Regions in Western Australia

maimenon

Hi...I would be moving with my family to Western Australia by this year end under the State Sponsored 190 visa. My hubby is the main applicant. We would be looking for jobs once we land there. I had a couple of questions related to my application:

a) In my application I need to give preferences of the regions where I would like to settle. My 1st preference is Perth. What are the other regions like in WA to settle down with a job? My hubby works in restaurants/cafeteria as manager back in India

b) How is the rental policy in WA? Is it possible for us to get an apartment or house on rent sitting in India from one of the real estate websites in India or do I need to be in WA and then look for rentals?

c) Is there any kind of bond applicable for rentals? If yes then how does these bonds work?

d) How are the job oppourtunities in the Hotel/Hospitality industry in WA?

e) Lastly, can anyone tell me how much one should earn to sustain a family of 3 (my hubby, myself and our 4 months old daughter) taking the fact that my hubby would do a full time job and myself a part time as I need to take care of the kid.

Please help me to clear these doubts....

First of all, you need to check out which regions you can settle in - is Perth one of them?

Second, you need to research what your jobs are likely to pay - have a look on seek.com.au as this will affect your choices. Perth rentals can be anywhere from $400 a week in a suburb a long way from the city to $1000 a week. You will need to be in the country to get a rental. Most people look for some short term accomoation for when they first arrive.

Yes, you will pay a bond. Normally this is 4 weeks rent, then 4 weeks rent in advance, so on accepting a property, you will hand over 8 weeks rent.

How much you need to earn, depends on the lifestyle you are used to. The average income is about $70k a year for an adult.

• 1 month later...
First of all, you need to check out which regions you can settle in - is Perth one of them?

Second, you need to research what your jobs are likely to pay - have a look on seek.com.au as this will affect your choices. Perth rentals can be anywhere from $400 a week in a suburb a long way from the city to $1000 a week. You will need to be in the country to get a rental. Most people look for some short term accomoation for when they first arrive.

Yes, you will pay a bond. Normally this is 4 weeks rent, then 4 weeks rent in advance, so on accepting a property, you will hand over 8 weeks rent.

How much you need to earn, depends on the lifestyle you are used to. The average income is about $70k a year for an adult.

And I believe that 70k and above will be enough for a 3 people family.

Agree with VS that you have to be sure Perth is a valid region for your visa - a quick google suggests to me it is be do very sure.

Other regions with the possibilities of a more urban lifestyle (with I assume you want if you prefer Perth) would be Peel (includes the Mandurah area) and South West (includes Bunbury).

Perth, Mandurah and Bunbury are the three largest cities in WA.

Perth and South West would have plenty of Hotel/Hospitality work although there would probably be enough in Peel too.

The rental questions have been answered well already.

As for how much is enough to live on, it is an almost impossible question to answer but I wouldn't be guided by the 'average' salary - that is the average individuals salary for a start not family salary and that takes into account part-time workers too. The average full-time salary is nearer $80k and in many cases within a family there will be a higher earner and a lower earner, in the way that you describe. The family income needs to be twice the individual average to be average overall - so the average family income is actually $140k - in fact anything less than $150k as a family and you are entitled to certain benefits.

The visa you come on will make a difference, on a temporary work visa you are not entitled to any of those benefits and many people struggle. On a 190 I believe you are entitled to benefits (such as childcare rebate, family tax allowances etc. straight away)

To be honest IMHO, I would avoid Perth if hospitality is the main industry then the South West region will probably give you a higher standard of living than Perth.

Thats an interesting article. I am tempted to make it into a thread of its own. A lot of people go on line and a job advertised at $70k from the UK and think wow, lets go to Oz, we will be far better off. Only to get here and find $70k really does not get you very far at all. Permission to borrow?

Thats an interesting article. I am tempted to make it into a thread of its own. A lot of people go on line and a job advertised at $70k from the UK and think wow, lets go to Oz, we will be far better off. Only to get here and find $70k really does not get you very far at all. Permission to borrow?

Of course you can, but really most people only see and hear what they want. Many people who moved to Perth before the boom can't see how different it is for newcomers, I even think it is harder now than it was 5 years ago when we came (both earning average salaries and struggling after being affluent in the UK).

I certainly wouldn't say $80,000 is a typical salary. Not after tax at any rate. Just looking around at jobs on offer goes further to prove that. It is outrageous that the article claims Perth to be more expensive than London.

Very sad what has happened here over the past eight or so years. Money and greed are certainly dominant features with Perth becoming a city for the well off.

Of course you can, but really most people only see and hear what they want. Many people who moved to Perth before the boom can't see how different it is for newcomers, I even think it is harder now than it was 5 years ago when we came (both earning average salaries and struggling after being affluent in the UK).

It is far harder than five years back but the rot started to set in around 2003/04. The property I bought in 00 has gone up close to 200% in that time. The rental market was so easy prior to 00 and prices fair.

