Are Aussies perceived to be harder workers than Poms?

wisey26

I was wondering if anyone on here has ever felt that they lost out on work opportunities because they were British. I ask because back in the UK I had an Aussie mate who owned his own successful business in the building industry. He informally told me over beers that he tried to avoid employing British people whenever possible because Aussie and Kiwi workers worked much harder and were more reliable. Furthermore when doing casual work of door to door sales of Energy earlier in the year, I was encouraged by my managers to state as part of my pitch at the door that our company was Australian with headquarters in Melbourne unlike other Energy companies, and many potential customers seemed to like this. Does such an attitude extend to the workplace when recruiting, or is it only about whether you have the skills for the job on paper when applying?

Guest chris955

I have never heard this to be honest, obviously Aussies will assume they work harder. I have worked with both over the years, they are all different, some work hard and some dont with both nationalities. I think with jobs becoming harder to come by the natural thing will be that a company may favour 'locals'.

Guest The Pom Queen

Personally I've found most employers in the Tradie industry prefer the British. However, with reference to your door to door sales, Australians like to buy things from Australian Companies or made in Australia

I just found it interesting that, in the UK, many people are quite happy to live off the dole and not bother looking for work. I am sure people reading this are aware of what I am talking about, if not I'd be happy to post links. In a small way I can't blame them because the benefits system there works in such a way that many families would lose out financially by finding employment, so they don't bother. Articles about "scrounging" families like this or about employers who were unable to find unskilled staff in high unemployment areas were in the papers almost every month. And yet over here I was astonished to learn in the press, and also from posts by members on here...about desperate unemployed Aussies and Kiwis offering MONEY to anyone who can help them find work...sums in the thousands. I've never come across that in the UK. Furthermore I read the papers here regularly and I have not read anything about Aussie scroungers so far. Is this a sign of a better attitude to work perhaps by Australians?

I just found it interesting that, in the UK, many people are quite happy to live off the dole and not bother looking for work. I am sure people reading this are aware of what I am talking about, if not I'd be happy to post links. In a small way I can't blame them because the benefits system there works in such a way that many families would lose out financially by finding employment, so they don't bother. Articles about "scrounging" families like this or about employers who were unable to find unskilled staff in high unemployment areas were in the papers almost every month. And yet over here I was astonished to learn in the press, and also from posts by members on here...about desperate unemployed Aussies and Kiwis offering MONEY to anyone who can help them find work...sums in the thousands. I've never come across that in the UK. Furthermore I read the papers here regularly and I have not read anything about Aussie scroungers so far. Is this a sign of a better attitude to work perhaps by Australians?

No, it's the sign of a completely different media.

Same problems in both countries.

Wow, I don't know how you have missed all the people scrounging in oz. Have you never heard people taking about the plasma bonus (baby bonus, well known for being blown on tabs etc, which it why they stopped giving it in a lump sum).

We had a big conversation at my works the other day about the baby bonus being scrapped and all thought it was a good thing as there are far too many people on benefits having kids for the wrong reasons, and why should they pay for them if they don't work etc etc etc.

obviously I have worked in both companies and have found far more slackers in the work place in Australia. Not that they don't work hard when they are there, they just often don't want to be there. I remember being told that as part of the job ready programme there would be a 'Australian work place attitudes' course (or similar name). I think the person on the phone thought I was joking when I said 'I already know how to say its too cold/hot/wet/windy/close to the weekend to work'. I wasn't.

Guest Dave53

I've been living and working in Australia for over 25 yrs , so I'm probably qualified to comment . I don't find that Australians have a better attitude to work at all , in fact they have an almost identical attitude to any other race I've ever worked with . Given half a chance they like a bludge , take the odd " sickie " or two and don't mind the extended tea break either . Where else in the World does the workforce stop to watch a horse race after all ? ..

As for Aussies and Kiwis offering large amounts of money to secure employment , I have to say that I have never heard of that .. If indeed it is happening then I would say that is more of an indication of the labour market moreso than a reluctance to claim benefits .

