What do you hate about the UK?

Now a lot of us in this group take great pains to point out why Australia is no utopia and all the benefits the UK so this is our private opportunity to have a whinge about the country we call, or plan to call home.

The more whinges the better, afterall I need to do research on the country I'm moving to, not have unrealistic expectations, definitely not expect a 'better life' and god forbid if I do hate it be sure to give it two years just to be sure!

Okay I'll get the ball rolling..

The weather - where I am moving to in Scotland as Billy Connolly said there are two seasons June and Winter. Now I have found that June and Summer doesn't make my life any better but none the less in the depths of February I expect I'll be longing for the beautiful spring and autumn days in Perth. I will definitely not miss the worst of the summer months though.

Hmmm Jules,hate is a strong word!lol I don't like industrial area's,I dislike grimey run down area's.Ok there is old,but old and grimey?Not a good mix!Thankfully I don't live near any area's like this but I have been to a few passing through to other places,and it can be rather depressing.I dislike the fact that yes we have some gorgeous beaches,but its too bloody cold to go into the ocean lol,and re the natives?They need more self confidence.I don't mean OTT either,I am naturally confident and I can't work out whether its because I spent most of my life living in Australia or whether its just me,and it would'nt lf made any diff where I grew up!Jules you have travelling to warmer climes to look forward to right?We usually jet off to India either around Nov or Feb time for 2 -3 weeks for some sun!Start looking at holidays now for inspiration lolxx

Above all else, I hate what my job (GP-thats a 'secret' BTW so please dont tell anyone outside the group) has become. The NHS is in a dire state and GPs are seeing the job they love slowly but surely dismantled by successive govt tinkering. By comparison my job here is a pleasure.

If it wasnt for that one fact, I'd be encouraging my family to go back like a shot.

All the $hit I have to put up with here - the dullard inlaws, the lack of social life, the dumbed down media, the insular nature of the place, the blandness - none of that ATM outweighs the dread of going back to the NHS

Above all else, I hate what my job (GP-thats a 'secret' BTW so please dont tell anyone outside the group) has become. The NHS is in a dire state and GPs are seeing the job they love slowly but surely dismantled by successive govt tinkering. By comparison my job here is a pleasure.

If it wasnt for that one fact, I'd be encouraging my family to go back like a shot.

All the $hit I have to put up with here - the dullard inlaws, the lack of social life, the dumbed down media, the insular nature of the place, the blandness - none of that ATM outweighs the dread of going back to the NHS

And a GP wow, I'd have never guessed - you come across as an intelligent and caring bloke so that's not surprising really but nonetheless wow!

Hmmm Jules,hate is a strong word!lol I don't like industrial area's,I dislike grimey run down area's.Ok there is old,but old and grimey?Not a good mix!Thankfully I don't live near any area's like this but I have been to a few passing through to other places,and it can be rather depressing.I dislike the fact that yes we have some gorgeous beaches,but its too bloody cold to go into the ocean lol,and re the natives?They need more self confidence.I don't mean OTT either,I am naturally confident and I can't work out whether its because I spent most of my life living in Australia or whether its just me,and it would'nt lf made any diff where I grew up!Jules you have travelling to warmer climes to look forward to right?We usually jet off to India either around Nov or Feb time for 2 -3 weeks for some sun!Start looking at holidays now for inspiration lolxx

If I was going back to England I'd dislike the fact that people do not celebrate being English - no such problem in Scotland :)

The affordability of travel is definitely one of the things I'm looking forward to though!

Okay another thing I hate about the UK I hate is the Daily Mail led attitude to migrants.

It bothers me to live in a country where people are so narrow-minded (not sure Australia is much better though)

And a GP wow, I'd have never guessed - you come across as an intelligent and caring bloke so that's not surprising really but nonetheless wow!

I'm not sure if its a wow thing Jules, apart from the fact a lot of my postings are rather...unbecoming of a doctor? This place is my release. It eases the tedium of my working day!

The main reason I don't tell people is that I'd feel a lot more stifled in the kind of things I'm 'allowed' to talk about. That and all the PMs asking for medical advice!

Don't... I am returning to the NHS when we get back! Yikes! I am still hopeful that the camaraderie (is that how you spell it?!) is still there despite all the cr*p they have to deal with. I am an emergency nurse so it will be interesting to compare (internally!).

i think I am going to struggle with the weather. The other thing I hate is the town where we are going back to, which is OH's home town and where i trained and worked is a bit of a sh*t hole. Every other shop is a charity shop or a £1 or 99p shop. Recently they have bought in big high street brands but put them out of the town. So the town is really struggling to compete with these other stores. It's all a bit depressing if I am honest. (I would never say that 'out there'!!) But luckily we have Cambridge and Norwich about an hour away with decent shopping.

Don't... I am returning to the NHS when we get back! Yikes! I am still hopeful that the camaraderie (is that how you spell it?!) is still there despite all the cr*p they have to deal with. I am an emergency nurse so it will be interesting to compare (internally!).

i think I am going to struggle with the weather. The other thing I hate is the town where we are going back to, which is OH's home town and where i trained and worked is a bit of a sh*t hole. Every other shop is a charity shop or a £1 or 99p shop. Recently they have bought in big high street brands but put them out of the town. So the town is really struggling to compete with these other stores. It's all a bit depressing if I am honest. (I would never say that 'out there'!!) But luckily we have Cambridge and Norwich about an hour away with decent shopping.

Peterborough?