Hard to be laid back in a place so expensive.

I certainly wouldn't say $80,000 is a typical salary. Not after tax at any rate. Just looking around at jobs on offer goes further to prove that. It is outrageous that the article claims Perth to be more expensive than London.

Very sad what has happened here over the past eight or so years. Money and greed are certainly dominant features with Perth becoming a city for the well off.

It won't be after tax for sure. Typical and average are not necessarily the same - but the average is what it is, if anything the true average will be higher due to self-employed artificially lowering their declared income for tax purposes (entirely legally in most cases).

In any case half the working population earn less than the average by definition.

It's just my opinion that a family living in Perth with a family income of $70k won't have it easy when they have just arrived. The fact there are benefits for families with an income of less than $150k suggests the government agrees.

I am not sure whether you are agreeing that Perth is expensive or not. I have not lived in London for 12 years so I can't really compare but I would still expect Perth to be cheaper.

It won't be after tax for sure. Typical and average are not necessarily the same - but the average is what it is, if anything the true average will be higher due to self-employed artificially lowering their declared income for tax purposes (entirely legally in most cases).

In any case half the working population earn less than the average by definition.

It's just my opinion that a family living in Perth with a family income of $70k won't have it easy when they have just arrived. The fact there are benefits for families with an income of less than $150k suggests the government agrees.

I am not sure whether you are agreeing that Perth is expensive or not. I have not lived in London for 12 years so I can't really compare but I would still expect Perth to be cheaper.

We lived there in 2010 in a private rental. As such it wasn't cheaper than Perth, but being W2 it could hardly be expected. Just the area I am most familiar with having lived there previously.

The cost of food found little cheaper and eating out as well depending on venue. Just the fact that we debate these days as to whether London or Perth is cheaper suggests something amiss in Perth.

London would always have been so hands down going back a decade and beyond. Perth has become grossly overpriced for what it is.

I lived in London for a year in 1997 and Perth feels cheaper now than London did then. Plus, the thing about London is it's absolutely grim unless you're loaded. Perth need not be, I know plenty of people who aren't loaded who have good lives.

It is fair to say that Perth is expensive though. Any city in the World that attracts migrants like Australian cities do is. HK, KL, Paris, London, Vancouver, NY etc. If somewhere is cheap, it's probably because people don't want to flock to live there.

I lived in London for a year in 1997 and Perth feels cheaper now than London did then. Plus, the thing about London is it's absolutely grim unless you're loaded. Perth need not be, I know plenty of people who aren't loaded who have good lives.

It is fair to say that Perth is expensive though. Any city in the World that attracts migrants like Australian cities do is. HK, KL, Paris, London, Vancouver, NY etc. If somewhere is cheap, it's probably because people don't want to flock to live there.

I asked my OH if he would rather stay in Perth if the only place we could live in the UK was London. The names he called me for asking such a question were unrepeatable!

I do agree that the so-called 'bad' areas of Perth are positively desirable compared to the truly bad areas of London (I used to be a social worker there so I have definitely seen the underbelly). The less desirable areas in Perth are mostly less desirable due to the distance from the city, proximity to the airport or lack of facilities - not the drugs, crime and prostitution! Many, many people live a VERY happy life in those outer suburbs. Me, I'd rather take my chances with drugs, crime and prostitution but that's me, I have always said I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death.

I must admit to a bit of a giggle to see Perth alongside Paris, London, NY etc. etc.

Perth or London can be equally grim without London. Both have pros and cons if poor, but Perth's rise to the ranks of an internationally expensive city in recent times has negated a lot of the former benefits.

London I believe need not be grim on a budget. There are so many cheap deals and places to go besides being a great walkable city. I lived there as a student on very low wages and though in basic rental had a ball most of the time. Most folk being in a similar situation at the time.

I asked my OH if he would rather stay in Perth if the only place we could live in the UK was London. The names he called me for asking such a question were unrepeatable!

I do agree that the so-called 'bad' areas of Perth are positively desirable compared to the truly bad areas of London (I used to be a social worker there so I have definitely seen the underbelly). The less desirable areas in Perth are mostly less desirable due to the distance from the city, proximity to the airport or lack of facilities - not the drugs, crime and prostitution! Many, many people live a VERY happy life in those outer suburbs. Me, I'd rather take my chances with drugs, crime and prostitution but that's me, I have always said I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death.

I must admit to a bit of a giggle to see Perth alongside Paris, London, NY etc. etc.

The good and bad areas are relative between both cities. You can't compare the density and numbers, but the issues of drug abuse and unsuitable living conditions due to environmental factors is as relevant to the individual concerned in either city.

And I believe that 70k and above will be enough for a 3 people family.

$70k for a family of 3, thats ambitious! Especially with WA getting more expensive. You would be living a very tight budget for three people on that wage.

Love that sentiment - I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death! Rings true :)

Archived