Any Aussies Moving back to the UK!

jen85

This might sound strange to some but just curious if there are any Aussies out there who have done a stint in the UK and after returning to Oz have made the decision to go back?

This is something that I think some other people must have thoughts of but not sure if this is the right forum for it :)

Thoughts anyone..

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for delay in replying to your post.

I have done it - twice. Am an Australian who lives in the UK. Have been here for a long time - since the mid 970's. Moved back in 1988 and spent 6 months in Brisbane, which was too dull for us.

I am from Western Queensland originally, with boarding school in Toowoomba and the Gold Coast. Am simply astonished to see people raving on these forums about little Australian country towns and deathly dull suburbs in Australia which I was soooooooooo desperate to escape. Guess it works both ways. I am the generation after Clives James and Germaine Greer.

We came back and than returned to Melbourne a year of so later which was much better. But still came back to London a year later and than Buckinghamshire which is home now. We didn't have access to something like this than which is a shame. The one consolation I have from here is the realisation that I am not the only person who prefers UK to Australia. Always felt a bit of the odd one out moving in this direction but I suspect that there are quite a few Australians who have made the UK home.

I think the GFC halted that a bit.

If things are working for you in the UK I think life is pretty good, even compared to Australia.

Unfortunately have had a rough time last couple of years (I own a business) and we did briefly look at Australia again but decided not to. Love Buckinghamshire's greeness and proximity to London. Will always miss the surf and good food of Queensland, but nothing else. I suspect that Australia has changed quite a lot in the last 5 years or so.

When I left in the 1973 there was a commodities boom on as well and the dollar was very strong. I worked for 3 months on nightshifts for Queensland Railways and saved enough to travel the world for three years!

There is another boom on now which seems to be petering out so I guess these things come in cycles.

God knows if this is what you were expecting ie the person who started this post.

A really interesting post, just hearing the opposite of so many posters experiences on these forums if you like. I love Buckinghamshire too, beautiful part of the world.

I am a pom but had lived away for a longish while and moved back for a while, took me a while to get used to the difference, then of course you do get used to it. Then returned to live in Aus and had to do the same here, not liking it at first but getting used to the difference. I know a lot of Aussies and Kiwis who have chosen UK as there home. I also know younger people who have moved over there and are making their lives there. One of my best friend has a son who went for a working holiday 12 years ago and has lived there ever since, has a business in London. I have a nephew who was born in New Zealand who has made UK his home. Another friend of mine has a son who has made the USA home.

Its a global village now and lets face it really, one city is like another in concrete etc, even the same chain shops etc. So there is a lot of similarity even if we do not want to see it.

The only thing I would say is if you want to drift around the world make sure there is a good pension plan in place. My parents drifted around the world and spent the loot. Not that I mind now, but as my mum is aged now and very old it would be helpful if she had more cash :wink: not for me but just to give her any care she may need.

We need to make up our own minds and find out what we are like, what seems dull and boring to one is heaven to someone else.

I hate crowds, hate big doos all that stuff, boring does it for me. Hence the wide open spaces of Aus are soothing for me, where as others its the noisy city and buzz they go for.

There is something for everyone these days.

Go with your heart.

I have done it - twice. Am an Australian who lives in the UK. Have been here for a long time - since the mid 970's. Moved back in 1988 and spent 6 months in Brisbane, which was too dull for us.

I am from Western Queensland originally, with boarding school in Toowoomba and the Gold Coast. Am simply astonished to see people raving on these forums about little Australian country towns and deathly dull suburbs in Australia which I was soooooooooo desperate to escape. Guess it works both ways. I am the generation after Clives James and Germaine Greer.

We came back and than returned to Melbourne a year of so later which was much better. But still came back to London a year later and than Buckinghamshire which is home now. We didn't have access to something like this than which is a shame. The one consolation I have from here is the realisation that I am not the only person who prefers UK to Australia. Always felt a bit of the odd one out moving in this direction but I suspect that there are quite a few Australians who have made the UK home.

If things are working for you in the UK I think life is pretty good, even compared to Australia.

Unfortunately have had a rough time last couple of years (I own a business) and we did briefly look at Australia again but decided not to. Love Buckinghamshire's greeness and proximity to London. Will always miss the surf and good food of Queensland, but nothing else. I suspect that Australia has changed quite a lot in the last 5 years or so.

When I left in the 1973 there was a commodities boom on as well and the dollar was very strong. I worked for 3 months on nightshifts for Queensland Railways and saved enough to travel the world for three years!

There is another boom on now which seems to be petering out so I guess these things come in cycles.

God knows if this is what you were expecting ie the person who started this post.

Good to see the other side...great post.

dont expect a like from hoff...:biglaugh:

Winter is Coming - what did you mean by " just hearing the opposite of so many posters experiences on these forums if you like"

Am curious. I see you are in Melbourne? Loved Prahan market all those years ago.

