Clothes shops in Australia

ghostgirl

I love clothes. Really love them. I already know I'm in love with Wheels & Dollbaby in Sydney but its a teeny weeny bit out of my price range. I heard Topshop has arrived in Australia, I'm not too bothered about that I prefer quirkier clothing than what they offer! So what lovely shops/brands are there in Oz?

Not really sure about quirky shops as I'm more of a River Island/Topshop girl myself but I'm sure you'll find something. The most common clothes shops I can think of are Forever New (like River Island but more expensive I find), Cotton On (really good for basics like vest tops etc. there's also a Cotton On Body for underwear, pj's etc. and a Cotton on Kids), Supre, City Beach (surf brands/beach clothes). You can also visit Myer or David Jones which are the two big department stores. I live near Brisbane but I have friends who say that Melbourne is the best place in Australia for shopping, there's a Topshop there too as well as a Zara but sadly we have neither in Brisbane but apparently they are meant to be coming soon.

I love River Island I find it had loads more clothes in my style than what topshop currently has. For some reason everything in Topshop right now looks like its been photocopied from an 80s comic book and printed onto cropped clothing, now I know my style may not be to everyone's taste but that is just bizarre to me. And 'grunge' style but I'm pretty sure you could get that style from a charity/vintage shop whereas topshop charge £50 for a pair of ripped shorts.

I love British independent designers like Vivien of Holloway, Tara Starlet, Miss Patina.

Clothes shopping in Oz is not much fun. It swings between incrediby expensive for fairly average quality, to simply expensive for stuff the Primark would be embarassed to sell.

The experience it self it a disapoinment as the service is usually crap.

Not sure about Syndey, although I expect it has more choice than Adelaide, but here in Adelaide we have, amoung other places, Zara, Jigsaw, Karen Millan, Coast, Esprit, French Connection and Calvin Klien Jeans that are all brands I recognise from the UK. Plus a whole load of other stores that may or may not be international brands and a whole load of independent stores that sell everything from the bog standard everyday fashion to the really quirky and unusual. The quirkier stores tend to be a bit out of town, in the studenty kind of areas so worth getting out to the fringes of the main shopping areas.

You can buy nice bits quite cheaply, but bad quality.you can find some nice bits at markets, either second hand or hand made stuff. Top shop is really expensive I find compared to UK. Depending on your life style, going out a lot etc where you would wear nice clothes, you may find you trend to wear more casual stuff here.

people said to me before I arrived, that I would lose my fashion sense in Oz, and it's true, as I write i'm in leggings and a hoody..ha!!!

My friend often shops in the vintage shops in Melbourne and she always looks amazing. I'm sure there are similar places in Sydney too if that's where you are headed...

​Sadly as a new (ish) mother I can't afford or have the time to get to Melbs to shop (especially as I am in Perth!!) I am like you verystormy, I am always hugely disappointed with the quality and the price you pay for such crap quality. I am still breast feeding and the choices and styles of feeding clothes is horrendous, and don't even get me started on maternity wear.... Anyway probably not the OPs concern right now I would imagine!

Guest JK2510

Peter Alexander sells lovely PJs...lovely quality but be prepared to pay $70-$80 per pair....I used to love clothes shopping not so much now....

Peter Alexander is amazing I've never had anything from there before but since no one ever sees me sleeping I don't think it would be wise for me to spend that much!!

Thanks for your help guys! I think 'quirky' was probably the wrong word for my taste in clothes, I love LOVE pinup 1940s/50s style which is hard to find on the high street! Apparently Sydney has a good rockabilly scene so I hope to find nice clothes there!

Im not kidding when I say I own NO causal clothing. I only have one pair of jeans because I really only wear dresses & pencil skirts, I am overdressed every day of my life haha :)

Peter Alexander is amazing I've never had anything from there before but since no one ever sees me sleeping I don't think it would be wise for me to spend that much!!

Thanks for your help guys! I think 'quirky' was probably the wrong word for my taste in clothes, I love LOVE pinup 1940s/50s style which is hard to find on the high street! Apparently Sydney has a good rockabilly scene so I hope to find nice clothes there!

Im not kidding when I say I own NO causal clothing. I only have one pair of jeans because I really only wear dresses & pencil skirts, I am overdressed every day of my life haha :)

If you work in an office you will fit right in, people dress very smartly in the CBD. You will find lots of outfits for your style! :-)

Archived