PR trying to move parents to Australia. Seeking advice.

Batbum89

Hi everyone.

I am coming up to my fifth year living in Adelaide. I came here when I was nineteen and am now 24.

I have recently gone home for a visit and as usual, the goodbyes are heartbreaking. I come from Northern Ireland, which currently has no opportunities for me right now, and as much as I would move back to be with my parents and family, I have come to love Australia and it is my home now.

My parents have mentioned that they would move to Australia, sell up and leave in a heartbeat.

I have tried to look at different visas but it is confusing and difficult to see what the appropriate measures to take are.

Could anyone give me some advice please?

I am a permanent resident and will be hopefully going through the process to become an Australian citizen within the next three months. I do have an agent through which I lodged my application to become a resident, but before I go to speak with him I would like to have a little bit of information and know my options.

Hi Batbum

If you go on the parents thread in migration issues, you will find masses of detail about getting your parents moved. There are two main choices if they want to go over permenantly - to pay or not to pay. If they pay they can be there in 1-2 years and it will cost aprox £70,000 for them both. If they dont pay, it will cost about £3000 and take 10 - 15 years.

They can also choose whether to apply from outside oz or to come to Australia (with no intention of staying) and then decide they would like to stay and apply from within oz while on a bridgeing visa. Still the same choices of waiting or paying. Best not to turn up at the airport with ten cases each for that one.

If you google 'parent visa australia' you will get the Aus. government site and you can find out all you ever wanted to know, AND download the relevent application forms, but basically for permenant residence the choices are - pay or wait.

For non- permenant residence you can get a new, parents visa which allows you to come in and out for three (or five) years (depending on whether your name is already down on the list for permenant residence). You can stay up to a year at a time but you have to really go away at the end of the year - I dont think a weekend in Bali counts.

Good luck, there are many people on here that can offer advice. Are your parents online? get them to join this site and join the parents' thread - its a real lifeline.:biggrin:

Hi everyone.

I am coming up to my fifth year living in Adelaide. I came here when I was nineteen and am now 24.

I have recently gone home for a visit and as usual, the goodbyes are heartbreaking. I come from Northern Ireland, which currently has no opportunities for me right now, and as much as I would move back to be with my parents and family, I have come to love Australia and it is my home now.

My parents have mentioned that they would move to Australia, sell up and leave in a heartbeat.

I have tried to look at different visas but it is confusing and difficult to see what the appropriate measures to take are.

Could anyone give me some advice please?

I am a permanent resident and will be hopefully going through the process to become an Australian citizen within the next three months. I do have an agent through which I lodged my application to become a resident, but before I go to speak with him I would like to have a little bit of information and know my options.

Well to be honest I doubt that there are that many visa options to work through, you should probably start by investigating the Parent Visa.

It sounds as though you would be eligible to sponsor your parents it you are soon eligible for citizenship but you do not need to be a citizen just a permanent resident for 2 years. Also your parents will need to pass the Balance of Family test, ie they need to have at least half their children in Australia. Do you have any brothers or sisters? They also count stepchildren.

You should probably start by looking at Booklet 3:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books3.htm

This will give you an overview of the different parent visas.

However there are only 2 or 3 choices. There is the normal parent visa 103 which is low cost, but there is around a 15 year waiting list for this.

Most parents go for the Contributory Parent Visa 143 (or the 173 temporary and then the 143 to split the cost). Waiting time is around 12-18 months but as others have said it is expensive. Most people sell their houses to raise the money.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/visa-options.htm

The above are offshore visas. You have not said how old your parents are. One of them would need to be over 65 to apply for the 804 (the onshore version of the 103.) The waiting time for this is currently about 7-8 years I believe and parents are given a bridging visa to stay in Oz till their visa is granted. However, they would only be entitled to limited Medicare and if they fail the medical after the 7 years, their visa would not be granted.

As already mentioned there is now an extended visitor visa for parents of permanent residents which allows stays of up to 12 months in any 18 month period.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/tourist/whats-new.ht

Having said that, Australia is an expensive country and your parents would need to make sure they could afford to retire here. We came over on a parent visa and are finding it expensive. They also need to be aware that their UK state pensions will be frozen at the date when they left the UK or at the date when they start drawing it. They will not be entitled to an Oz Age Pension for 10 years, and this will also be means tested.

Hope this helps. If you have any more queries there are lots of knowledgeable people on the parent visa thread which is a sticky at the top of this forum.

Archived