Dave C

There are dole bludgers in Australia (of any colour), but you are more likely to read about the Aboriginals that do so. That is a media choice. As far as not getting work because you are British, that's just plain old racism! In my experience, I found that a well-spoken Pom will be received badly by an Aussie. It's a cultural thing. The Aussie will believe the Pom thinks they are above Aussies and take offence. Not all Aussies will take offence though. Bottom line, if someone won't hire you because you are British, then you probably don't want to work for them anyway. There are plenty of migrants, 1st, and 2nd generations, plus those that have travelled outside of Australia. You will eventually come across an employer who will give you a chance.

Hang in there, and don't take rejections personally!

Guest chris955

As has been said it is more a media thing to be honest, Australia just like the UK and elsewhere has a big problem with bludgers and I am surprised you havent read anything about it but the media dont dwell on it too much. I must say I have never heard of Aussies or Kiwis offering money to get a job, is this something you have actually seen yourself ? I think every reply says it all, there is no difference in work ethic or attitude or willingness to work hard.

No, I have only seen British-ness being an advantage since I moved here. It was for me and the British CVs generally get a good look when they come through, I might even go so far as to say colleagues boast when they can announce that they recruited a Brit.

I don't think this is about how hard Brits work though, I think it is more about the experience that is often much wider than an Australian might have gained.

In my company, there are probably two distinct groups of people, there are some that work really hard and carry all the workload and then there is a larger group that do the bear minimum to not get fired. No particular nationality in either group.

Guest Ptp113

Pom organisations are always in Oz recruiting nurses, teachers, legal staff, etc. They are in demand for their higher work ethic and poms are willing to pay 'top whack' to get them and cover transportation costs. Many IT personnel were recruited from the ACT and were earning ludicrous amounts in blighty. Many I know purchased houses for cash on return. A pity I didn't!

My hubby secured his job because he was British, in fact when we first came he had 3 or 4 companys to choose from. As some posters already said companys normally WANT British people but my experience is more with Trades men type jobs ,but i have also heard nurses say similar so maybe its different for other lines of work .

I wouldnt say any are really harder working than the other, but we have found some Aussies 'take their time' and don't always have the 'get out now and do it' attitude, where as the alot of British migrants have the 'it needs doing and doing now' attitude..

Australians also seem to struggle serving or dealing with you if you dont fit the exact criteria their computer says you should, it seems a struggle to think out of the box , a bit 'the computer says no' type of thing,lol..

​ Cal x

Guest chris955

You only have to look at how in demand British nurses are for example, same with teachers and other professions.

No, I have only seen British-ness being an advantage since I moved here. It was for me and the British CVs generally get a good look when they come through, I might even go so far as to say colleagues boast when they can announce that they recruited a Brit. I don't think this is about how hard Brits work though, I think it is more about the experience that is often much wider than an Australian might have gained. In my company, there are probably two distinct groups of people, there are some that work really hard and carry all the workload and then there is a larger group that do the bear minimum to not get fired. No particular nationality in either group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu6dFpWEdfo

Homewardbound588 and Dave53 I have not seen it literally in terms of knowing poeple personally offering money for work, but I have read about it in the papers and seen news reports on the telly about it here. I have tried to see if I can dig some out as "evidence" which I noticed is quite a popular requirement on PIO but I can't find the specific reports I read. However the link above to a news report will show you that it does happen. The context in it is Kiwi workers, but I have read about Aussies doing the same.

Blossom79 I haven't heard of the plasma bonus issues, but I haven't been In OZ very long yet, I'm still learning :-)

But it certainly sounds like it's not an issue generally (Being Aussie or Brit) when seeking employment or in terms of work ethic, which is good!

I was wondering if anyone on here has ever felt that they lost out on work opportunities because they were British. I ask because back in the UK I had an Aussie mate who owned his own successful business in the building industry. He informally told me over beers that he tried to avoid employing British people whenever possible because Aussie and Kiwi workers worked much harder and were more reliable. Furthermore when doing casual work of door to door sales of Energy earlier in the year, I was encouraged by my managers to state as part of my pitch at the door that our company was Australian with headquarters in Melbourne unlike other Energy companies, and many potential customers seemed to like this. Does such an attitude extend to the workplace when recruiting, or is it only about whether you have the skills for the job on paper when applying?

