Travel costs of a reccie worth it?

Lou8670

Just wondering if anyone thinks its worth a reccie before the big move. We've been to Australia a couple of times and plan to move to Perth. I would prefer to do a reccie but think my OH just wants to move as soon as our visa comes through and we sell the house. I want to know we are making the right decision.

I was going to repeat my usual line on this, that a reccie is a holiday and it won't tell you whether you will like it there or not. And I do think that. But then I thought, if you need this trip to make sure and I found can afford it then why not. It is better that you are united in wanting to do this move.

A lot of people need to make a validation trip as they are not ready to make the permanent move and then this becomes the reccie trip.

In my case doing the reccie trip has been worth the money, in a sad way. I have been granted 190 visa with ACT sponsorship. I have been every where else in Oz but not ACT so last week and this Im in Canberra. I have been doing a lot of walking, talking to recruitment agencies and the locals. My conclusion is that ACT is not the place for me. So am glad i spent the extra money on this trip but off course sad that I can't move here. I also had a job interview for a job as a recruitment consultant but not being a citizen for those jobs means I can't work as one.

If you guys have been to Perth and know the area it might not be needed but think and talk to each other a lot about it. I will go home to Denmark and see what I can do about my move to OZ, I gues employer sponsored visa is one way.

Best of luck to you guys!

Yea debatable answer I think, I am on day two of my 2 week reccie. Main purpose to activate and not ready...financially and emotionally to permanently come out. If on heads been before then just come out as is a lot of money. I am bless as got tickets for 2400 for the four of us and am put up by cousins. So have minimal spending money etc we are on the fence of. Coming as recently a business opportunity has come for my oh which has out a cat among the pigeons. Had I not done this reccie I would be forever wondering etc so 2 weeks can help us decide but s others say it is not enough to plan your whole life...I have done extensive research and so it has been alert its weight in gold. The oz people I am talking about know less than do abut sydney etc...not in a bad way I meant hat but helps me feel I know the city on paper so the two weeks can fill wheel of a lot of blanks for me

ha yeah I did a reccie and wasnt too impressed with Oz but I had committed before anyway so pretty much had to go anyway.

Lets just say that I would have prefered not to have come as I still dont find it any better than the UK and I'm worse off

That said I can say that I tried it and ticked that box so I wont ever need to wonder about it - i totally know its sh*te :biggrin:

Thanks guys! I always find others views and comments really helpful. If I were single or if it was just me and my hubby I wouldn't give it a second thought! But we have 3 kids aged 6,6,8.

Also, we are looking to move to Perth because SIL lives there and it's great for families but personally I preferred the East coast (I say preferred as I haven't been to the East coast for 14 years).

A reccie would be good in October as SIL is getting married and it may come to that as we'd love to go but just waiting to see what happens with our visa before deciding. Trouble is it will be costly as the rest of the visiting family's as bagged staying at my SIL and fiancees families houses so we would have to find somewhere else to stay.

Lou

I am bless as got tickets for 2400 for the four of us and am put up by cousins.

Be grateful if you could let me know how you got such reasonable flights. I've looked recently and cheapest I could find for when we want to fly is £3.5k. There are 5 of us but would like to save a further £500 if we decide to do a reccie in October.

Hi Lou

I think a reccie / validation trip is definitely worth it - we were last in Sydney 4 years ago and it has changed in that time, as it will over the next 4 years. When you visited before was it on holiday or once you'd decided to immigrate? We have been several times before but really looked at things in a different way this time. We also looked at areas that we'd like to live beforehand and found an apartment in that sort of area which really helped us get a feel for things. Also if you would potentially prefer the East Coast then could you consider visiting there again - it's much easier to change cities before you get there than afterwards. I appreciate it's all extra cost and you'll only find out limited amounts of information in the few weeks you'll be there but IMO it would be worth it. Also our children are 8 & 6 and are now completely ready to move out if we decide to - I'm sure we'll still have tears etc nearer the time but at least they agree with the idea of it. BA often have a bank holiday sale so it would be worth looking at that. Good luck with the decision

• 2 months later...
Guest The Ropey HOFF

A reccie shows you what it looks like where you are going, but does it give a true insight into what your life will be like living there, a little bit, but not fully. Our reccie to Brisbane was fantastic, we also loved Perth, what's not to love.

If you are really not sure which part of Oz you prefer, then I would say Yes do a reccie. We knew we wanted to be in Perth. Admittedly, we have never lived there (only in Sydney), but we have been a few times so know ticks a lot of our boxes.

If you do decide on doing a reccie, my advice would be to go to some home openings, speak to recruitment agencies, visit schools, if you are commuting, do the train journey into the CBD/get on the freeway during the rush hour. These are all things that will determine whether a place is for you or not and will also help narrow down which suburbs appeal to you.

Be grateful if you could let me know how you got such reasonable flights. I've looked recently and cheapest I could find for when we want to fly is £3.5k. There are 5 of us but would like to save a further £500 if we decide to do a reccie in October.

I don't think Murta is flying from the UK. We are flying from Perth to Heathrow for around $2400 for 3 of us so about £1500 - and this is with 30kg of luggage. We fly with Air Asia to KL and Sri Lankan airways to Heathrow. There are cheap options flying via India too.

From my experience a reccie is a waste of money, we came, we didn't like Perth much, had interviews whilst we were there, were offered jobs and came anyway. If was only reading my reccie blog recently with the benefit of hindsight and we clearly ignored our own findings and to be honest don't regret it

Get the two weeks holiday paid out, leave for Oz two weeks earlier and have a reccie then. In fact use the money saved on the flights to have a longer 'reccie'.

No amount of research really prepares you for how you will feel, and a reccie doesnt help with that really

Archived