I NEED HELP!!! must be going wrong some where??

MichaelD

Hey there all,

Well into my second week in Sydney and i have to say i love the place!!!

Big problem is im getting no where with my job hunting! I monitor Gumtree all day and apply for pretty much anything and every thing but ive not had a single call back or email. I need to find something and i will take anything but for what ever reason work is being far from forth coming.

Im over on the back of my wifes 457, her job pays well enough to keep us going but i need something and fast!

If anyone can help at all im at my wits end. I dont know if its where im looking, how im apllying, but what ever it is needs sorting!

Im your standard jack of all trades, no qualifications but the abillity to turn my hand to anything from fixing mobile phones ( was a lucrative sideline back in the UK) to rebuilding lorry engines, I never had trouble getting work in England, a quick trip to pertemps or Adecco would have me in a temp job with in days when i needed the work but i cant find anything like that here.

This is a real cry for help as its starting to put allot of strain on things at home and after the stress of moving 12000 miles its the last thing me or my wife needs!!

So please, if any one can help, just get in touch!

Recruitment works a little differently in Australia - sorry, I hope that doesn't sound patronising!

You'll find that you need to use the personal touch. Call people instead of emailing, go round businesses face to face and see if they have anything going. Possibly register with a recruitment agency - not online, again face to face. Hays tend to offer jobs in all sectors so they might be worth a try.

Also, Australianise (probably not a real word!) your CV. It does need to be slightly different from the standard UK version.

This thread might be helpful:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/jobs-careers/140658-tips-writing-competitive-aussie-cvs.html

Oh dear, sorry to hear that but you've only been there a couple of weeks and there are, sadly a couple of things that aren't in your favour - you don't have a particular skill and you are on a temp visa. Have you tried walking the malls? Shops often put notices in their windows for staff. I'd venture further afield than Gumtree tbh - the Sydney newspapers would be a better starting point.

you might think, too of getting your RSA & RSG certificates so you could pick up bar work or pubs work or maybe do a cert in security for example.

it might be wise to revise your expectation of a time frame - I'd be worried after 3 months not a couple of weeks - have you tried Adecco in Sydney http://www.adecco.com.au/en-AU/contact-us/Pages/new-south-wales.aspx

• 1 month later...

Hi, try these agencies too, Chandler MacLeod, Julia Ross, PKL. We are in the same position as you :-( Definitely phone up rather than email (or phone after emailing them your CV) the aussies like that. Good luck!

Archived