starting the process

jonas valent

hi there, i'm an irish man married to an australian woman and we are planning on moving back to australia in the near future, straight forward if you say it quick, we have a dog, kind of like our first-born in many ways, so we have to take him along too :) .

now to the meat and potatos of it all, i'll be using a permanent residency visa and i have my 40sp and 47sp forms printed off, and can fill in most everything easily enough, but i will be posting in here my progress to get a bit of feedback and advice maybe i miss something that someone here might pick up on but any advice would be greatly appreciated and hopefully some friends along the way,

bye for now,

jonas.

hi mad cow thanks for the welcome,

after reading through some of the posts here i have begun sorting through some things to pre-empt any proof of relationship queries i may get with my application, those being:

1 - my wife and my own social services correspondence

2 - my tax returns list her as a dependant,

3 - i am sorting through setting up a joint bank account, something i hadn't done before due to not using the bank much myself!

4 - changing our bills into both names,

5 - enquiring with a solicitor regarding a will for us each, i seen that it can be anything left in there so i will have to find something worth leaving seeing as i am clearing everything to start fresh in australia!

also we have some joint savings in the form of prize bonds, does anyone know could these be used as proof of a financial commitment to one another?

thanks and bye again for now!

Not related to your visa, but make sure you get your dog vaccinated for rabies well before you think you want to leave, I would recommend at least seven months before so you have time for testing and are not doing everything at last minute.

thanks for the input, my brother is moving to scotland the end of this month so he got the contact details for a vet that will get all the dogs vaccines and such, just wondering if the passport they can supply will do for australia though, hmm food for thought, thanks rupert.

hi mad cow thanks for the welcome,

after reading through some of the posts here i have begun sorting through some things to pre-empt any proof of relationship queries i may get with my application, those being:

1 - my wife and my own social services correspondence

2 - my tax returns list her as a dependant,

3 - i am sorting through setting up a joint bank account, something i hadn't done before due to not using the bank much myself!

4 - changing our bills into both names,

5 - enquiring with a solicitor regarding a will for us each, i seen that it can be anything left in there so i will have to find something worth leaving seeing as i am clearing everything to start fresh in australia!

also we have some joint savings in the form of prize bonds, does anyone know could these be used as proof of a financial commitment to one another?

thanks and bye again for now!

Have you been married long? If so you probably don't need to go over board here. having said that, I note that a number of the above will be things you have lined up only just before you lodge the application however, do you not have anything pre existing like proof of same address?

unfortunatly i was actually studying when we got married in 2007 so i had to keep everything seperate due to student grants and what not, and we got into the bad habit of not having many things in both our names, we do have some savings, the prize bonds and my P60 tax forms and such list my wife as a dependent. it was in australia that we got married so we have the biographical pages on our passports, travelling together also?

Have you been married long? If so you probably don't need to go over board here. having said that, I note that a number of the above will be things you have lined up only just before you lodge the application however, do you not have anything pre existing like proof of same address?

I phoned Australia House today in London to ask about applying for the Spouse Visa for my husband. It's probably slightly different to your situation as we lived together in a de facto relationship and had kids before getting married in 2006 but the only thing that we have in joint names is our mortgage! (Oh and our children :biggrin:) I hope that the mortgage paperwork and children will be seen as enough evidence of our commitment as we have separate accounts and half the bills are in my name and half in his (keeping it fair, although I think he pays out more than me lol). I hope that they think that having children, mortgages, grandchildren etc., are enough evidence that we are "genuine".

I actually called as I noticed a thread by someone else about a letter he got from DIAC asking him where his permanent address was going to be in Australia, what plans he had for getting a job and what job his spouse/partner did in Australia. The guy I spoke to said that they don't so much look at that as they do at how genuine they feel the marriage is as I was a bit concerned, because of course, we don't yet have an address in Oz or jobs and I was wondering if I would have to go over first and get settled with the kids, with him to follow later (assuming he got his visa).

Everything doesn't need to be in joint names. You need proof you are living at the same address. They will want to see evidence going back too. If you have been together longer than three years (check that - it might have changed) and can prove it you will get PR from the start. A joint bank account isn't essential either.

Just setting things up now won't help as much as older evidence but it will confirm a commitment.

Are you named on each others car insurance. The longer you have been married the easier it gets really.

unfortunatly i was actually studying when we got married in 2007 so i had to keep everything seperate due to student grants and what not, and we got into the bad habit of not having many things in both our names, we do have some savings, the prize bonds and my P60 tax forms and such list my wife as a dependent. it was in australia that we got married so we have the biographical pages on our passports, travelling together also?

I didn't mention joint names, I mentioned proof of same address. This can be individual mail to the same address over the same time period.

www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1127.pdf

Read this, over and over and over again. It lists all the evidence you need, and you only need a few samples of each catagory.

I submitted with only things like a joint bank account, a few statements showing transfers between our accounts, and post addressed to both of us. Plus other stuff like travel documents from travelling together, train tickets, etc. etc.

I would add that your dog must be vaccinated by a government approved vet, I'd get a quote from Pet Air too as they have been beyond helpful with shipping my dog over with me next month.

I'd also just recheck your forms, as they can change and you don't want to send out-dated ones. Plus, make sure all your Australian stat decs are no longer than six weeks old. Other than that, don't staple or clip together anything when you submit, just bung it all in!

• 3 months later...

so after a stressful few months of repositioning of priorities me and the mrs are getting our shiz together and, we have our visa application complete her own forms complete, i forget their details, and a fair amount of evidence for proof of relationship, some bills and such in her name with the same address as myself so hopefully this week or next we can submit everything, only problem i can see is the payment options, we keep all our money to hand, (dont trust the irish banks lol) so i wont get approved for a credit card, and it looks like i'll have to send a money order, has anyone else payed this way? just wondering if i'm the only one in this boat!

also i might add that we arent taking the dog with us until / if we can get settled as its would be too stressful for both him and us in our current planned accomodation with my mother in law as she has a staffy cross now!

i wont get approved for a credit card, and it looks like i'll have to send a money order, has anyone else payed this way? just wondering if i'm the only one in this boat!

Have you considered getting a pre-paid Visa or MasterCard card to make the payment?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Archived