Pre-pay mobile sim card - which provider?

NZtoMelbourne

Just wanting a quick bit of advice. I have a cellphone and will probably end up replacing it with an on-plan phone (either myself or through work), but on arrival in Melbourne I want to get a sim card to put in my existing phone so I have an immediate Aussie number.

I did a bit of reading and see no matter which provider I go with I can take my new number with me (so changing providers when I go on plan won't be an issue) but does anyone have a recommendation of who to buy the initial sim card/which company to do a pre-pay deal with to begin?

Thanks so much,

We used Lebara as it incorporated very cheap calls to the UK and included a 3G allowance ($29.90 per month). We bought phones that could be turned into wifi hotspots and as as result we did not need to pay for broadband until we bought our own house. Once we knew we were going to buy quickly and looked at the moving fees with the large broadband companies, it became a no-brainer for us.

However, now we have broadband we are going to move over to having a mobile with our broadband provider as it is only $20 per month.

Archived