phone and for a similar call plan to UK £40 per month call plan)

CarPayment $0 (bought for cash)

HomeInsurance $60 - this is about right

HealthInsurance $40 -$167 per month (you are way out)

ChildCare $650 (2 days a week at $75 a day) - Probably better budgeting for $90 per day

TravelFares $170 (traveling point cook to city) - MiKi is capped at around $11 a day if you are using public transport, parking in the city will be around $15- $20 a day

CarMaintence/INS/Road Tax $200 (1 car) - I can't comment as I salary package my car so everything is included

Moneyfor work $150 -Save cash and take a packed lunch

Fuel $200 - I would budget $250 to be safe

Cash $800 (this is spending for all of us a month on activities, clothes, going out,day trips, hair cuts...your everyday stuff) Savings(whatever remains at the end of the month) - Whilst that looks good on paper $800 does not go as far as £800 in the UK does. It is probably the same as having £400 - £450 left over for the month, can you afford to do all of the above for £400?

Regarding energy prices

Electricity can fluctuate between $125 - $180 in the summer depending on air con use etc. My gas bills have been non-existent till this month which was $250 for approx 70 days use (dual fuel customer so I get my gas bill every 2nd month alongside my electric) as the weather turned in May and we have had the heating on. Since October my gas bills have been approx $30 per month, all the new builds have solar panels fitted so your hot water is covered by that.

If you budget say $200 per month for electric and $100 per month for gas (over the course of 12 months) you should not have any surprises you will probably find that this will cover you water charges for the year as well

What a horrible way to live..All these calculations for everything..I couldnt live like that..Its depressing.

And the cost of living is increasing monthly..So what relevance do your calculations have? Australia is very,very expensive.. Im on the verge of getting

out because of this..

Hey,

Thanks for that, so helpful. If you dont mind me asking what is your daily rate for nursery before anything is taken off for one child are you about $75 a day or more like $100?

Just looking over it briefly just now the figures appear there abouts and you said you have already deducted the child rebate and benefit....one thing that seems way off on mines then is you have private health insurance at $230 a month and I have it at $40... not sure how I have gone so wrong?

$100 per grommet per day.

Hey,

$40 is about right for ambulance cover for the year..maybe that's what you looked at??

What a horrible way to live..All these calculations for everything..I couldnt live like that..Its depressing.

And I have responsibilities to ensure my family can survive.

I would be depressed if we lost it all because I made silly decisions and we couldn't service that debt.

From that post you sound like someone who has no responsibilities for anything.

Leanda – Thanks for the info and heads up, I had read about the waiting lists so great to actually hear it form someone thanks again.

Wellers and whitehead -I may have got this mixed up will need to look into it again

Dmjg – Thanks for the fee cost so by the sounds of it I need to increase this too $90-100. Also well said in regards to the other posts comments, sadly we have to work these things out especially when kids are involved.

Gwolst77 – thanks for your figures, and info. I seem to be not far off…well apart from the health insurance. I take it that is a family of 4 cover?

Basically what I am aiming with our jobs is my wife to work 2 days a week about $25 an hour and I am aiming for $75k a year + super, working it out on a online tax calculator that would bring us in a joint income of $6129 not including and child care rebate or benefit that would be extra

So out of interest what is the going rate for health care for 2 adults and a baby?

My 2 cents.

Take what you earn in £ now. Multiply it by 2.5. If you will be on wages of less than that, then you will have a lower standard of living than you did in the UK.

So for instance, if you currently earn £40,000, you will need to earn AU$100,000 to be able to buy the same stuff.

BB

We pay approx $240/m for health insurance for 2 people. Maybe you were looking at the rates for single people per week.

Archived