It's really nice to read that someone enjoys the UK as opposed to many posters who've become fed up or disillusioned with the place. That's not a criticism of them BTW. You don't often get to read about Australians who choose to live in the UK on PIO so it's nice to read your reasons why. To tell you the truth I wish my Australian partner had the same view of the UK as you seem to, that way I might one day get to go home!

Prahan Market still going strong BTW, best place in Melbourne for meat and little treats from the Deli :smile:

It's really nice to read that someone enjoys the UK as opposed to many posters who've become fed up or disillusioned with the place. That's not a criticism of them BTW. You don't often get to read about Australians who choose to live in the UK on PIO so it's nice to read your reasons why. To tell you the truth I wish my Australian partner had the same view of the UK as you seem to, that way I might one day get to go home!

Prahan Market still going strong BTW, best place in Melbourne for meat and little treats from the Deli :smile:

I've lived in the UK for so long now and I always swore I would never go back to Aus but now I can't wait to get back out there and 9 months for Mr MtT's spouse visa to come through feels like a lifetime. Ten years ago, he was all up for lets go to Aus and I was omg you're joking aren't you, but now I've relented and am thinking why was I so resistant to this? Strange how you change as you get older......

Moved to Oz in 1971 and lived through the boom and bust and boom and now 'going bust' cycle! Came back to UK 14 years ago and lived and worked in Paignton for 9 months but cost of living was too high in comparison to wages then and decided to return to Oz - plus the fact we still had 2 houses over there rented out so had commitments. 11 weeks ago we came back to UK having sold the houses, cars and most of the furniture and have started all over again back in Paignton and we now feel totally at peace. This is where we belong. And the cost of living is now so low in comparison to Australia. My husband keeps saying I'm not spending enough on food! Our weekly food costs are half or less than in Australia. We are renting a unit overlooking Paignton Harbour at the moment for less than a small rental in one of the worst areas of Brisbane outer suburbs! Our petrol costs have not changed at all because we can walk to the shops here instead of always having to drive, not only because of the distance but also because of the endless hot weather in Oz. And everyone is so friendly here - we're amazed! When people are friendly here they actually mean it whereas in Oz people appear friendly but it doesn't mean anything other than a nod. People are also much more polite here - again we've been staggered. And drivers are so darned patient in comparison. Add to that, the glorious varied scenery and so much to do and see - makes me realise how boring Australia is and I've driven all around and across over a period of 4 years. Even the rain in the UK is gentle LOL Love it - all of it.

Great story, I love Buckinghamshire its very pretty and its where my mum and her family are all from originally so in a strange way I feel a connection to it and the UK as a whole.

Hi again.

Haven't used this forum before but it would be very interesting to keep it on track ie Australians who have moved to UK, moved back to Australia and than back to UK. Rather than UK people who have moved to Australia and back. Seem to be a million threads for that general topic. When I have time I will post again. Rather oddly I had left Australia in 1973 to get away from family as well as to see the world and when I went back in 1988 I couldn't cope having family around me again! My apoligies to all those out there who miss their families. I spent almost all my schooling years at boarding school (being from the country) so that probably explains it. Best wishes

Hi again.

Haven't used this forum before but it would be very interesting to keep it on track ie Australians who have moved to UK, moved back to Australia and than back to UK. Rather than UK people who have moved to Australia and back. Seem to be a million threads for that general topic. When I have time I will post again. Rather oddly I had left Australia in 1973 to get away from family as well as to see the world and when I went back in 1988 I couldn't cope having family around me again! My apoligies to all those out there who miss their families. I spent almost all my schooling years at boarding school (being from the country) so that probably explains it. Best wishes

I an an Aussie and have just moved back after 14 years in the UK. Honeslty I feel more British now than I do Australian. I find myself on this forum and seeking out other poms on facebook. Its weird I feel quite displaced.

We are not currently looking at moving back to the UK but who knows. Been here 1 year next month and its been really tough. I still havent found work and hubby has been made redundant and is hoping to get some contract work and find something more permanent. I guess we are lucky in that we have a very young son so we dont have to pick our forever area to live just yet.

Winnie = I am also from Western Queensland (west of Toowoomba) where are you from?

Thanks for keeping this thread on track! ie Australians who have moved to UK. My family originally from Julia Creek than Dalby. My father was a Stock and Station agent. I understand how you feel. I never really settled when we went back (twice). My wife is from Latin America. Funnily enough I have only suffered from doubt in the last couple of years as have had had a hard time here with business. But have always felt that if life going good here than UK is a good place to live - tolerant, easy to set up a business, easy to get anywhere in the world (if you have just a bit of money), very pretty countryside, places of interest everywhere and BBC simply astonishingly good.

