Children's Vaccinations

beastmaster2452

Hello everyone,

Can anyone help, I am hoping to move to Wagga Wagga NSW on the 3rd Nov 08 (joined the Australian Defence Force (Army)), just waiting on Visa's. The problem I have is, will my children (Marissa age 8, Bethany age 6 and Paige age 3) be in date with all the vaccinations, they have had everything done that is required in the UK and recorded in the Health Docs. Is there any additional vaccinations that they will require?:notworthy:

Any info will help.

Regards

Matt & Family

:cool:

Guest Liz and Paul

Hi Matt,

I have just enrolled my youngest son into a nursery here, he's 20 months, and have to supply the dates of when he's had his vaccinations, they had a pre-prepared list of the vacinnations required and I just had to put the date when he had them, which I copied from his red book - they photocopied this aswell. It seems when they are babies in the UK they have vaccinations at 2, 3 and 4 months, but in Oz they just have 2 lots. One thing that was on their list that our kids haven't had or ever been offered is Hepatitus B, but the nursery were satisfied when I explained it has never been offered and said there are rarely outbreaks in Oz. I looked all through the red book and noticed on the 'birth' page there is a question that says Hep B offered and ours are both ticked No, so obviously not required in UK.

Liz

Hi

The vaccinations are a bit different here in oz and my daughter was offered a vaccination for Chicken Pox (which none of my other girls had in the uk and dont think they do this one in the uk) she didnt have it as she had already had chicken pox and therefore wasnt able to have the jab, this monday she will be having the new vaccination for the prevention of some type of cancer (i forgot what its called)

have a peek at NSW Immunisation Program - NSW Department of Health

this should hopefully give you some info

gizmo

Hi Gizmo,

Just a quick question. My 3 children are up to date I think except for the two younger ones who have not had MMR (wont go into the politics of it all) but just wanted to know whether I will have to make them have them before they can attend school? Hope it isn't still raining there!!!

Nikci

Hi Gizmo,

Just a quick question. My 3 children are up to date I think except for the two younger ones who have not had MMR (wont go into the politics of it all) but just wanted to know whether I will have to make them have them before they can attend school? Hope it isn't still raining there!!!

Nikci

Hi Nikci

Im not sure about the MMR vaccination - as my 3 girls all had this at quite a young age in the uk

here is a link for the MMR vaccinbe in oz

http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/infect/pdf/measles_cdfs.pdf

all the best

gizmo

Guest ashmalog
Hi Gizmo,

Nikci

it is bloody clod here!!! MMR is a national recoginsed vaccine and is required for most countries. dont beleive the hype. i am a practice nurse and truely believe in the MMR as i have read the research behind it. unfortunately parents are misguided by the media and then they worry. media info is 10-15 yrs old. i think you will find that oz requires the MMR as well as hep b and chicken pox although that is not a recognised vaccine in the uk. the cervical cancer drug starts this sep for 12-13 yr old girls and is not routinely available on prescription at this moment in time. n i would recommended hep b for all children prior to emmigration to oz and vaccines cost £20 each for a course of 3.

it is bloody clod here!!! MMR is a national recoginsed vaccine and is required for most countries. dont beleive the hype. i am a practice nurse and truely believe in the MMR as i have read the research behind it. unfortunately parents are misguided by the media and then they worry. media info is 10-15 yrs old. i think you will find that oz requires the MMR as well as hep b and chicken pox although that is not a recognised vaccine in the uk. the cervical cancer drug starts this sep for 12-13 yr old girls and is not routinely available on prescription at this moment in time. n i would recommended hep b for all children prior to emmigration to oz and vaccines cost £20 each for a course of 3.

Hi Ashmalog,

Thanks for the info - hear what you are saying and will have a chat with my GP again. In regards to chickenpox vaccine I understood that if they had had chickenpox they would not require this vaccine - is this right?

Hope it warms up - by the way where are you?

Nikci

Hi, my kids have had three doses of hep b and the chickenpox vaccine to catch up here. These were free at the doctors (not chickenpox, had to pay for that). Don't think you have to have the chickenpox one. The cancer one for cervical cancer, is free to all women under 25 it said on the news. You can get it done over that age, but it costs about 400 quid supposedly.

As regards the MMR, my kids have been done (one in Oz), but if your kids can't have it, or for whatever reason don't, youy can sign a form that states you object conciensciously, and don't need to have it done. If you don't have immunisations, and an epidemic of that infection occurs, your children will have to stay home until it has cleared.

The Australian Immunisation Register needs to be up to date on what immunisations your kids have had to entitle you to claim childcare benefit towards the cost of childcare for under 7's, so it's important to get it done a.s.a.p.

Jo

Guest ashmalog
Hi Ashmalog,

Thanks for the info - hear what you are saying and will have a chat with my GP again. In regards to chickenpox vaccine I understood that if they had had chickenpox they would not require this vaccine - is this right?

Hope it warms up - by the way where are you?

Nikci

Hi there, yes that's right can't have chickenpox vaccine if had the virus but the uk doesn't have this anyway so not sure if there is any possible way of having it over here. re HEP B - if you need to have it for work then you don't pay for the shots ie nurse, army, police, fire, water worker etc, have a chat with practice nurse at ur surgery and she will give you all the info you need. i am in lincolnshire at the minute but hoping to go to melbourne. going out in may for a wedding so will check things out whilst there, short trip but will have no kids with us (leaving them in UK argh!!). have just started the skills assessment process and now waiting for that to come back. hoping to be in oz by this time next year. what about you - what are your plans?

Guest fergie family

Hi

My children are 13 & 14 years old. Everyone keeps talking about the red book with all the vaccination dates in it . I have never had a red book but my children have had all the vaccinations going. Does anyone know where I can get a note of all the dates do I just ask my GP.

SUSAN

Hi Susan,

Your GP should have a record of all the vaccinations that you and your children have had. Consult your GP just to make sure evan if you have moved on several accasions like I have there is no reason why they should'nt. If you want a copy be aware there may be a fee per copy? (Labour Government for you)

Regards

Matt

Guest ashmalog
Hi Susan,

Your GP should have a record of all the vaccinations that you and your children have had. Consult your GP just to make sure evan if you have moved on several accasions like I have there is no reason why they should'nt. If you want a copy be aware there may be a fee per copy? (Labour Government for you)

Regards

Matt

you can ask GP for a summary of your notes as they will have to remain in the UK if you leave, all your immunisations should be stated on that summary. as far as im aware it is free.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ~mia-childs~

You don't *have* to immunise your children to attend childcare or school, but what you can't do is forget or not bother about it.

If you don't want to immunise the kids you will have to speak to a doctor about your concerns and - I'm not sure, you either get a letter form him/her, or there is a form to fill out.

If there is an epidemic un-immunised kids have to stay home.

Chicken Pox is still one of the optional extra vaccines, I think.

There are good reasons to give chicken pox vaccines, but I do wish they wouldn't sell it as 'convenient for mummy not to need time off work' :(

Archived