Why go back there if you hate it already? If we went back, we would deliberately go somewhere different

Family. OH's parents are elderly and his mum deteriorating with dementia. His dad is physically very frail. My mum's hubby is terminal with bowel ca and is literally taking each day at the moment. Surrounding the town is beautiful Suffolk countryside and we are lucky not to live right in the town. It's just going to take adjustment. I am positive it's where we need to be right at this moment.

What about when a flake of snow grinds everything to a halt? (Probably not such an issue in Scotland, Jules? - councils are more prepared perhaps?) but where I am from it's almost funny. Unless you are the one stuck out on a road in the freezing cold! Seriously though I am super excited about heading back, I am like a kid at Christmas. :)

Oh yes, not a word of what we whinge about here is allowed to be refered to on the on the main site!

"First rule of Fight Club is that you do not talk about Fight Club, second rule of Fight Club is that you do not talk......"

**** summers - as much as Australia's heat gets on my nerves, some nice sunny days in the middle of the year would be nice (god I sound like The Hoff!).

White van drivers / English Defence League / Sun-reader types.

The endless media negativity. Modesty and a self-deprecating way of looking at things is great (Australia take note of this!) but our media constantly run the place down.

Whilst back in UK on holiday I have been offered a job. So I am going to stay for the time being whilst my family are still in Brisbane. I hate the fact that the UK is a long way from my hubby & kids but we need the money. The weather is atrocious but after 7 years of QLD sunshine, it's a bit of a novelty. Struggling to find a lot to hate tbh, but I'll need to revisit that in a few months!

Haven't found anything I hate yet TBH - I don't like the way the Poms put England down with every breath and the constant whining about the weather (my mother has a doctorate in weather whingeing!) but that's probably the closest I come to hate - ah no, the car parking spaces!!!!! I know UK is strapped for space but need all the car parking spaces be as wide as they were when originally designed for Austin 7s? Surely a couple more inches either side wouldn't hurt?

My DH hates the hardware shops - nothing compares to Bunnings in his mind even though we have a couple of high quality niche hardware places - the cheap supermarket types are just pathetic in his opinion! Oh, and that his tomatoes didn't grow properly last year!

From a consumer pov I'm surprised to hear your comments on the NHS. Harpo - it may be that Cambridge is blessed of course but my GPs practice seems to have quite happy doctors and they deliver a cracking service (and a GP who remembers me is a bonus in my book!). My mum's practice also seems to be a happy enough place and the local hospital is world class. I'm sure there is red tape and restrictions but my experience of Canberra medical services didn't reveal that much difference (except I had to pay more for the privilege)

Mrs LZB - I'm close enough for coffee if you fancy one when you get back. I have a good friend in Woodbridge and often pop down!

Chortlepuss!!! Wow! What can I say?! Congratulations on the job, that's amazing! And welcome to the "I came for a holiday and didn't go back" club (Your airline will probably convert you to an undated return if you ask and if you never use the return portion you should ask for the taxes back!) - you're right though, maybe I do hate that UK is so far from Aus! I got offered a job last week too - shame I've retired and don't want to screw up my finances because I'd have jumped at it otherwise (surprisingly both DH and I have had a couple of offers since we've been here and neither of us has any intention of applying for anything!)

I am not moving back until the end of the year, but I am dreading that I may or may not need to tackle the Habitual Residency Test. And also that it can be a pain in the bum to try and open a bank account, as opposed to just rocking up to the bank in Oz and walking out 20 mins later with your account and plastic card in the mail.

But there's really not much I dislike about the UK at all. I even love the cold, and wet. If I have to be picky.. the only thing that truly irritates me is the money.. the different sized paper notes that don't fit in some wallets very well, especially the large 50 quid notes. I love the Australian plastic money.

Edited by Woofyhugger

Haven't found anything I hate yet TBH - I don't like the way the Poms put England down with every breath and the constant whining about the weather (my mother has a doctorate in weather whingeing!) but that's probably the closest I come to hate - ah no, the car parking spaces!!!!! I know UK is strapped for space but need all the car parking spaces be as wide as they were when originally designed for Austin 7s? Surely a couple more inches either side wouldn't hurt?

My DH hates the hardware shops - nothing compares to Bunnings in his mind even though we have a couple of high quality niche hardware places - the cheap supermarket types are just pathetic in his opinion! Oh, and that his tomatoes didn't grow properly last year!

From a consumer pov I'm surprised to hear your comments on the NHS. Harpo - it may be that Cambridge is blessed of course but my GPs practice seems to have quite happy doctors and they deliver a cracking service (and a GP who remembers me is a bonus in my book!). My mum's practice also seems to be a happy enough place and the local hospital is world class. I'm sure there is red tape and restrictions but my experience of Canberra medical services didn't reveal that much difference (except I had to pay more for the privilege)

Mrs LZB - I'm close enough for coffee if you fancy one when you get back. I have a good friend in Woodbridge and often pop down!

Chortlepuss!!! Wow! What can I say?! Congratulations on the job, that's amazing! And welcome to the "I came for a holiday and didn't go back" club (Your airline will probably convert you to an undated return if you ask and if you never use the return portion you should ask for the taxes back!) - you're right though, maybe I do hate that UK is so far from Aus! I got offered a job last week too - shame I've retired and don't want to screw up my finances because I'd have jumped at it otherwise (surprisingly both DH and I have had a couple of offers since we've been here and neither of us has any intention of applying for anything!)

Fabulous, we will be 10 mins from Woodbridge! We also have friends in Soham so will head up your way too I'm sure! Fantastic part of the world, East Anglia. :)