457 visa to 189 visa

marko166

Hi!

I would be really grateful if someone could tell me whether or not I need to get my skills assessed to apply for a 189 visa if I am currently working in the same occupation on a 457 visa?

I've been in Australia for 9 months so far but don't think the employer sponsored option after the two years is going to happen and therefore want to get the ball rolling.

Thanks for any help given.

Thanks for getting back to me. I thought this would be the case but I didn't want to spend the 550 dollars to get my degree assessed without asking. Also I have completed a three year degree and when looking at the website for assessing it they state that to qualify a 4 year degree must have been completed. I really hope they don't try and say that I need to do more study.

Thanks for getting back to me. I thought this would be the case but I didn't want to spend the 550 dollars to get my degree assessed without asking. Also I have completed a three year degree and when looking at the website for assessing it they state that to qualify a 4 year degree must have been completed. I really hope they don't try and say that I need to do more study.

Hey Marko.... I was on a 457 for 4 years and then got my own 189 visa.... As Rupert stated, you definitely need to get your skills accessed... I dont know what do you mean when you say " I have completed a three year degree and when looking at the website for assessing it they state that to qualify a 4 year degree must have been completed".... I have a bachelor's in Business which was a 3 year course with 6 semesters.... and I was able to claim 15 points for it.

Also my bachelors was not even assessed by any Australian authority like ACS or VETASSESS... All I did was, I checked if my Bachelors is relevant as per "Country Education Profiles -AEI - NOOSA". Google it and you will get any idea what I am talking about.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I'm also looking at applying for a 189 visa while on my 457 visa. Does anyone know of any potential issues in switching while still in the early days of a 457 visa?

Thanks.

Hi guys,

I'm also looking at applying for a 189 visa while on my 457 visa. Does anyone know of any potential issues in switching while still in the early days of a 457 visa?

Thanks.

You've just got to be sure that you WANT to become a permanent resident. We had started down the route of getting PR as we are currently on a 457, but due to some family issues it now looks like we may head back to the UK earlier and if so we may want to take our super back with us. For us the advantages of getting PR are rapidly dwindling, we now have more reasons not to get it.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to clarify a doubt. I am currently under 457 and however planning to apply for 189.

My concern is that, the ESOL skill that i am currently under for 457 is different from SOL Skill that i am wanting to apply through 189. Will this clash and create a problem or It is okay to go ahead?

Archived