Moving in Middle of year 10??

aharcall

We have just received our permanent visas for Oz.

However our eldest son is in year 10 here and will finish school July 2009. We are holding out moving to Oz so he can finish his GCSEs but not sure if this is the best thing to do.

He was born in June 1993 and will be 15 this June.

Does anyone have any advice or experience on moving their schools at this crucial time. Do you think we would be better moving him now and doing his exams in Oz?

Guest Karen K

Hi, we are still waiting for our visa however as soon as it arrives and house is sold we are OFF. I may seem a bit laid back but i also have a 10year old however we are not hanging around as i am sure he will catch up if needs be. Saying that our friends in Perth said all there kids went back 6 months when they started school in OZ and have had no problems catching up, it has something to do with there summers being different for ours. Hope this helps, if i am wrong i am sure someone will sort me out ha ha XX Karen K

It may be important from your sons perspective to finish his GCSE's to feel as if he's acomplished something but I'm not sure from reading other posts if they'll actually mean something here or not. Children can leave school at the end of year 10 but alot graduate at year 12. The school year runs from January - December here

Ali

If there is any chance of you going back to UK while he is still in education then let him finish them otherwise there is absolutely no need. Australia doesnt have the same sort of examination focus and kids can leave at the end of year 10 without anything other than a piece of paper that says they attended school full time until the end of year 10. The most important thing is that he is here and able to start school in the January that he is 16 or very nearly 16 - ie year 11. Most states have a two year progressive course for years 11 and 12 which are usually pretty much continuous assessment although NSW does have an end of year 12 fairly heavy exam called the HSC. This course will give him his university entrance score. All the enrolling school will care about is his age, his visa and his innoculation schedule.

Edited to say - the states have different cut off ages so if he were coming to ACT or Vic then he wouldnt start year 11 until he was 16.6 whereas in NSW or Qld he could start at 15.6 because the June birthday would make him one of the youngest kids in the class - cut off is end june or July for those states.

Hi

Thanks for that. I think you are right about letting him have some sort of accomplishment in finishing his GCSEs before we go.

He has finally knuckled down to work properly at school and is doing well and we dont want to stop him in mid flow and lose that momentum.

When he finishes school he will just have turned 16. We are going to move to Queensland so from what ive been reading that would mean that in the following January when he is 16 and 6 months he would start in year 11 and do two more years to get his Higher School Certificate - is that right?

As my hubbie said it is prob a good idea for him to have the GCSEs because even though we intend to stay in Australia for good he may one day decide that its not for him and want to come back to England to live. Also - best laid plans and all that - we dont know for definite that it will all work out. Prob this way we are hedging our bets as it were.

I would love to go sooner rather than later but their education is important and i dont want to mess it all up now.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mayerflyers

HI we have a son of 14, (year 10) turning 15 in July (born 2003 too) and are having the same dilemma. We've made the decision to go to Melbourne this year, since in Oz they don't take any major exams till year 12 and this gives him plenty of time to settle in make friends etc. We've just made a visit over there to look at schools and places to live etc and we feel he would have a great time enjoying all the sports etc. Seems like kids have a good life there. Also we intend to stay in Oz and we have been told GCSE's aren't really any use here, the VCE (Year 12 exam in Victoria) is what gets you into Uni. Also, hes beginning to dig his heels in a bit, and we feel if we don't go now, he might gives us more grief in a years time!

PS from what people tell us its more likely he will want to stay in Oz and us return. Have you thought about the IB, which is an international qualification they can do in Aust and which is recognised in the UK and elsewhere round the world?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest o'reillys

know just how you feel my son will be 15 in may and when we go all depends on whens best for him really. big dilemma! its been mentioned before thats its important kids complete the last 2 years. so would that be starting jan 09? confusing!

Hi there, our son is 15 in May 2008 so we have the same problem. We are aiming to be in Oz by Dec. 2008 as we have to activate visas by 22.1.09 and cant really afford to be flying back and forth. By going in December our other two children who will then be 14 and 10 will be able to have a few weeks to settle before starting the new school year in Oz. We have decided that the best thing to do is for Joe (the 15 yr old) to stay with family or friends here until he completes school around June 2009, and he can fly over then. He is keen to do it this way as well. He will then be able to take a few months to decide if he is going to continue with school in Oz - starting Jan 2010 - and what courses he wants to do and so on. Obviously all kids are different but I do think that it is a shame to not let them finish what they have been working towards, especially as they are always having it drilled into them that school and exams are so important.

No matter what you do you always worry that you may be doing the wrong thing as far as your kids are concerned, but at the end of the day we are all giving them the opportunity of a much better life by making the big move to Oz!

Sharon & Darren

Guest Mayerflyers

Year 9 Oz is Year 10 UK. They finish in year 12 in Australia so our son will finish year 9 there and then have another three years.

I AGREE with all the other posters big time however I think in general as Parents we just do what is best for our OWN child! They all go at their own pace and in my case I'm happy to take my Girl out of the UK in the middle of Year 10 because I really don't think she has anything to lose by it! YES! No GCSE'S etc.....................but hoping she will achieve more in OZ schooling than she does here! (in other words................she's not the greatest academic but has strengths in other ways) It's not always what we hope for in our Children but as long as we positively advocate their "strengths" then Hey! My conscience is clear!

Guest Mayerflyers

I'm glad to hear that your son is enjoying life. Although we are not there yet, I suspect that the Oz system will give my son a chance to mature a little and enjoy a more rounded education before he takes exams that will affect the rest of his life (he is a young year 10). He is actually happy that he will not be taking his GCSE's next year after all because he doesn't feel ready. The long and short of it is that you can take GCSE's at any stage in your life, and you are likely to get better grades anyway if you take them when you are older! We are intending to stay in Oz so whats the point of him doing exams in the UK that they are not interested in in Australia?

Hello all...

I know I've faced the thought of this dilemma myself, in the position of said student undertaking his GCSE studies!

We put off our prospective Australia venture for a year, I reckon that's probably my fault and due to a lack of money (but hey what can we do?). But we're going this year. I'm glad of that really, because this way I've got (those blasted) GCSE's out of the way.

If I'm honest I know I'd have felt like I hadn't accomplished anything, and if we do jump in and leave the UK and head back to Australia then I reckon it will be an exciting (and tense) time for me. I will by that point already be going through A Levels at college here, so I have to jump back through school years a bit!

Personally I think it's easier to get GCSE's out the way first, then even if you start A Levels, I've heard it's easier to start half-way through year 10 (in Aus) and get to know the people and the place and then re-start what is the equivalent of A Levels. Then move on to uni etc???

Well. I have to admit. I am a little put off by having to jump back through school again. But we'll see. I might never make it down under yet anyway!! Fingers crossed (firmly) though, I don't really like it here anymore.

Hi Luke

Thanks for that post...................it is refreshing to hear from a "student" point of view how you feel and certainly gives us the pro's and con's of the thread! Do hope you make it to OZ and with your positive attitude coming through from your post I'm SURE you will!

All the best!

PS....................Most impressed by the excellent grammar and I'm don't mean to offend you by that...............just that with texting/facebook/bebo etc etc WE ALL shorten things nowadays...............LOL!

Haha I can always change that if you want?

C wot i mean ite?

Yeah, no I like to stick to good grammar personally. I'm not one for bad grammar personally unless it's really quite urgent (like I'm running out of space to type in!)

Thanks again =]

Luke.

Archived