Guest aussielandscaper

We know quite a few other Aussies who have moved here permanently and have great lives. This country has a huge amount to offer especially if you have the right attitude and dont expect to get the same things you had back home and of course it works the other way as well. Plenty to love here.

Moved to Oz in 1971 and lived through the boom and bust and boom and now 'going bust' cycle! Came back to UK 14 years ago and lived and worked in Paignton for 9 months but cost of living was too high in comparison to wages then and decided to return to Oz - plus the fact we still had 2 houses over there rented out so had commitments. 11 weeks ago we came back to UK having sold the houses, cars and most of the furniture and have started all over again back in Paignton and we now feel totally at peace. This is where we belong. And the cost of living is now so low in comparison to Australia. My husband keeps saying I'm not spending enough on food! Our weekly food costs are half or less than in Australia. We are renting a unit overlooking Paignton Harbour at the moment for less than a small rental in one of the worst areas of Brisbane outer suburbs! Our petrol costs have not changed at all because we can walk to the shops here instead of always having to drive, not only because of the distance but also because of the endless hot weather in Oz. And everyone is so friendly here - we're amazed! When people are friendly here they actually mean it whereas in Oz people appear friendly but it doesn't mean anything other than a nod. People are also much more polite here - again we've been staggered. And drivers are so darned patient in comparison. Add to that, the glorious varied scenery and so much to do and see - makes me realise how boring Australia is and I've driven all around and across over a period of 4 years. Even the rain in the UK is gentle LOL Love it - all of it.
nicest post I have ever read on this forum.

• 2 weeks later...
We know quite a few other Aussies who have moved here permanently and have great lives. This country has a huge amount to offer especially if you have the right attitude and dont expect to get the same things you had back home and of course it works the other way as well. Plenty to love here.

more like you IN to the U.K landscaper .....and more moaning b.stards the other way :wink:

Guest guest74886

Hi Winnie or at least to the person behind the pseudonym

Very touched by your posts, some very interesting and reassuring comments given with some thought behind them and an awareness of the issues confronting both countries and the people flitting between them.

Would be very nice to have some proper constructive dialogue about the differences as perceived by people with real experience of the countries rather than simple entrenched opinions based on little more than prejudice as in some threads on here.

Hi Winnie or at least to the person behind the pseudonym

Very touched by your posts, some very interesting and reassuring comments given with some thought behind them and an awareness of the issues confronting both countries and the people flitting between them.

Would be very nice to have some proper constructive dialogue about the differences as perceived by people with real experience of the countries rather than simple entrenched opinions based on little more than prejudice as in some threads on here.

Each to their own, everyone has different tastes in life and I wouldn't consider moving back "flitting", some people are born in a country that they just never fitted into and then find somewhere else more suited to them. People who have lived in both places do have genuine life experience and appreciate things more in life, I believe.

I find your journey amazing and inspiring!

at the moment, I have been struggling with living in oz for nearly 5 years.

infeb afater my dad died, my hubby came home with me as I requested... for the funeral and to help care for my mum ( alz ).

he said whilst back, that we could work towards moving back. I was so shocked and happy,

now back on oz I am struggling with guilt from both sides.

leaving mum in a home and wanting to be there... missing my friends n family...the weather ( a I hate the heat ) and way of life there.

my hubby swings from buying land here for a little farmy type home, to land for retirement in Ireland...and the not so keen option of his, returning to our old area/home...where we were in feb!!!

so I feel extremely guilty for leaving home, for not being there now ....and guilty if I move my family back there...take away all the present stuff I don't care about ( big house, motor bike, boat ,cars.....) .... to exchange my own happiness for friends n family.

I therefore take my hub n kids away from life they have become accustomed to....and I know full well, we wont have much money in uk...rebuilding life at 50 when we should be trying to cut a mortgage...not increase!!

your story makes me see that it is ok to love n miss England...that I am normal to want to return to its simplicity and friendliness.

oz is just too big , n too hot, n too extreme for me.

I dread the thought of not getting back home b4 my children settle n start their own families here, for then I wont want to leave them, just as I had to leave my own sister, brothers, parents n friends.

such a confusing ,difficult decision when 5 to consider...not just my own , somewhat selfish desires!! ( to fizzybangs )

So why don't you go back now before the kids do get married and have kids? If I had felt like you do when the kids were younger I wouldn't have hesitated and certainly wouldn't have waited for that kidn of predicament to happen. My biggest regret is that I didn't bring my kids up in the UK so that they would have known their extended family and would have had a UK education. My daughter came back a couple of years ago and had an immediate report with one her cousins - not necessarily one of the relatives that I feel closest too and the now miss each other of course. I see the interaction here between the cousins and their children and it is priceless. I would rather have rented back here and to heck with the big house, pool etc and supposed 'lifestyle' and to have given them that gift of extended family!

• 1 month later...

Archived