Sounds like the aussie was just biased towards his antipodean chums, fair enough. But i wouldnt read too much into it.

I really dont think there is any difference, it depends on the industry, the workplace, and the management structure, like whether it is a very prescriptive 'top down' 'do as I say' culture, or more of a meritocracy culture (which is more nurturing and conducive to rewarding achievement).

As for your later comments about a culture of welfare dependancy in the UK, you'll find exactly the same in Aus

Guest chris955

That link goes to a scam where people are defrauded. I thought you meant people were paying employers for a job. Desperate gullible people are being defrauded by scammers in return for non existent jobs. That doesnt really have anything to do a persons work ethic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu6dFpWEdfo

Homewardbound588 and Dave53 I have not seen it literally in terms of knowing poeple personally offering money for work, but I have read about it in the papers and seen news reports on the telly about it here. I have tried to see if I can dig some out as "evidence" which I noticed is quite a popular requirement on PIO but I can't find the specific reports I read. However the link above to a news report will show you that it does happen. The context in it is Kiwi workers, but I have read about Aussies doing the same.

Blossom79 I haven't heard of the plasma bonus issues, but I haven't been In OZ very long yet, I'm still learning :-)

But it certainly sounds like it's not an issue generally (Being Aussie or Brit) when seeking employment or in terms of work ethic, which is good!

Homewardbound588 my point was that they are prepared to go that extra mile and offer payment to people or organisations they believe will get them a job. In this example yes these people got defrauded so maybe it was not the best example but it does illustrate the principle i was referring to. In the ones I read it was literally advertising via word of mouth that they would pay 1 to 2 thousand dollars to anyone who would get them a job in mining. I have never come across this idea or concept in the UK and to me that shows a better work ethic and attitude than someone who prefers to sit at home on the dole and not bother applying for jobs even when they are available.

I generally think that immigrants do have a strong work ethic, no matter what country they are in.

Most immigrants don't have the opportunity to fall back on the state if they can't find a job, or if their job evaporates. Thus they would work harder than they have to, to ensure they are more valuable to their employer than someone else. Therefore if a member of staff is sacked, it won't be them.

Employers all over the world could well take advantage of this by hiring newly arrived migrants.

A different motivation towards their work than citizens, but maybe one that shows they are more desperate to secure and hold a job?

Guest chris955

I cant really agree with the point you are trying to make, these people are seduced by the empty promises of earning huge amounts of money in jobs that dont exist, it really has nothing to do with going to go the extra mile. These sorts of scams are all over the world. Most people in both countries dont sit around on the dole and dont apply for jobs, you are just comparing apples and oranges.

Homewardbound588 my point was that they are prepared to go that extra mile and offer payment to people or organisations they believe will get them a job. In this example yes these people got defrauded so maybe it was not the best example but it does illustrate the principle i was referring to. In the ones I read it was literally advertising via word of mouth that they would pay 1 to 2 thousand dollars to anyone who would get them a job in mining. I have never come across this idea or concept in the UK and to me that shows a better work ethic and attitude than someone who prefers to sit at home on the dole and not bother applying for jobs even when they are available.

You make a very good point DMJG. I know it is true in my case. Back in England, I had a permanent job as a teacher, I did my job and i did it well, but I, like many teachers, loved a good moan in the staffroom about bad students, senior management, OFSTED, workload, stress, etc. I was also reluctant to do a lot of work over and above what my contract stipulated which would impede on my private time and weekends. But over here, as I will be on a work contract in a private school when I begin teaching next month, I am going to be volunteering to run every initiative going, never moan, be enthusiastic about everything, be first in school and last out, and treat every day like its a job interview because I want them to extend the contract or, if they can't do so, then offer me an outstanding reference or word of mouth referral to make the next job easier to obtain. And yet to them it may appear 'these Brits work bloody hard' and yet the reality is as you put it - nothing to fall back on and fear of job security which is driving me.

