Advice about medical and police check (UK)

Maggie2012

Hello All,

We have been following this thread for some time now and finally we've got the ACT state sponsorship approved and invitation. We are about to lodge the visa application, but have some silly questions about some documents needed.

We'll be migrating from the UK (Peterborough) and we are aware that we'd need a medical and police check. However, reading some of the threads we are a bit confused: should we get the medicals and police check done or should we wait until DIAC ask for these? Some people said, they were not asked for these on a 190 subclass visa, but others advised to get this done. Any advice on this please?

​Also, where do you send to get the police checks done and which police check do we need? I don't think we ever needed anything like this before.

​Secondly, we know that the medical checks are about £290 per person, but what does it really consists of? (besides the X rays and the HIV test). Blood pressure checks and such? how long does it take to get the results back?

All feedback is appreciated, we are ope to be in Canberra by October, depending on how fast the visa is granted..

Thank you and regards from Helen and Kris

I would do the police checks as soon as you can as they take 3 weeks and do the medicals once you have applied there is a form to download once you apply it is just a little easier to do it that way and then book with hospital on DIAC list near you. I think the police check is done through ACPO (google it) and follow their instructions.

The more on the ball you are and prepared the faster your visa will come, ours took 5 weeks from applying to grant.

Thank you for the swift reply, 5 weeks is fantastic, we thought it is more like 5-6 months. Just printed out the forms for the police check, thank you again.

Would you have any words on the medical? We are only asking to see what it involves and how long may it take. We'll need to go into London to get it done since no clinics closer to us.

Thank you for the swift reply, 5 weeks is fantastic, we thought it is more like 5-6 months. Just printed out the forms for the police check, thank you again.

Would you have any words on the medical? We are only asking to see what it involves and how long may it take. We'll need to go into London to get it done since no clinics closer to us.

Once you pay your visa fee you will get a TRN number and on logging into te system there should be a link to book your Medicals and complete the online forms (at least it did with ours a few weeks ago).

We've booked our medical at Sutton Coldfield and have been told to allow 3 hours...there are 5 of us though so I think they are staggering the various tests. If you give Sutton a call they are very helpful and were able to answer al of my questions.

The Medicals are about £320 for an adult and £90/£100 for a child under 11 years old.

Well, same distance, thought London might be better (and £20 pounds cheaper supposedly). Good to hear it is not too complicated, I was worried they'd do EKG and such as well :-)

No, it's quite thorough but not invasive.

The reason it can take 3 hours is because the Visa clinics normally have a collection of doctors each checking something different, so you wait around on a conveyor system being called to different rooms for different tests, eventually your checklist is complete and you can go.

I remember our Saturday morning clinic in Handsworth Wood, Birmingham had around 150 people, but it was very efficient and we were done in 2 hours. Seems a very long time ago now !

Edited by Slean Wolfhead

The full instructions for panel doctors are listed here: http://www.immi.gov.au/gateways/panel_doctors/conducting_medicals/instructions/

One thing you should consider, is that you are only given a maximum of 12 months from the date of your medicals / police checks (whichever is older) to activate your visa. So unless you are ready to migrate sooner rather than later, an early date on your medicals / police checks could mean an expensive trip to Australia to activate the visa.

No, it's quite thorough but not invasive.

The reason it can take 3 hours is because the Visa clinics normally have a collection of doctors each checking something different, so you wait around on a conveyor system being called to different rooms for different tests, eventually your checklist is complete and you can go.

I remember our Saturday morning clinic in Handsworth Wood, Birmingham had around 150 people, but it was very efficient and we were done in 2 hours. Seems a very long time ago now !

We went to Brentwood and only 3 other people there I suppose it depends on the day but we were out in around an hour and a half for 3 of us.

The full instructions for panel doctors are listed here: http://www.immi.gov.au/gateways/panel_doctors/conducting_medicals/instructions/

One thing you should consider, is that you are only given a maximum of 12 months from the date of your medicals / police checks (whichever is older) to activate your visa. So unless you are ready to migrate sooner rather than later, an early date on your medicals / police checks could mean an expensive trip to Australia to activate the visa.

Yes, we are aware of this and we are ready to go within a month or two. It has been some time in planning. We started the process last year after we came back from a 3 week trip campervan-ing from Brissy down to Melbourne. So yeah, we are definitely ready for the move!

Yes, we are aware of this and we are ready to go within a month or two. It has been some time in planning. We started the process last year after we came back from a 3 week trip campervan-ing from Brissy down to Melbourne. So yeah, we are definitely ready for the move!

Cool. Canberra is a lovely place to live - just don't tell anyone else :wubclub:

We went to Brentwood and only 3 other people there I suppose it depends on the day but we were out in around an hour and a half for 3 of us.

Just looked the map and Brentwood is slightly closer to us than Birmingham. So we might just go there. Do you just call up and ask for an appointment once you got your TRN number? How long it took to book and would they do Saturdays as well? It is just the 2 of us at the moment, so hopefully it will be swift as yours :-)

Just looked the map and Brentwood is slightly closer to us than Birmingham. So we might just go there. Do you just call up and ask for an appointment once you got your TRN number? How long it took to book and would they do Saturdays as well? It is just the 2 of us at the moment, so hopefully it will be swift as yours :-)

Yes once we applied I rang the hospital and they had our record of the TRN and then made the appointment, you will need to pay when you book.

Because it's the last piece of the puzzle for my partner visa and everything has gone too smoothly thus far lol! I'd just like to be more familiar on how it's done really.

I see, you should be happy about that things went smoothly rather..let you know if anything of concern

Because it's the last piece of the puzzle for my partner visa and everything has gone too smoothly thus far lol! I'd just like to be more familiar on how it's done really.

Got our confirmation letter from Brentwoood. It states to take form 26 and 160 with us. If you look at it, it has check points what the doc will check. And that is the best advisory you can get on what will your examination consist of. Hope that helps ;-)

Got our confirmation letter from Brentwoood. It states to take form 26 and 160 with us. If you look at it, it has check points what the doc will check. And that is the best advisory you can get on what will your examination consist of. Hope that helps ;-)

Actually THIS is the best advistory you can get on what you examination will consist of: http://www.immi.gov.au/gateways/panel_doctors/conducting_medicals/instructions/

Even tells you have the doctor grades your results :wubclub:

Hiya

I dont know much about that visa but for my application I front loaded everything.

Police checks are done in Hampshire go to the ACPO police site and they will advise. You pay more if you want it quicker. You can only do medicals at approved Drs - the Immigration site gives the list. Medical is not too intrusive but they measure your waist (links for diabetes and other illness etc - that really worried me as I carry a bit around the middle!) but all okay.

What else? Blood tests to have. The Drs usually send the information onto Immigration, if I remember correctly.

The police check takes the longest and if you have been to any other country for a long time, you need police checks from those countries too.

Oh yes - stat decs. Mine took a while as everyone has to provide their passport or birth certificate or drivers licence to go with the stat dec.

I'm sure others will give you valuable information too.

Good luck!