Even if you absolutely HATE football, watch State of Origin tonight!

MARYROSE02

Seriously, this is HUGE in NSW & QLD. Look at the coverage in the media and then go to a pub and experience the passion. It is arguably bigger than both the Lions tour and The Ashes. It really is "State against State & Mate against Mate" when players forget their interstate mates in their NRL clubs.

You won't be disappointed!!!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, but it's Rugby League mate, not football

I gave my tickets away as it's my son's birthday. But have got them for game 3. Shame, I really wanted to go to game 1, the problem with game 3 is that it's either a dead rubber the wrong way, in which case I don't want to go, or it's 1-1 which makes it too much of a nailbiter, too tense to enjoy. I only want to go if by then it's 2-0 to the Blues

:wink:

Love Richard Hinds's writing usually, this one tickled me yesterday:

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/1546196/richard-hinds-eye-of-newt-toe-of-cane-toad-a-recipe-for-origin-success/?cs=12

Particularly love this bit:

They talk about Queensland pride. Actually, they never shut up about it. But what about Blues pride? Take loyalists like James Tamou. Born in the rugby league mad town of Palmerston North, just south-east of Sydney. Learns about the rigours of representative footy playing for the Blues' feeder team, New Zealand Maori. Furthers his appreciation of NSW life – by moving to Townsville. Let the Queenslanders beat their chests, but you can't buy homegrown passion like that. Although you can rent it.

Seriously, this is HUGE in NSW & QLD. Look at the coverage in the media and then go to a pub and experience the passion. It is arguably bigger than both the Lions tour and The Ashes. It really is "State against State & Mate against Mate" when players forget their interstate mates in their NRL clubs.

joke.jpg

joke.jpg

I gave my tickets away as it's my son's birthday. But have got them for game 3. Shame, I really wanted to go to game 1, the problem with game 3 is that it's either a dead rubber the wrong way, in which case I don't want to go, or it's 1-1 which makes it too much of a nailbiter, too tense to enjoy. I only want to go if by then it's 2-0 to the Blues

I feel the same way when we play Arsenal. I only feel truly safe if we have at least four goal advantage (& only then if we are in added time. NO not even then!)

Footie/football. I don't want to be pedantic. I don't mind saying soccer so people know I am not talking about any other code.

Glad I don't have a ticket for tonight as I still have cold.

My brother will be raging about Billy Slater (who has replaced Alfie Langer as his most hated QLD villain.)

Love Richard Hinds's writing usually, this one tickled me yesterday:

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/1546196/richard-hinds-eye-of-newt-toe-of-cane-toad-a-recipe-for-origin-success/?cs=12

Particularly love this bit:

They talk about Queensland pride. Actually, they never shut up about it. But what about Blues pride? Take loyalists like James Tamou. Born in the rugby league mad town of Palmerston North, just south-east of Sydney. Learns about the rigours of representative footy playing for the Blues' feeder team, New Zealand Maori. Furthers his appreciation of NSW life – by moving to Townsville. Let the Queenslanders beat their chests, but you can't buy homegrown passion like that. Although you can rent it.

Top article. I always enjoy good writing but how come you are reading The Illawarra Mercury?

I'm not, I read it in the (paper) Sydney Morning Herald yesterday. I googled "Richard Hinds Origin" this morning to quote the column and the first/easiest result to link to was from the IM. Lots of stuff from the Fairfax press gets used in their publications around the country, of course.

Love the Origin, it's the ultimate. Been watching the NRL and Origin since the 80's (we're from RL Country in the UK) so always look forward to this time of year.

Might be the Blues year this time!

Rugby League country? "Where The Heart Is?" (Loved that show!) & that movie with Richard Harris (Sat night Sun morning?) Growing up in Hampshire RL was as exotic as Aussie Rules. What year was the Challenge ?? Final where the bloke missed a sitter of a conversion which would have won the game? So easy a kick he could do it with bare feet? (I think he did do that to demonstrate how easy it was?)

I saw games between Australia and GB @ SCG 30 years ago. At one bloke from NSW spent whole game abusing Wally Lewis.

'A Sporting Life' was the movie. And the missed kick was by Don Fox playing for Wakefield in 1968 (I think, it was before my time).

Yes might have been THIS Sporting Life but now I have to Google Saturday Night Sunday Morning.

1968! I was 14. Trying to think who won FA Cup Final that year? When did Jeff Astle score? For WBA? 1969 MAYBE? Spurs beat Chelsea in first London Final in 1967.

'A Sporting Life' was the movie. And the missed kick was by Don Fox playing for Wakefield in 1968 (I think, it was before my time).

Yes might have been THIS Sporting Life but now I have to Google Saturday Night Sunday Morning. Albert Finney buf Rachel Roberts was in both films, maybe why I confused them.

That missed kick is on You Tube.

1968! I was 14. Trying to think who won FA Cup Final that year? When did Jeff Astle score? For WBA? 1969 MAYBE? Spurs beat Chelsea in first London Final in 1967.

Guest Ptp113

It's football.

Maroons 24

Blues 6

Well, any score so long as the Blues are second and the Moroons are next to the last.:wink:

And will be taking the ornaments off the tv 'cos the tackles will be so big.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Ptp113
Maroons 24

Blues 6

Well, any score so long as the Blues are second and the Moroons are next to the last.:wink:

And will be taking the ornaments off the tv 'cos the tackles will be so big.

Cheers, Bobj.

Maroans, not maroons

Guest GeorgeD

I watched the football game last night...Japan drew 1-1 with Australia.

Is there some other sport taking place tonight?

Guest Ptp113
Rugby league football, yes. It needs the qualifiers

Football suffices for the masses. The hoi polloi think otherwise

Living in neither state, it gets a big 'meh' from me. It is arguably not bigger than either The Lions tour or The Ashes..

Archived