You make a very good point DMJG. I know it is true in my case. Back in England, I had a permanent job as a teacher, I did my job and i did it well, but I, like many teachers, loved a good moan in the staffroom about bad students, senior management, OFSTED, workload, stress, etc. I was also reluctant to do a lot of work over and above what my contract stipulated which would impede on my private time and weekends. But over here, as I will be on a work contract in a private school when I begin teaching next month, I am going to be volunteering to run every initiative going, never moan, be enthusiastic about everything, be first in school and last out, and treat every day like its a job interview because I want them to extend the contract or, if they can't do so, then offer me an outstanding reference or word of mouth referral to make the next job easier to obtain. And yet to them it may appear 'these Brits work bloody hard' and yet the reality is as you put it - nothing to fall back on and fear of job security which is driving me.

​Dont come wandering into my school, ok?

I am not sure what you mean by that DMJG. I can say to that is if enthusiasm about ofsted, micheal gove and the work they were doing, for example were criteria for employment then you'd find most schools in England without class teachers or headteachers. Have a look on the education section of the BBC for example in which teaching unions and the headteaching union express their huge dismay and diasapproval of how things are done by ofsted and Michael Gove. and the ever increasing govt initiatives and policies causing huge levels of stress. Or you could look at the Telegraph of 14 August 2009 which states 40% of newly qualified teachers leave the profession within 6 months. Over 5 years it goes to over 60%. A quick look on TES jobs alone and you'll see 400 jobs advertised in the UK...of which 100 are in my subject area. I have been in this industry for 7 years, and quite good and successful in my job otherwise i would not have beaten 60 applicants for the job I got in my school here in Melbourne but there is a limit to what one person can do if they want a work life balance, or if they want to avoid being ill from stress. If I did everything going I would be another statistic amongst those leaving the profession on account of stress. I don't expect you to understand what I am on about because I suspect you don't have experience in the classroom but a simple trawl online and you'll find lots of evidence supporting what I am saying here, and I can post links if you don't believe me.

I am not sure what you mean by that DMJG. I can say to that is if enthusiasm about ofsted, micheal gove and the work they were doing, for example were criteria for employment then you'd find most schools in England without class teachers or headteachers. Have a look on the education section of the BBC for example in which teaching unions and the headteaching union express their huge dismay and diasapproval of how things are done by ofsted and Michael Gove. and the ever increasing govt initiatives and policies causing huge levels of stress. Or you could look at the Telegraph of 14 August 2009 which states 40% of newly qualified teachers leave the profession within 6 months. Over 5 years it goes to over 60%. A quick look on TES jobs alone and you'll see 400 jobs advertised in the UK...of which 100 are in my subject area. I have been in this industry for 7 years, and quite good and successful in my job otherwise i would not have beaten 60 applicants for the job I got in my school here in Melbourne but there is a limit to what one person can do if they want a work life balance, or if they want to avoid being ill from stress. If I did everything going I would be another statistic amongst those leaving the profession on account of stress. I don't expect you to understand what I am on about because I suspect you don't have experience in the classroom but a simple trawl online and you'll find lots of evidence supporting what I am saying here, and I can post links if you don't believe me.

It was a joke, wisey. I wouldn't want you walking in with so much enthusiasm. It'd make me look bad. I'm old, bitter and twisted!

I know how it is working in the uk system, I did 8 years, I was working in a top performing gov school, we were the best in the lea and had to stay there. The pressure was huge. The workload stupidly high, every week was 50+ hours, just to keep up with everyday expectations. I refused to work another September term, I was prepared to go out and wash loos. So we came over here.

During my first interview I was speaking about all the admin tasks, ofsted, tla submissions etc and the principal interviewing me said, that sounds onerous, where is your life, we don't do things like that over here. Upto my fourth year here, I still work hard but my work life balance is so much better.

As a bricklayer in Victoria i can say they do work harder because they are behind the times in the technology side of the construction industry.

I have never heard this to be honest, obviously Aussies will assume they work harder. I have worked with both over the years, they are all different, some work hard and some dont with both nationalities. I think with jobs becoming harder to come by the natural thing will be that a company may favour 'locals'.

I suppose that there are hard workers, lazy work shy in most camps. I would however say that the Brits work longer hours than most European countries. Given the global climate people work harder in general to protect their own interests...

Archived