Even if you absolutely HATE football, watch State of Origin tonight!

MARYROSE02

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to get into my Aussie sports. Watched the Soccerroo's yesterday and now my first ever Origin of States of game! Enjoyed both, first ever game of Rugby I watched in full as well.......albeit all on TV!

Guest Ptp113
I'm starting to get into my Aussie sports. Watched the Soccerroo's yesterday and now my first ever Origin of States of game! Enjoyed both, first ever game of Rugby I watched in full as well.......albeit all on TV!

Rugby is Rugby Union. The Origin game tonight was Rugby league, an entirely different game.

Guest chris955

Wait until you watch some real Rugby (Union), the only ball game worth watching ;)

Don't be a ***. Both codes are "rugby" to the wider world. I know that here on the E coast "Rugby" is used to describe Union and League is just "football", but it's easier/safer/less confusing/more consistent for non-natives just to qualify the codes as RL or RU. You've got a poster there who's a potential convert, and you want to put them off with nobendy pedantry about what you call the games? Sheesh

Guest Ptp113
Wait until you watch some real Rugby (Union), the only ball game worth watching ;)

Compared to watching paint dry maybe. I'll pass

Guest Ptp113
Don't be a ***. Both codes are "rugby" to the wider world. I know that here on the E coast "Rugby" is used to describe Union and League is just "football", but it's easier/safer/less confusing/more consistent for non-natives just to qualify the codes as RL or RU. You've got a poster there who's a potential convert, and you want to put them off with nobendy pedantry about what you call the games? Sheesh

People know either as Rugby, or League. Get over it.

It is all part of settling into a new life in a new country

Unsuccessful migrants hate Aussie sports. Successful ones realize that they can compliment your British teams. So during the barren period before the Pommie soccer kicks off, you now have AFL, NRL, SUPER RUGBY. "Too much football is not enough!"

Unsuccessful migrants hate Aussie sports. Successful ones realize that they can compliment your British teams. So during the barren period before the Pommie soccer kicks off, you now have AFL, NRL, SUPER RUGBY. "Too much football is not enough!"

A much more admirable attitude, cheers Dave

What is your point? That the working class northerners who could not afford to play RU as amateurs must never be forgiven for setting up their own game? (Irrelevant now that both codes are professional.)

Or messing with the 'sacred' rules of rugby? Again irrelevant as there are other types of football akin to rugby played e.g. in English public schools plus Australian Rules & "American" Rules (& Canadian Rules?)

What is your point? That the working class northerners who could not afford to play RU as amateurs must never be forgiven for setting up their own game? (Irrelevant now that both codes are professional.)

Or messing with the 'sacred' rules of rugby? Again irrelevant as there are other types of football akin to rugby played e.g. in English public schools plus Australian Rules & "American" Rules (& Canadian Rules?)

Referring back to a much earlier poster on this thread, I didn't grow up in a RL town - Sheffield is a football city. Then moved south with my folks and played RU at school. Then played more RU at Uni and in Wales after Uni. So RU was always "my" game, sort of thing. I did play a couple of games of RL at Uni and was hopeless - just not fit enough for the non-stop action, and didn't understand positioning

When I came here, I came with an open mind towards winter sports and watched them all. AFL didn't grab me, everyone says it's better live and I'm sure that's true. But ultimately I think the issue for me is I live in Sydney, where RL is so big. I don't dislike AFL, if I lived in Vic, SA or WA I'm pretty sure I'd be well into it. But I don't. RU I gave an even chance, but in my first winter here, the local team (Waratahs) were so poor in every respect (tactics, attitude, coaching, skills, results), they turned me off completely. I felt more affinity with the Kiwi sides, playing RU with real fire and passion, than the locals. But RL??? The quality of the skills and competition in the NRL is so high, I was blown away. Love it, love the game, am a total convert, to the point where it's getting on my wife's nerves (tough - in migrating here I have less extra-curricular other stuff to keep more occupied, so I gravitate towards sports). First team that grabbed me here was the Bunnies, so am a 2013 member and will continue that. Spreading the word too, sending my godson back in England (an RU player, captain of his school team) Bunnies jerseys and branded balls to get some cultural crossover going

A much more admirable attitude, cheers Dave

And as a "New Chum" you don't have to disparage the "other" code according to which state you live I.e. "bum sniffers" v "aerial ping pong! v "wog ball!"

Instead you can follow them all! (My sister in law won't allow AFL to be shown in her house!)

Referring back to a much earlier poster on this thread, I didn't grow up in a RL town - Sheffield is a football city. Then moved south with my folks and played RU at school. Then played more RU at Uni and in Wales after Uni. So RU was always "my" game, sort of thing. I did play a couple of games of RL at Uni and was hopeless - just not fit enough for the non-stop action, and didn't understand positioning

When I came here, I came with an open mind towards winter sports and watched them all. AFL didn't grab me, everyone says it's better live and I'm sure that's true. But ultimately I think the issue for me is I live in Sydney, where RL is so big. I don't dislike AFL, if I lived in Vic, SA or WA I'm pretty sure I'd be well into it. But I don't. RU I gave an even chance, but in my first winter here, the local team (Waratahs) were so poor in every respect (tactics, attitude, coaching, skills, results), they turned me off completely. I felt more affinity with the Kiwi sides, playing RU with real fire and passion, than the locals. But RL??? The quality of the skills and competition in the NRL is so high, I was blown away. Love it, love the game, am a total convert, to the point where it's getting on my wife's nerves (tough - in migrating here I have less extra-curricular other stuff to keep more occupied, so I gravitate towards sports). First team that grabbed me here was the Bunnies, so am a 2013 member and will continue that. Spreading the word too, sending my godson back in England (an RU player, captain of his school team) Bunnies jerseys and branded balls to get some cultural crossover going

Sorry, sorry. Opened mouth without engaging brain.

Guest chris955

To be fair there is only Aussie rules as far as 'Aussie sports' go and speaking only for myself I dislike it as much as I dislike Soccer ;)

Guest Ptp113
You mean people HERE know it as that. Others know it differently

I'm fully over it. But as ever, you are trying to make things exclusive and parochial. Congratulations on your sterling work of making Aussies look like bellends, I take my hat off to you

Try going interstate to say WA or Vic and say Rugby and see if they know what you are talking about? The answer is NO!

Maroons 24

Blues 6

Well, any score so long as the Blues are second and the Moroons are next to the last.:wink:

And will be taking the ornaments off the tv 'cos the tackles will be so big.

Cheers, Bobj.

Final result, Blues 14

Maroons 6

I reckon I did well in my forecasting...only got one number wrong...and one team wrong.:laugh:

Two games to go thumbs.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest GeorgeD
To be fair there is only Aussie rules as far as 'Aussie sports' go and speaking only for myself I dislike it as much as I dislike Soccer ;)

Cough...Football...

Actually AFL is the only professional sport I've been to see in Australia. I really enjoyed it, great family atmosphere at the Gabba wathcing the Brisbane Lions. Not a great team right this minute, but a good day out.

Guest Ptp113
Cough...Football...

Actually AFL is the only professional sport I've been to see in Australia. I really enjoyed it, great family atmosphere at the Gabba wathcing the Brisbane Lions. Not a great team right this minute, but a good day out.

Seems like not that long ago they were damn near unbeatable. How times change

Archived