Wee boy recovered from Leukaemia: missed validating his 176 visa

craigyboy

Hi all,

Perhaps this question might be answered by Allan Collett or Wrussell:

Backgound

A good friend of mine has a remarkable wee boy. His name is Ryan , who after a successful bone marrow transplant recovered from cancer last year. Wee Ryan has been given the all clear from his Oncologist However, his cancer was found exactly a week after his family where all granted the then 176 state sponsored visa 2 years ago. Naturally, the family immediately put the Australian dream on hold, as wee Ryan was about to, over the coming year, face the fight of his young life. Thankfully, Ryan beat the cancer after a year and as a consequence only routine visits to the hospital for 6 monthly check ups etc are the level of care required.

Dilemma

Ryan, due to not being strong enough to fly out to Australia and validate his visa within the one year deadline; unfortunately is the only member of the family not to validate his original 176 visa.

What do they do?

Can anyone advise what is the next course of action to get wee Ryan, after all he and his family have been through, into Australia and let this family who deserve a positive restart to their life's: and thus allow them to begin their Australian adventure at last?

Cant they just apply for a Child visa for him now as the parents are PR?

AJ, good point, and the child visa would be the route, but he has a visa and the child visa starting from scratch, can take up to 12 months. However, you would think that due to the extenuating circumstances the Australian authorities, once satisfied with the wee fella's health, would simply reissue a visa and let the family make the big move now, particularly after all they have been through.

AJ, good point, and the child visa would be the route, but he has a visa and the child visa starting from scratch, can take up to 12 months. However, you would think that due to the extenuating circumstances the Australian authorities, once satisfied with the wee fella's health, would simply reissue a visa and let the family make the big move now, particularly after all they have been through.

anyone??????

did they contact DIAC to explain the circumstances at the time?

Hi Northern Bird, I don't know the answer to that, but I do know after a conversation today the Australian Embassy in London fully appreciate the situation, and have suggested due to the circumstances there may be a way to side step the issue of going for a parent visa. The family are contacting their case officer over the next few days.

Oh, the poor little guy! I'm so glad he's recovered and is doing so much better.

I am wondering, though - don't shoot the messenger, but I thought DIAC gave people with a history of cancer (even little children) a really hard time about getting visas? They may be looking at a hard road here.

Oh, the poor little guy! I'm so glad he's recovered and is doing so much better.

I am wondering, though - don't shoot the messenger, but I thought DIAC gave people with a history of cancer (even little children) a really hard time about getting visas? They may be looking at a hard road here.

No worries College Girl: It's more about the type of cancer and know that the wee boy has no cancer in his system. Therefore, with the DIAC it is more about the chance of the cancer returning and or how many years are you clear of it and if necessary your ability to finance any care in the event of a dreaded relapse i.e. will you be a burden on the state.

It may be a difficult one but they may have gotten an extension if they had contacted DIAC before the validation period expired, think too much time has passed to be able to get extension now plus with the change in circumstances. Child 101 would be way to go, and takes about 7 months for this. As family already have visas he would be able to get a health waiver if issues with medical. George Lombard is an agent that is often recommended with medical issues they should try and speak to him themselves.

It may be a difficult one but they may have gotten an extension if they had contacted DIAC before the validation period expired, think too much time has passed to be able to get extension now plus with the change in circumstances. Child 101 would be way to go, and takes about 7 months for this. As family already have visas he would be able to get a health waiver if issues with medical. George Lombard is an agent that is often recommended with medical issues they should try and speak to him themselves.

Labourvellec, where have you been hiding my darling lol.

Hi all,

Perhaps this question might be answered by Allan Collett or Wrussell:

Backgound

A good friend of mine has a remarkable wee boy. His name is Ryan Ferguson, who after a successful bone marrow transplant recovered from cancer last year. Wee Ryan has been given the all clear from his Oncologist However, his cancer was found exactly a week after his family where all granted the then 176 state sponsored visa 2 years ago. Naturally, the family immediately put the Australian dream on hold, as wee Ryan was about to, over the coming year, face the fight of his young life. Thankfully, Ryan beat the cancer after a year and as a consequence only routine visits to the hospital for 6 monthly check ups etc are the level of care required.

Dilemma

Ryan, due to not being strong enough to fly out to Australia and validate his visa within the one year deadline; unfortunately is the only member of the family not to validate his original 176 visa.

What do they do?

Can anyone advise what is the next course of action to get wee Ryan, after all he and his family have been through, into Australia and let this family who deserve a positive restart to their life's: and thus allow them to begin their Australian adventure at last?

Can anyone help!!!!!

I think child visa is probably the best path for them at this stage because the visa has already lapsed. Unfortunately I don't think that compassion will come into it with DIAC, if anything I think things might get tricky for them because of the medical issue. Still don't ask don't get, maybe they just need to bite the bullet and email DIAC and see what they say, but I don't think there is any "formal" path they can follow that is designed for such a situation.

Archived